X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York Is Better Than LA

LA feels like I'm dying inside, maybe it's NYC diversity

Re: New York Is Better Than LA

The palm trees in Los Angeles are not indigenous to the region, either. See Ben Hecht for inspiration.

How Did Hollywood End Up in... Hollywood?” — article

Thomas Edison Drove the Film Industry to California” — article

Meet Screenwriter Herman Mankiewicz” — article
    Last edited by Clint Hill; 11-18-2019, 07:41 PM.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

I love New York City. Been visiting every year, multiple times per year for decades. no way, LA holds a candle... except for the weather. that's a huge + for LA, if you can breathe.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Why doesn't Apple, Amazon or Netflix just buy up the 4 big NYC film studios?

Kaufman-Astoria, Steiner Studios, Silver Cup Studios, and Broadway Stages

Comment

I might get gangbanged for saying this but LA is mostly a shithole (with a few nice pockets). The city has become unlivable for the average joe with a family. I can see the appeal if you're rich or are becoming rich working there but otherwise it's not worth what it costs. If I was that rich I'd still move somewhere else anyway. Maybe have a dinky condo there on the side for work.

I would love to see NY someday.

Comment

As a native New Yorker who grew up there, but now lives out of state, and who knows the real estate market in NYC pretty well, I can say with confidence that NYC is out of the reach of most save for millionaires.

Back in 2008, my daughter rented a studio apartment in Park Slope, Brooklyn for $1650/month. Now she spends the same for a house in Los Feliz, with off-street parking and yard.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Schuster View Post
              As a native New Yorker who grew up there, but now lives out of state, and who knows the real estate market in NYC pretty well, I can say with confidence that NYC is out of the reach of most save for millionaires.

Back in 2008, my daughter rented a studio apartment in Park Slope, Brooklyn for $1650/month. Now she spends the same for a house in Los Feliz, with off-street parking and yard.
              I get that NY is absurdly expensive, but $1650/month to rent a house in Los Feliz? Hmm. The average house for rent in Lancaster, Rosamond, or even Victorville is around $1800 a month (quite often more). Something's not adding up here. Maybe she's been in that unit for many years.

Comment

It's a back house, so her landlords (the owners) live in the front house. She's been living there for around four years. Rent hasn't changed since she moved there. And though it's a small house, she has a bedroom, living room, kitchen and laundry room. And a driveway for her car.

Comment

Sounds like a cool set up then. Good for her.

I like poking around on the realtor.com app. Having looked at rents in Los Feliz (whether apartment or house), it appears that she got an insanely good deal.

Comment

Strongly disagree. New York is even more crowded than L.A. with more people and less space.

Comment

Native east coaster living in LA here. NYC is fun to visit, but I'd never want to live there. People are crazy. Same is true in LA, of course, but at least here their nuttiness is entertaining. New Yorkers are frightening and aggressive with their insanity.

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
                        Sounds like a cool set up then. Good for her.

I like poking around on the realtor.com app. Having looked at rents in Los Feliz (whether apartment or house), it appears that she got an insanely good deal.
                        That is an *insaaaaaaaaanely* good deal. $1650 p/m is market rate for a 360 sq foot studio in Los Feliz, assuming it comes with parking. A setup like you're describing could easily go for $3000+.

LA real estate has experienced seismic changes in the past decade or so. Whereas in 2008, Los Feliz was indeed half the price of Park Slope, the two neighborhoods are now nearly at parity.

Of course, if you live in Los Feliz, you can easily drive wherever you want, whereas if you live in Park Slope, well... god help you if you find yourself in Manhattan when there's service interruptions on Brooklyn-bound trains.

Like the song says, New York is a helluva town-- but it's no place for humans to live.

Comment

I love LA. Plain and simple. Is it perfect? No. But then neither is New York. I've seen and smelled more than enough in that city. Worse than anything here. (Oh and it's super cold, rainy, and with lots of snow during the winter there; then hot & humid during the summer.)

I've lived in Los Angeles nearly 33 years now. (I grew up back east with all the seasons.) I've seen pretty much ever section of this city and then some. A few spots I shy away from, but there are great places all over. Wonderful neighborhoods, beautiful homes, cool buildings, terrific museums, and every kind of entertainment you can think of that the 2nd largest city in the country can offer. As some like to say, you can surf in the morning and ski in the afternoon or night. Let's see someone do that in NYC. Oh, and it's 20 degrees colder in NYC, as I type all this.

I've been to New York at least four times. On one occasion I lived there for five weeks or so working on a movie. Granted it's not five years but I saw more than enough while out filming for 12 hours a day all over the city. I love NYC. Truly. It has great museums, amazing restaurants, tons of culture & history, Central Park and, of course, Broadway. But I'd never live there all the time. It's not for everyone by any means any more than LA is. And I'm glad for it. To each their own.

Companies are not simply going to "move" to New York just because you would like them to. Everyone is out here relatively speaking. But that said, there are plenty of things shot in New York on various stages there already and generally decisions are made about "where" something is shot based on what makes the most sense budget wise -- and always driving factor. Netflix built huge new offices out here on Sunset since so much of the industry is driven by all the people & talent out here. It makes a big difference to be in the same city, of course, for meetings, etc. Also, the stages out here at Fox, Paramount, Sony, WB and Universal are great. Universal and WB have particularly huge lots along with all kinds of backlot space to offer for filming. And there are plenty of other independent spaces which can be rented to shoot in along with a variety of interesting locations from western towns, to standing sets for offices, courtrooms, restaurants, etc. (A friend recently had his Netflix TV show shot at the Sunset Gower studios.) They and others are smart enough to make the location of filming based on various factors and needs.

As noted above, LA has terrific weather which is why so much is shot out here and is why the studios set up out here in the first place -- that and an escaping Edison. But still this city has so much to offer including more than just a few nice spots. Also, there is amazing diversity to the landscape that is pretty much unparalleled by any place in the world. (And I've shot in quite a few of those locations in the LA area some of which also doubled for NYC.) On a related note, we list 1,600 production companies out here on our main site but only 560 in New York -- about a 1/3 less.

Is LA pricey? Sure it is. But so is San Fran, Chicago, Boston and New York, just to name a few cities that cost. But they are all great cities which offer different lifestyles and work situations. (Though each has much worse weather than here.)

Would I love to visit NYC more than I do? Absolutely! But personally I wouldn't want to live there all the time and try to work in this business. Again, to each their own. But I will stand by and always support LA and all that it offers, particularly in terms of working in the film & TV business.
                          Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 11-21-2019, 05:54 AM. Reason: Grammar, clarification and additional info
                          Will
                          Done Deal Pro
                          www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Fair enough, but also good timing. A bunch of my dad's coworkers (aerospace) bought houses in decent/nice parts of the South Bay in the late 80's for under 200k-easily over a million now. Not a single one of them could afford the same house today. Anyway, has the city gotten better or worse overall in your opinion?

I was born in Oceanside 28 years ago and it's changed a hell of a lot in that time. Oceanside seemed rougher when I was a kid (at least downtown off PCH) but truth be told I'd take that over what it's turned into now. Way more crowded and expensive.

It is what it is though. I did LA for a bit but I'm better off a little bit away. Just wasn't worth the cost. A great job keeps me in CA for now but having a kid changed everything (though I don't regret it). One can write anywhere and make a move if/when it becomes necessary and makes financial sense. If I had the dough I'd still grab a place in Carlsbad instead though, or maybe somewhere near Santa Barbara
                            Last edited by DDoc; 11-19-2019, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
                              Anyway, has the city gotten better or worse overall in your opinion?
                              To be honest and fair, some things are better and some are worst since I first moved out here 33 years ago. Is it more expensive? Yes. Is it more crowded? Without a doubt. Has the homeless problem gotten much worse? Oh, my God, yes. Traffic too in various ways, in spite of the Metro, which isn't and I don't believe ever will have the impact that some believe. (Pollution/smog is better too than back in the late '80s.)

Not to be cute with my answer, but I guess one can always look back and think, those were the days. I don't love certain things that have happened over the years, by any means. They are so overbuilding out here. But I still love it.

Would I live out here if the film & TV went away (for me)? I don't know. Maybe. Very possibly after all this time. I surely wouldn't have ended up out here, though, if it wasn't for film. The city has an amazing amount to offer, which at the end of the day for me, my wife and for many others I know, outweighs the minuses.

I honestly feel it's a very personal choice. I get that. I've seen some come out here and "make it." I've seen some come out here, not make it in the biz and still stay anyway. Then I've seen a few others who came out here, didn't make it and left. I believe the latter made a good move for them, of course. They didn't try to force it anything and made the best life choice for themselves.

Up the road is great. Santa Barbara is terrific and I wish I was there more. I love San Diego too and various spots coming up the coast before LA, for whatever little it is worth.
                              Will
                              Done Deal Pro
                              www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Working...
                              X