Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford vs. Ferrari

Just saw it was surprisingly gobsmacked. It's totally formulaic and a bit too heavy on the "rah rah" American cultural supremacy jingoism, which I expected going in, but it delivers a satisfying emotional experience even for a heartless curmudgeon like me.

I predict this is going to do massive box office and be nominated for a lot of trophies. It's going to be a real four quadrant movie that plays well across a variety of markets and demos.

Re: Ford vs. Ferrari

did you find it as good as RUSH?
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I liked it more than Rush, which didn't really wow me. I remember thinking Rush's plot didn't work very well, but I haven't seen it since it came out.

Comment

I thought it was a lot of fun, if maybe a tad longer than it probably needed to be. Broad tone which actually works well for the subject matter. Some of the internecine conflict with the Ford suits felt a little contrived but in service of the great race scenes. A welcome throwback to the big star-driven projects of the 70s and 80s (40 years ago, this would have been the perfect thing for a Redford-Newman pairing).

But what I probably loved the most about FvF was NOTHING looked like it was CGId. I'm sure there was some of it in there (the LeMans crowds were probably digital-ish) but all of the racing felt like it was real cars, filmed with real cameras, on real tracks in the real world. Like zero uncanny valley moments and letting the camera linger on the actors and their faces, acting. Especially Bale up against his race competitors, the looks tell the story as much as following the cars' positions

Comment

Working...
        X