Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Girls

White people should be allowed to show the world the way they want to for as long as they want to do it. Who cares if there's diversity on the screen? No one is obliged to show diversity. Who cares if minorities are under-represented? Frankly I'm tired of people who are not getting roles or jobs complaining about race. That the Bachelor or Girls or Friends have 100% white leads shouldn't matter. Only good story telling matters.

Same for writing rooms. Whites make-up 95% of writing staffs. Does that make them racist? No. Minorities should do a better job making opportunities for themselves instead of complaining.

Do you see white people complaining when Tyler Perry makes an all black tv show for TBS? No. Though it helps that whites dominate the 100s of other tv shows on the air as opposed to vice versa, the point is, stop complaining. Be like Tyler Perry: start writing plays and put them on yourself. Build up a massive following over many years. Parlay that following into movie success by finding your own financing. Parlay that track record into getting a tv show. I bet that's what the creator if Girls did.

Let your voice be the magical flute that spreads your vision to masses. And let your voice be color blind. And don't let stats like 95% or 100% be an excuse to find racism because, frankly, it's tiring.

Comment

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
      I'm serious. It's a meaningless phrase and using it is a sign of someone being intellectually lazy. If you want to discuss something, discuss it, but calling other folks' opinions "political correctness" is just a shorthand for disregarding an opinion because you don't like it, without actually engaging in any sort of meaningful debate.
      +1. Does. My. Head. In.
      sigpic

Website
      Tweets
      Book

Comment

This topic has certainly turned into something.

As an African-American background extra who's currently with the casting agency that has worked on "Girls" (sc111, you're the only one here getting a peek at my resume), I'm pretty picky on what gigs I apply for. Some I get, others I don't. I've never played any thugs or criminals, and I have never been approached. There was also a time when I talked to another man, also African-American, when he tried, but couldn’t get a gig on “Gossip Girl”. I have, twice.

I haven’t seen the show, “Girls”, but as a longtime New Yorker, I know that the specific Brooklyn locale where it’s filmed has become predominately white.

Reasons:
        1. Manhattan has become way expensive to live for the art community.
        2. The film and television industry, here and overseas, are filming in the borough.
        3. The quality of life plan initiated by Rudy Giuliani (a scumbag, despite whatever happened during Sept. 11. 2001).

It’s true New York City’s safer, far away from the days when President Ford told us to “drop dead”, but there’s a sense of individualism and ethnic diversity being slowly rubbed out. Look at Times Square, it’s an overgrown mall for ****’s sake! I remember I did a gig for “Unforgettable” last year in Williamsburg. One of the buildings I was walking by looked like it should have been in Los Angeles! One sure thing is that African-Americans, especially those who have money, are leaving here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/22/ny...the-south.html

Will I go? Nah. I like it here. I like being an extra and hopefully break in as a writer (except for “Nurse Jackie”, the staff writers of the shows filmed here are based in Los Angeles). Some African-American people may find me to be a sellout. That’s okay. I’m black, but I’m also my own man first. I’m not really a fan of the “whiteout” (I like gritty New York, especially from the 1970s), but I find it somewhat sad that “my people” want equality, but sometimes sabotage themselves.

Also, BDZ’s right. Write the type of show you want to see. The technology is available to anyone who wants to use them. This isn’t the 1950s (despite some people calling liberals “commies”).
        Last edited by Madbandit; 04-23-2012, 05:40 PM.
        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

I won't be happy until Roscoe Orman walks onto the set and bitch slaps the first guy who whines.

Comment

Originally posted by SI_NYC View Post
            I won't be happy until Roscoe Orman walks onto the set and bitch slaps the first guy who whines.

OH GOD!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-_t84v9axU

I have to see that whole film, BTW.
            "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

who's Willy D's costume designer? that's what i wanna know.

hipster racism -- i think the next script i write some white person is going to call another white person "whitey!" when they say something stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                who's Willy D's costume designer? that's what i wanna know.

hipster racism -- i think the next script i write some white person is going to call another white person "whitey!" when they say something stupid.
                Whoever put together his clothes and came up with the car, had one hell of a bent sense of humor. On your hipster racism idea, if there is more than one you might refer to them as the average white band.

Comment

I have a lot of friends in Brooklyn Heights. They're white. It's a white neighborhood. Sorry.

But thank god this chick put her foot in her mouth so I can openly hate a show called Girls without being called a misogynist.

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
                    But thank god this chick put her foot in her mouth so I can openly hate a show called Girls without being called a misogynist.
                    And yet, I'm not a fan of Modern Family which apparently makes me a homogynist.

Comment

http://www.avclub.com/articles/our-w...time-to,72974/
                      "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

While the debate is an interesting exercise, they probably will just eventually add in some bystanders of color and then skate away from the controversy. IMO what has been missed, is this is supposed to be a comedy and there is so little humor in it that it makes John from Cincinnati look like a laugh fest. Some of the reviews calling the creator of the show the voice of her generation, really maligns them as a group.

Comment

Unfortunately, the infamous tweet has now skewed all discussion of the show itself.

From what I read, the show was super hyped and its creator/lead actress, Lena Dunham, was touted as the "voice of a generation."

In episode one, what viewers watched was a small sub-set of this generation: a rich girl who has been fully supported by her parents for the two years since graduating college. Unfettered by things like paying rent or college loans, the lead has been living in a privileged bubble for two years.

A number of writers and bloggers of Dunham's age commented that the show is not a "voice" for their post-college experience. And a couple of those writers also pointed out the lack of minorities.

Then Arfin shot out her ignorant "Precious" tweet and everyone (including CNN TV news) went, "A-ha! Racist!" Then the conversation rolled in that direction.

What I think has gotten lost in the tweet brouhaha is a conversation about why networks seem to prefer telling the stories of a certain segment of society.
                          Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

I can't help but feel that more than half the people that are pointing fingers at Girls* are the same people that questioned Diablo Cody's success. And that most of them are white, too. There's something with successful young women that doesn't sit well with a lot of people.

*I don't mean people in this forum particularly.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
                              I can't help but feel that more than half the people that are pointing fingers at Girls* are the same people that questioned Diablo Cody's success. And that most of them are white, too. There's something with successful young women that doesn't sit well with a lot of people.

*I don't mean people in this forum particularly.
                              I dig the show, hate Diablo with the passion, and am white....

Comment

Personally, I don't like successful young women unless they're willing to have sex with me.

HH

Comment

Working...
                                X