Clear All

Re: ScriptShadow selling posters for scripts

I'm waiting for the magic beans.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
      I'm waiting for the magic beans.
      Can I have some, too?

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

Originally posted by spacefarer View Post
        Can I have some, too?
        Jeff takes 40% off the top... including but not restricted to any future golden coins, golden eggs or harps (magical or standard) that may result from the use of said magic beans.

Comment

I read Line of Sight without cover art, and I didn't miss a thing. It's a great script. I'm pretty certain that Scott didn't add the art himself, that it was a gimmick. Producers and reps try a lot of gimmicks to get attention to script they want to sell, and I'm sure they always have good reasons, but in the end if your script is no good it's not going to matter whether you have cover art, or whether your script has a curse word in the title, or whether your mom knows Rudin.

Don't pay someone to design cover art. It won't help you. Just put all your time and energy into writing a great script.

As Jeff just implied, there are no magic beans.
          Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Emily, I think the last thing new writers need is you telling them that magic beans aren't real.

Comment

Fava beans, anyone? They go well with brains.
              http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

I keep thinking, this ScriptShadow thing is soon going to burn itself out, given the sheer (and continuing) audacity of the money grab, then I have an experience like this morning (on zoetrope) where an amateur has gotten connections (to Brooklyn Weaver -- look up HIS CV) thanks to an "impressive" ranking on SS Amateur Friday, and I try to wise the guy up about taking what he's been given and distancing himself from Seveer Nosrac....

But when it's crunch time, and someone asks the newfound genius how to get on "Carson's newsletter," the guy says, "PM me."

Maybe it's a generational thing, and I've finally gotten too old to be hip to the latest bullshit. Maybe there's some sort of contrapuntal counterintuitive backwardass career strategy going on, where at the end of the day everyone who's been through the ScriptShadow shytte bath is going to pop out smelling like a very well-fertilized rose. I don't know.

Or maybe people are just getting so well-versed in doublethink that not only two plus two equals seven, but getting ripped off equals getting promoted. That also wouldn't surprise me.

Comment

Over on Triggerstreet, you're encouraged to upload an image to go along with the script. Certainly there, a strong image helps garner interest and set the tone for the script.

Comment

Over at Amazon Studios likewise, hence the horror to my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Otto Schrenck View Post
                      Or maybe people are just getting so well-versed in doublethink that not only two plus two equals seven, but getting ripped off equals getting promoted.
                      I'm assuming you're talking about last Friday's "Rose in the Darkness", which garnered an 'impressive' rating from Carson?

If so, I know Scriptshadow gets a lot of flak round these here parts, but that's him at his best: discovering a talented young writer and helping him or her move their career forward... at no cost to the writer as far as I know.

I've sworn off critiquing the pro scripts, but still strongly support the Amateur Fridays (just been a little busy last few weeks).

Of course, all the money grabbing is a turn off, and the occasional success like Friday just enables that sadly, but I think Carson deserves credit on this particular occasion... even if he was just fast forwarding the inevitable for a talented writer.

Comment

I was referring more to the reaction of the "talented writer" in question: which was not to begin to consider distancing himself from the moving money maw of Seveer Nosrac, but to recommend the Script Shadow newsletter to another script hopeful further down the cash-disgorging food chain....

My problem with ScriptShadow is entirely with its treatment of amateurs, as "an amateur" (one who has made less than $5000) myself.

I couldn't care less about the pros. If they can't look out for themselves, then what does being a pro mean.

It's the schlubs forking over their thousand dollars for possible promotion on Amateur Friday, not to mention (big name drop) referral to BROOKLYN WEAVER (look up the dude's CV, for chrissakes). And if one of the amateurs occasionally gets airborne -- what about the strangled hundreds who don't?

Comment

This might finally be the thing that takes you from unrepped to easy street!

Comment

Originally posted by Max Otto Schrenck View Post
                            I was referring more to the reaction of the "talented writer" in question: which was not to begin to consider distancing himself from the moving money maw of Seveer Nosrac, but to recommend the Script Shadow newsletter to another script hopeful further down the cash-disgorging food chain...
                            Well, in his defense - and I haven't seen the thread you're referring to - I'm not surprised he isn't distancing himself from the guy that just did him a solid. I'd be recommending Scriptshadow to people as well if he'd done the right thing and given me an 'impressive' :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Derek Haas View Post
                              This might finally be the thing that takes you from unrepped to easy street!
                              BETTER ME THAN YOUS
                              (as I stomp on the grasping paws of a multitude of unfed, unwashed, unlettered, unfettered script hounds)

Comment

Originally posted by karlosd View Post
                                Well, in his defense - and I haven't seen the thread you're referring to - I'm not surprised he isn't distancing himself from the guy that just did him a solid. I'd be recommending Scriptshadow to people as well if he'd done the right thing and given me an 'impressive' :-)
                                I deleted my posts on zoetrope (as far as the ScriptShadow/Brooklyn Weaver threads went), because it did seem like I was raining on someone's parade -- which is why I've stayed away when Ken Glover, Nathan Zoebl (sp?) and others have pitched ScriptShadows in various forums.

It's a tough question. What would I do in those circumstances? By taking advantage of a well-earned break, are you collaborating with the enemy? And who decides who or what the enemy is, to begin with?

Increasingly Reeves seems to be making exactly the kind of progress that LEVENGER, for example, in an earlier post, denied that he was capable of making: that of being "taken seriously" by at least one major "industry person."

You can look at it as either the final decay of an art form/business that had long ago seen its better days, or as a fresh new way to break through the collapsing movie-insiders' battlements that, having once kept quality out, now can't keep anything out. But, horribly, ScriptShadow indeed seems "relevant."

Comment

Working...
                                X