Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2019, 01:44 PM   #111
GucciGhostXXX

Default Re: Note To Gucci: Mazin's Point On "Summing Up Your Characters"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
And to add ó none of this is truly important. On here itís pretty gentle. But I still see writers attacking on twitter Craig Mazin for his views on how the WGA leadership is running things. And I cringe. Because thatís what has changed a lot. These online forum fights will always happen but what disheartens me is the real fights on social media where people that agree 99% about real life issues still will attack each other as people. Over jokes. Over different POV. Over not being PC. So to see writers still attacking Craig in a mean way is sad. Disagree or agree.

We got to get back to being a country that two people who disagree about everything can still agree on the basic principles of humanity. And break bread together.

I enjoy the jokes. The ball busting. The fights. The tangents. The different personalities. The rants. The empty threats. But sometimes you gotta step back and realize we may disagree but weíre all writers. We should all be on the same side.
100% Agreed!
Old 09-25-2019, 01:52 PM   #112
Bono

I only believe what I wrote 87%, but I SEE you Gucci. I see you.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:56 PM   #113
GucciGhostXXX

Adverbs? I use them all the time. But I do RECOGNIZE when I'm doing it and stop to consider if I NEED it for the narrative to feel right (i.e. POP!)
Old 09-25-2019, 05:20 PM   #114
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
Adverbs? I use them all the time. But I do RECOGNIZE when I'm doing it and stop to consider if I NEED it for the narrative to feel right (i.e. POP!)
Solid.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:58 PM   #115
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
I only believe what I wrote 87%, but I SEE you Gucci. I see you.
I see you back, bruh!
Old 09-30-2019, 10:01 AM   #116
Mark Twain Weck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNYC View Post
In the script pages forum, Gucci posted some pages to a potential TV series. The majority of Gucciís style of writing for character introductions is TELLING, not SHOWING. He SHOWS on screen what he TELLS after the character introductions.

When it comes to character introductions, I believe a discussion on SHOWING and TELLING should be done publicly, so this is why Iím posting here and not in Gucciís private thread.

Please, donít reveal any details about Gucciís pages without permission from Gucci.

There are some writers pro and non-pro who donít like the style of TELLING. They believe itís stronger to reveal character through action, which I agree with, but if TELLING and/or the use of unfilmables is the writerís taste and style, I donít have a problem with it -- if itís done well.

There are some writers who are dogmatic about TELLING, but when it comes to creativity, I believe a writer should be allowed leeway.
I got to here and had a brain-fart. It went like this...

Used in a SPEC script which is also designed to attract interest from ACTORS who might like to know what kind of character they're playing, seems cool to me.

So yeah. There's my brain-fart.

Now, should I bother to read the entire thread? Or should I it? Are there any good fights?

Mark
Old 09-30-2019, 01:01 PM   #117
GucciGhostXXX

Meh... I'd skip it.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:00 AM   #118
Julysses
User

what did I miss?
Julysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:07 PM   #119
Julysses
User

This is a great drama thread between JoeNYC and Gucci, flashbacks of Craig Mazin and Jeff Lowell added to the drama... they heighten the response of the protagonist

it does get compelling and Gucci does push the thread forward by double posting to keep the drama going. The phrase, "not good craft" is repeated too much and loses it's power after a page or two... the twist of using an Affleck movie as an example of worse telling, was a good twist. Pointing out how Affleck already know who he is and doesn't need an introduction

Quote:
Just outside Philly, 30-something Jack Cunningham works construction, lives alone, and drinks on the daily. We get a good idea of what this manís life is like when he strolls into a bar after workÖ on Thanksgiving. Problem with booze? Check.
this genius level of writing allows the Affleck to not shave for the production and "act like he's drunk" ... very smart

I know I'm into the 2nd act on this one, but do wonder what reveals we have for JoeNYC's script pages or if Gucci is actually dating his manager and that why they love his work... so many questions,, I can't wait

Julysses is offline   Reply With Quote