No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How to Make it in Hollywood

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
    Is the Todd Karate in this thread the Todd Karate of Asshole Ninja fame? If so, welcome aboard.

If not, welcome aboard.

Yea, I think he is but I don't think he really knows any karate, at least not any styles from this planet.
    TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

Last I seen him, Mr. Karate, was propelling himself around in a Restaurant lobster tank. Doing some fancy research I guess.
      Last edited by Mark Somers; 01-09-2011, 03:15 PM.
      TRIAL FORUMS

Comment

Originally posted by AJ_FIN
        Rantanplan, I would say you made the right choice. That's what I'm doing right now: living on my own, no day job, just writing and researching. At this point of my career, that's more valuable than networking.
        Yeah but freedom is a very dangerous thing... extremely hard to give up.

I kept thinking, OK, next month I'll look for a job. Okay, NEXT month. Okay, seriously, NEXT MONTH!! Okay, in three weeks. Damn, okay, in two weeks, no seriously, in one week.

And oh holly sh1t, what in the world have I gotten myself into? Yep.

Comment

Right now, the only thing I miss about the day job is the money

And I had a GREAT day job. That brought me a lot of wonderful experiences.

But now it's all about the writing and the freedom.

Comment

Why don't you just do what all of the other immigrants and visitors to the U.S. do - sneak into the country and go to some guy on a street corner in downtown L.A. and buy a bunch of fake documents?

Just kidding!
            "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Actually, I know a Finnish guy who lives in Compton illegally. Not something I would do.
              Yeah, I wouldn't advise living in Compton either! Oh, wait, you just meant illegally?

Now there's a sitcom right there - a Finnish illegal living in Compton. Get writing! You, my friend, have just found your golden ticket to Hollywood!
              "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Oh yeah, I remember reading about your experience on Two Adverbs. Could you tell more about it (how long you can stay, what you can do, what you can't do) or even start a new thread? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you have studio assignment in the bag when you applied for the O-1? Is this necessary or would it be sufficient just to

1) Get something made in Europe
                2) Get an agent
                3) Get $5000
                4) Get letters from execs/producers/agents and couple of reviews/interviews about the stuff that you've made

I think what I'm trying to ask here is, what is the minimum amount of achievements etc. you have to have to qualify? In the ballpark, of course.

Thanks in advance
                Sh!t answer: I'm not a lawyer. I can only really speak to my experience. You can get the gist of the guidelines and evidence required here but, in truth, they're a little vague.

I did indeed have a studio gig on the table when I applied for my first O-1 (with the studio as my sponsor), and I wouldn't have made the criteria without it. The contract was evidence of a "high salary" and, I believe, a letter of approval from the WGA is also required (helps if you're part of/joining the WGA). First visa is a 3-year term, after which you can extend it annually.

I can't speak to the "minimum amount" you need to qualify for an O-1, but the easiest route to have a good shot at being approved is to land a WGA-level writing job, and then have the company sponsor/pay for it. Having other evidence of "extraordinary ability" -- awards/press -- can only help.

Warned you it was a sh!t answer.
                twitter.com/leespatterson

Comment

Originally posted by Racecarrobb View Post
                  I think I'm going to stop reading about whether or not people should move to the
                  City of Angles and just freakin' write.

Ditto
                  sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
                    Is the Todd Karate in this thread the Todd Karate of Asshole Ninja fame? If so, welcome aboard.

If not, welcome aboard.
                    I didn't realize ******* Ninja was famous, but that's me.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Karate View Post
                      For you folks who don't live in LA, what exactly is your threshold for moving out here? A spec sale? A spec sale for more than XXX number of dollars?
                      About $5,000-7,000 in savings, and at least one roommate to split the cost of an apartment with. (The latter of those to I already have several options for.) Preferable would be an assistant job lined up beforehand, but with openings popping up literally every day, that might not be 100% necessary. A job waiting for me would be quite nice. As would having a spec sale under my belt to make the transition a tad cushier dollar wise.

Regardless, even if I don't make my intended savings goal, I will be moving out there this September anyway. I've given myself four months out of college to scrounge up the dough. Anything beyond that is delaying, and like hell am I going to allow myself to start doing that.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Originally posted by 12916studios View Post
                        About $5,000-7,000 in savings, and at least one roommate to split the cost of an apartment with. (The latter of those to I already have several options for.) Preferable would be an assistant job lined up beforehand, but with openings popping up literally every day, that might not be 100% necessary. A job waiting for me would be quite nice. As would having a spec sale under my belt to make the transition a tad cushier dollar wise.

Regardless, even if I don't make my intended savings goal, I will be moving out there this September anyway. I've given myself four months out of college to scrounge up the dough. Anything beyond that is delaying, and like hell am I going to allow myself to start doing that.
                        FOXWOODS!!!

Comment

Is this something someone moving to LA should know about?

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
                          FOXWOODS!!!
                          P.S. I can't believe no one got my "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" reference.

Originally posted by ProBono Writer View Post
                          Helsinki is wonderful this time of year. Especially the snow. It affords one solitude even in a city full of people.
                          Looking to take the "Bono" off my screenname.

Comment

Nice post dolphin, now here's a little advice from me. Maybe if you used all that talent you have and conformed just a wee bit, you'd be a little better off.

Sometimes standing in line and giving a salute gets you noticed even more. That's just a matter of opinion though.

Maybe it's better to keep being who you are and success will be that much sweeter. Who knows? I'm in the camp that everyday you wake up and you're still breathing oxygen, it's a good day.
                            "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."
                            AYN RAND

Comment

Your camp is camp awesome and it's tucked in the forest of Awesomer!

To get to your camp, I had to catch a bus in Awesometown and cross a bridge over river Quai--Sorry, that's an awesome over an awesome awesome!

Comment

Honestly Belac, I do work on conforming. More than you think. But I started off very "anti" so it's a long road for me, filled with incorrect sluglines.

Comment

Working...
                                X