Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ScriptBlaster

The deals under the Canadian Guild and the purchase price for a feature is about exactly what they've already paid us in options.
    I assume they didn't negotiate for renewal fees to be applicable against the purchase price (although, if the option agreement is in the WGC's jurisdiction only the first 18 month's fees can be deducted)? Maybe aliens have taken over the bodies of their business affairs exec(s).

"We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling toward turnaround."
    The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

(or not, in their case, considering they don't even control the rewrites!!)

Comment

It's standard for renewals not to be, obviously something they should have tried to negotiate for! Paying for the rewrite by upping option fees rather than contracting you does seem pretty odd. If a writer conducts the work off US soil (edit: and they're not a member of a WGA-affiliated guild in that territory / I think I have this right), WGA sigs don't have to abide by the MBA. I expect the same applies to WGC sigs and they could have hired you for $5K (kept it on the books), and retained control of the revisions. Weird. Maybe they think the script's worth 400K or something, Boski!!

I hope that if they buy it, that free "rewrite" doesn't count as an official rewrite. According to the WGC minimums a "third draft" is half the price of the second step. Maybe I got that mixed up. Anyhow, WAY GO.

Jeff, people have differing opinions on these script query services, I think I promised Boski some time ago never to revisit the subject, save to say that imho the last thing you want to be "blasting" is a high concept. But good luck with it.

Comment

I had a huge "equery" lists (that had names to go with all the addys for personalised queries). It went down with an old hard drive, but I PM'ed this list to a bunch of people when DD was over on the old EZ board...

It will be out of date now but may still be of use. If anyone has a copy still could you possibly PM it back to me / Jeff ? Any regulars are welcome to it if it's still knocking around. I no longer have any mass email lists on file, otherwise I would send one over.

A lot of addys were from Producers 411 which was THE BEST directory with LOADS of personal email addresses for legit prodcos/producers.... but I don't think Variety publish it anymore

Comment

Well, i got a lot of information and sounds like it is worth doing. If anybody wants to fill me in on any other services that will be helpful in getting into the door of hollywood it be more than helpful. Thank you all.

Comment

I used scriptblaster and their query editing service back in November. I wasn't really happy with the logline they wrote, so I ended up using my own. Regarding the mass query, I received one request to read my script, but that one request led to an option. So can I say I would recommend...that's a tough one. Yeah, it worked. I just finished another script, and I'm not going to use the service again.

I think I just realized, in my opinion, that most companies probably consider these query services spam and hit the delete button. This time around, I'm doing these things the old fashioned way and sending out some queries myself.

Hope this info helps.

Tiki Jim

Tiki Room 32 Productions

Comment

Hey,

Yeah, I'm just going to send them out by mail. I've had more luck doing that than the emails. Plus I've created exclusive artwork/music for my scripts, so it looks more like a real package than just a query letter. I can't really send all that stuff out via email.

Good luck, and let us all know if you have any luck!

Tiki Jim

Tiki Room 32 Productions

Comment

I did script express at So you wanna sell a script a few weeks back. I sent out a query that has gotten very good response by snail mail, so I figured I'd give it a try e-mailing. Out of the 3000 so claimed sent out e-mails, I got 24 responses and 3 script requests. Not a very high percentage. Would I recommend the service? No, simply because it's a less than 1% response. There is also no way to find out if the e-mails were actually sent to the people they claim to send it to.

Comment

I used scriptblaster last spring to help market a fantasy script. I only received 2 requests, but one of those led to representation, which later went to hell. It's a long story...the agent was based out of Florida not Los Angeles. Marketing a fantasy script with a mass e-query service is also not a good idea.

After a couple of months marketing my latest comedy script on my own with little success I decided to break down and use the service again. This is the first day the query went out and I've received 3 requests to read so far. And 2 of those are with a reputable producer and a prodco. The way I look it is that you have to do what you need to make things happen for yourself and this is just 1 more avenue.

Comment

I've used the service before and got a number of reads.

The problem is most of the reads you are going to get will be from people who like you are struggling to make it in the industry.

Will I use them again for my next script? Yes.

Because you just don't know where your script will end up. Someone may pass it onto someone else and you may just get lucky...and we all know luck counts in this industry.

What's an extra few $$$ when you have spent countless hours of your life writing the project.
                      I wanna tell you about the time I almost died....

Comment

Yeah I agree. I was pretty unhappy with the results. Some of the producers that requested the script, were so far down in the food chain, I didn't even bother sending them the script.

Yeah, but I think what you need to remember is that EVERYONE in this business started somewhere. They didn't all just wake up and were big time producers. They were small fries at some point and worked their way up, so you can't always just dismiss people because their name isn't Steven Spielberg or Jerry Bruckheimer or their company isn't Imagine Films. Maybe they DO have connections, maybe your script will be a big hit or very well respected and the one that makes them a big producer. If you sit around waiting to only work with the established producers, you may be sitting around until your old and grey. In the end I guess all we can do is trust our own instincts, but try to be open to give people a chance. Check them out anywhere and everywhere you can to get information on them. You always have the right too to just ask them questions, hopefully they won't be offended....they're new just like you, so you have the right to know what they've done....especially if no credits show up for them anywhere.
                        "The two hardest words to write are FADE IN. The two most gratifying are FADE OUT."

Comment

Working...
                        X