Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 Days at Entebbe

The reviews are very polarizing for this film. It's generally either 1/2 stars or 4.5-5, though more the former than latter.

I noticed that with the low star ratings, ​most revolved around complaints with its politics​, lack of willingness to take a side​, ​comparison to the 1970s "original​s​" which ​were more historically accurate, etc.

The film explored pros and cons of the Israeli and Palestinian side of things, giving the "terrorists" and "victims" a more complex perspective character-wise. Rosamund Pike did a particularly good job. I came into it without any political inclination or expectation and thought it was overall well-written and done craft-wise. So I was surprised to see the film received so poorly. But I suspect the hot-topic issue makes it inevitable that the audience's political stance would factor in heavily.

Curious to know what other people's reactions to it were?
    Last edited by nguyensquared; 03-25-2018, 07:38 AM.

Re: 7 Days at Entebbe

Originally posted by nguyensquared View Post
    The film explored pros and cons of the Israeli and Palestinian side of things, giving the "terrorists" and "victims" a more complex perspective character-wise. [...] So I was surprised to see the film received so poorly.
    1. People are inevitably tribal. This prompts them to take sides with their own. Right or wrong (and really, who's to judge if that's right or wrong?), that's human nature. It is what it is.

2. Further to #1, I don't know how many accredited film reviewers currently active in the English-language media are of Palestinian descent. I don't think that there are a great many. Ergo, the asymmetric critical reaction to the film was rather predictable.

Regardless, the controversy intrigues me. I think I'll take the time to see this film. Thank you for the tip.

Comment

Working...
    X