Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Project Greenlight Season 4

I was under the impression that Mann had a first draft of a feature length version already done a year earlier.

But still, major rewrite in three days?

Comment

Yeah, the very least it was a major rewrite in 3 days, followed by another rewrite in one day (since they spent one day just getting talking through feedback).

Comment

How did everyone feel about Effie Brown's behavior this episode?

Between her assuming her start date would be pushed back (NEVER plan for a delay, especially when working in television), not being clear about non-starters like using film stock (because she's seemingly obsessed with everyone thinking she's this great angel filled with love in her heart - classic LA business practice, there), and claiming she "made" 17 films (which is nothing, particularly given that she seems to see "made" as being synonymous with "involved in"), she struck me as just as much of a rookie as Jason.

I am a critic first and a writer second.

I have a background in development and currently provide low-cost coverage.

More info here: www.FourStarNotes.com

Comment

In my opinion Effie came across a little better in Ep2 than in Ep1.

In regards to shooting on film though, Jason should should drop that battle. The money he saves shooting digitally can go towards making the rest of the movie better. So many directors are shooting digitally now and it offers so much more creative freedom. For me it's a no brainer. The film look can always be achieved in Post, or at the very least, you can get close. I really don't see how shooting on film is going to improve the story telling. It's just pretentious rookie BS.

Comment

How is no one talking about what a sanctimonious, smug, whiny, ungrateful, pretentious, underhanded a-hole the director is?

Hired to direct a film- somehow while staring at his shoes and saying he's only MAAAAAAYBE interested.

Immediately tries to substitute his own different script in.

I don't think the director knows enough to be giving his E.P. so much crap. I don't think he particularly appreciates or respects what a rare chance he's gotten. Even with his GF, he seems detached and unconnected.

Aside from Scott Walker (Rest In a special Hell) I'm not sure I've ever rooted so hard against someone.
            Last edited by Buzz2074; 09-21-2015, 08:05 PM.

Comment

What made me laugh was the body language between the writer and director initially opps I mean

Yet in a short space of time they seemed to reach something of an accord
              I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

I agree that Jason does come across as affected and demanding, but in reality I think he's probably just extremely insecure and without any business sense whatsoever -- like many artists I know. Who knows...he may end up being the next Tim Burton.

Comment

Jason definitely comes across as a potentially difficult, pretentious a**, but the one thing that makes me wonder is that rewrite process has to have been pretty intense and if there were major sparks, I'm sure they would have found a way to get them on camera, so apparently he is capable of working with someone and might not be quite as bad as he appears (the whole my artistic integrity demands film thing aside).

Comment

I like his thoughtfulness to the project, his regard for film and the approach to his career. I admire the people who stick to their guns. Some may find this smug but personally I don't. That said, I was also equally impressed with Pete Jones' good nature and pliability. Enjoying the episodes thus far.

Comment

So basically what you guys are saying, is he's already acting like a Hollywood director?

It really is hilarious how true some of the stuff you hear about Hollywood is.

I was driving a director to a location scout a while ago and we arrived before the producer. Neither myself nor the director had been there before, so we didn't know where exactly the location was. As I went to get out of the car, the director stopped me and told me we were waiting in the car because he didn't want to go traipsing around in the insane heat looking for some place we had no idea how to find. It was 74 degrees according to my car. So I sat in the car with him, calling the producer, the production manager and everyone's number I had to try and figure out where we were supposed to go. We ultimately ended up just waiting until the producer got there and showed us the way. It was about 1,000 feet from where we parked. And there were signs.

As far as the show goes, my only surprise is the length of the episodes. #1 was about 42 minutes and #2 was 35-ish. Feels really short, especially for HBO.

Comment

Originally posted by madworld View Post
                        I like his thoughtfulness to the project, his regard for film and the approach to his career. I admire the people who stick to their guns. Some may find this smug but personally I don't. That said, I was also equally impressed with Pete Jones' good nature and pliability. Enjoying the episodes thus far.
                        You know, I kinda agree with you. The first episode, I wasn't feelin' Jason, but now I am. He has a strong sense of what he wants and what he believes he can deliver.

I love the moment when Effie said, I've done all these movies and I've never heard *that* before. I think he earned some respect from her.

And I just love her, "listen, Love, you're not shooting on film." And, "I come from a place of love in my heart and understanding..." She's an amazing character.

Hundred bucks says he does in fact shoot on film...

I really think they'll let him do it, especially if he wants to create a unique experience that digital can't provide. I can just see Ben stepping in, "Citizen Kane" was shot on film-- never mind that was the only choice. Kinda like saying, the first films didn't have sound, why should we? I love Ben and Matt.

And I love Pete, he's like a great big fluffy Teddy Bear. I loved the look on his face when Jason said he didn't pay attention to the three act structure. And Pete was like, "well... um... ok..." it was priceless-- I was thinking exactly what he was... Dude, structure exists for a reason.

And the way Pete handled it, there's a message there, people. And its name is diplomacy.

Great show so far.
                        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by bill the scholar
                          Hey, guys. For those of you who have seen any of the previous seasons, how would you say this one compares?

Same thing? Really different? More boring?
                          It's shaping up to be as good as season 3, which was by far the most engrossing (and still not on DVD!)
                          @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                            You know, I kinda agree with you. The first episode, I wasn't feelin' Jason, but now I am. He has a strong sense of what he wants and what he believes he can deliver.

I love the moment when Effie said, I've done all these movies and I've never heard *that* before. I think he earned some respect from her.

And I just love her, "listen, Love, you're not shooting on film." And, "I come from a place of love in my heart and understanding..." She's an amazing character.

Hundred bucks says he does in fact shoot on film...

I really think they'll let him do it, especially if he wants to create a unique experience that digital can't provide. I can just see Ben stepping in, "Citizen Kane" was shot on film-- never mind that was the only choice. Kinda like saying, the first films didn't have sound, why should we? I love Ben and Matt.

And I love Pete, he's like a great big fluffy Teddy Bear. I loved the look on his face when Jason said he didn't pay attention to the three act structure. And Pete was like, "well... um... ok..." it was priceless-- I was thinking exactly what he was... Dude, structure exists for a reason.

And the way Pete handled it, there's a message there, people. And its name is diplomacy.

Great show so far.
                            Pete was utter class the way he championed Jason's script.
                            @MacBullitt

Comment

For the love of God, I can't stand Effie.

It's all about image, "equality", diversity, never about film or story. Plus the "I always produced movies that matter" when you produced a silly, hispter t*rd as Dear White people: come On.

Like most of the PG, this movie is gonna go unnoticed, expect for the usually HBO fan/critics, then will fade away.
                              The question is : Do you work in the business?

Comment

Originally posted by nDanger View Post
                                In regards to shooting on film though, Jason should should drop that battle. The money he saves shooting digitally can go towards making the rest of the movie better. So many directors are shooting digitally now and it offers so much more creative freedom. For me it's a no brainer. The film look can always be achieved in Post, or at the very least, you can get close. I really don't see how shooting on film is going to improve the story telling. It's just pretentious rookie BS.
                                Yeah, no. If you ever shot on film, you know the difference.

Some people can't see the difference between film and digital (not even the look, sometimes they can't see the difference in the pace), some people can't see the difference between pokemon and digimon.
                                The question is : Do you work in the business?

Comment

Working...
                                X