Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV bible question

I know the standard text for screenplays is Courier font, 12-point to get uniform spacing size etc?

What about a bible? Any similar restrictions on font there?
    I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Re: TV bible question

I write my series docs in Helvetica 12 pt. No real reason why, other than I'm usually sick of looking at Courier after writing a script to completion.

Comment

Cool thanks. I've gone for TrebuchetMS 12, nice and plain, easy to read.

A last minute panic reformat to courier added a couple of needless pages.
      I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
        I know the standard text for screenplays is Courier font, 12-point to get uniform spacing size etc?

What about a bible? Any similar restrictions on font there?
        Yes, of course there are restrictions. You absolutely must use Papyrus for the headlines and Comic Sans for everything else.

No, apparently there aren't any font or typeface restrictions for TV show bibles. (I just googled: TV show series bible font.)

It may make sense to use typography that compliments the world, culture, period, genre and tone of the story that you're pitching.

But if you're not feeling that creative, then simply make legibility your priority. You can't go wrong with a moderate-contrast open-countered slab-serif typeface such as Georgia - which you may already have on your PC.

It's best not to use a sans-serif typeface, such as Trebuchet, for body text. They have poor readability at that size and in that context. There is a good reason for the existence of serifs. Be civilised, and just use the sans-serifs for headlines, or captions, or page numbers.

BTW, your switch from Trebuchet to Courier was bound to add inches because Trebuchet is a proportional typeface but Courier is monospaced/fixed-width typeface.
        Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
        "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Thanks Crayon. Wanted to get this right and part of that was getting it look right on the page for an easy fast read.

Wondered about courier, changed the whole doc over, all my formatting got screwed up, so thought do it once, do it right
          I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X