Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Indie camera?

For all you writers who also dabble in indie filmmaking, can you suggest a good professional camera to cut my teeth with on a few shorts? I have my eye on a used Canon XL2 Digital Camcorder. Any opinions? Thanx.

Re: Which Indie camera?

Originally posted by SpecMan13 View Post
    For all you writers who also dabble in indie filmmaking, can you suggest a good professional camera to cut my teeth with on a few shorts? I have my eye on a used Canon XL2 Digital Camcorder. Any opinions? Thanx.
    Ed Burns says he's doing everything on the Canon 5d DSLR now.

Comment

Thanks MikeWrites, I will check that one out.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewrites View Post
        Ed Burns says he's doing everything on the Canon 5d DSLR now.
        I read they used this camera to shoot the final episode of House also.

You can read the details here http://marclougee.com/2010/04/16/hou...canon-5d-dslr/

Watching the trailer to Burns' Newlyweds makes me think this camera needs to be stabilized, it looks like it's shaking around a bit, unless it's just youtube, or my eyes at 4am. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhPd-b1LAMM

I was wondering about using these cameras also, as far as lenses and attachments for good audio. From what I've read it's not great for "run and gun" type of action.

Personally I like the "bigger" cameras, I'm more used to the feel I think. If your just getting something to start, or play around with, there is the good ol GL2 (nonHD) or as you mentioned the XL2.

Whatever the camera you use, make sure you take your time setting up shots and don't forget the audio!

I can't you how many times I watched, or even shot, something that looks great, but the audio came out like crap. I can't stand watching that stuff.

Comment

Thanks for the good advice, PJC! Like you I too love the feel and the vibe of the bigger camera. The Mark II images look damn good from what I seen in your link, but I think I'll stick with the LX2 for now. Thanks again... and I'll make sure to pay attention to the audio as well.

Comment

The latest DSLRs are really what's being used all over at the moment. I used a Canon 550d (T2i) to shoot a short last year and it was great, would definitely use it again.

You wouldn't notice much difference in image quality between a T2i and a MkII (but the price tag is certainly different). The MkII has a full-frame sensor though, so you'll need to ensure the lenses you use are also full frame.

T3i's are out now and so is the MkIII which I had a play with the other week, and Nikon's equivalent to the MkIII – the D800 – which I had a play with today, but really it's all about the lenses and lighting for image quality.

The extras will cost too, such as a follow focus, shoulder rig, slider etc.

Take a look at this, a kind of DSLR hybrid which is really exciting people in the indie world at the moment: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/prod...iccinemacamera
            Last edited by CrackDown; 08-24-2012, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Wow CrackDown! That looks amazing... and a little intimidating to boot. Although I still like the bigger camera that link you provided has me doubting my initial thoughts. I can certainly see myself trying to conquer that! Thanks, that baby is going into my bookmark file for sure!

Comment

There was a thread on this topic recently which may be of interest: http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=67642

Comment

Thanks for the lead Rhodi. Loved the insight by Why One and others. I'm torn but I think I'm gonna stick with my first choice for now and then maybe upgrade once I have some personal experience on the matter. Besides my young daughter wants to get her hands on it when I'm done. Creative kids.

Comment

Yes, the Blackmagic got a plug. That's the only camera I am currently considering. Everything that comes out of it looks like instant indie film. Has uncompressed mode with 12 bit color (as opposed to the highly compressed 8 bit color of the Canon dslrs). It has native dynamic range that is similar to the $35k Epic and $60k Alexa. And it's cheaper than a MK3.

first footage

P.S.
                    12 bit color is 4096 shades
                    8 bit color is 256 shades
                    Hell of a Deal -- Political Film Blog

Comment

Another vote, at least theoretically, for the BlackMagic camera:

http://prolost.com/blog/2012/8/22/bl...ma-camera.html

I have the Canon 5dII and T2i and they're great, but not terribly easy to use as video cameras. (They were, after all, designed first as still cameras. Video was an afterthought. They scan still produce great video, though.) Their audio is good only for a synch track; you should be using dual system sound anyway, and the Zoom H4N is cheap and sounds great.

I shoot most of my stuff on the 5DII.

I discuss cameras a little bit here, with examples. Hope you find it useful.

Comment

Thanx for the input, Concord. Your link was very helpful!

Comment

Canon C300, the film camera equivalent to the film stills 5D, although with much greater capabilities and some really cool features.

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

Very nice lead, Spacefarer! I googled the Canon C300 and saw a nice demo. It truly has several benefits to my liking, however, I wasn't too thrilled about the price. 15 grand! Still, when I'm ready to upgrade to a HD I would be a fool if I didn't considered the C300.

Comment

I know a fair amount about this topic. You should start with your budget, and then I can provide recommendations.

FIRST: DO NOT BUY AN XL2! The XL2 is an old standard definition camcorder and is not meant to produce footage for high-definition displays.

The Black Magic camera is very cool, but you need to have a lot of storage space to work with the files, so be prepared to spend one thousand or more in hard drives if you are doing proper backups and are shooting anything of length. You'll also need to rig the camera, and you'll need to setup your own battery solution for longer shoots.

Also, I hate to correct other posters, but not everything the Black Magic cam shoots instantly looks like Indie film. It shoots raw footage (Like a stills camera) and you need to understand what you are doing. After you shoot, assuming you are shooting raw (Which is the big selling feature of the camera), you have to color your footage which is an art/science that takes a of of time to learn. It won't be easy for a lay person to use. Prepare to spend time learning about it. Cool camera though.

By the way, if you order one, it will take a while to show up. It hasn't shipped yet and the new-jack DPs have ordered the hell out of it so it will take a while for you to get one.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money, want a smaller rig, and you aren't going to shot for a little while, you may want to take a look at the Canon EOS-M http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mera_with.html

Otherwise, if you want to start shooting now, I would say pick up a used Canon t3i. You don't need to get a degree to use it, take a little time to learn about it and you can shoot some nice work, and once you get your feet wet you can shoot really nice still shots as well.

It records onto cheap SD cards, which are so cheap now that you can use them as your archive after you transfer the footage to your hard-drive.

Used: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...i_Digital.html

New: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...i_Digital.html

Also New: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...i_Digital.html

Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X