This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ScriptShadow

If you're not allowing comments on the internet then put your "cast" on a public access channel without a call-in line. Otherwise it illustrates a misunderstanding of the medium.
    "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

Originally posted by stvnlra View Post
      Aspiring to be a producer while also running a site that criticizes other filmmakers' projects is Carson's biggest problem. You can't disparage works in progress & expect others to be OK with that.

He'll probably stop reviewing pro scripts & stick with the amateurs. That's the direction this seems to be going.
      Speaking of Script Shadows, this is third strike you're out for me.

First strike was Carson/Eads linking to professional scripts often in production without permission.

Second strike was him jacking up coverage fees without separating the scripts he covered from those he promoted/"reviewed" on his site -- such as "Amateur Friday". (Even questionable promoters like Gordy Hoffman goes as far as this -- removing stuff he covers from what wins at the BlueCat contest).

Third strike is being an ostensible critic and producer both at one go.

I've dropped contacts for being far less ethically conflicted than this, but simply for showing a similar level of ego promotion (anybody remember Julie Grey?).

Look at it this way. A year or two down the road, and this guy is either going to be sitting like a pig in shytte, king of his own model of promo/production (and setting a new ethical low bar for Hollywood in the future). Or he's going to scrounging off what remains of his website, after letting hyper ambition eat it completely away.

Either way, do you as a writer want to have anything to do with that?

Comment

I try and be respectful but I've just seen his review trashing Looper. What the **** does this guy even like?

Comment

I'm wondering -- what is it about the film industry that enables SS to not only exist but seemingly thrive. I find it curious and at times mind boggling. There seems to be consensus that his actions are unethical yet some people in the industry are still passing him sold scripts (which gives him credibility with newbie writers). Some people in the industry are still opening his emails and reading the scripts he recommends, some buying the scripts he recommends (which, again, gives him credibility with newbie writers). Is there a flaw in the way the industry does business which enables SS to have influence? This is a sincere question.
          Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by sc111 View Post
            I'm wondering -- what is it about the film industry that enables SS to not only exist but seemingly thrive. I find it curious and at times mind boggling. There seems to be consensus that his actions are unethical yet some people in the industry are still passing him sold scripts (which gives him credibility with newbie writers). Some people in the industry are still opening his emails and reading the scripts he recommends, some buying the scripts he recommends (which, again, gives him credibility with newbie writers). Is there a flaw in the way the industry does business which enables SS to have influence? This is a sincere question.
            I think he drastically overestimates his own influence and if people are only hearing his side of things, they're getting a vastly skewed perception of his stature. While it is true that he has had *some* success getting scripts recognized (THE DISCIPLE PROGRAM) and with people sending him stuff, he also takes credit for things that have nothing to do with him. Just because he reads and reviews a script on his site and that same script is optioned or sells or gets the writer repped at a later date does not automatically mean that Carson was responsible for that success.

And yet I know from personal experience that he has taken credit for a writer's success in exactly that way on more than one occasion, when the reality is that he had nothing to do with the business deal. Where the people who found the script didn't even have a relationship with Carson, much less get the script from him.

Comment

Being one of Carson's "disciples" is quickly becoming a stigma.

Comment

The verbal sparring match on Twitter may have done it. I can't imagine anyone wanting to work with someone who's willing to call a hugely successful film "Screenwriter Suicide."

And in public. Directly at the writer/director. Who fvcking everyone wants to work with now.

How fvcking stupid can you be? I truly want to see where he hits bottom.

Comment

I've been giving him the benefit of the doubt for a while, but this is the second time in a short time that he's accused a successful, talented writer of "lazy writing" on his blog. I think he started with the best of intentions, but I also think he forgot why he started all this. I'm not sure what was the exact moment that he crossed the line, but it's been crossed.
                  Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

My 2 cents on ScriptShadow:

It DOES mean something, unfortunately. People read it. Writers, execs agents. It means as much as tracking boards i.e. a lot to some people, absolutely nothing to others.

Would I like my spec to be reviewed on the site? I wouldn't. I would be very upset. Because Reeve's would represent a dude I have never met, taking my work, carving it up for a hungry mob of amateurs, and pretending he's some sort of Lancaster Dodd-type "I can help you. We can all make it together" guru.
                    of course the flip side would be a positive review, which I would immediately be relieved by. but then my feelings would revert back to the above sentiments.

Buzz is a big deal. Good buzz, bad buzz. People are SO conditioned by other opinions in H'wood. Selling a script is only the first step. Making the movie is the bigger step. So the idea that Reeves is critiquing works that are well on their way to the big screen is BS. In most cases, his website is the first thing that pops up when you google a lot of these unmade films. And if the review is bad, it can seriously affect people's judgment. That's just a fact of life.

I simply do not buy the innocent "I'm doing it to help people" crap. I have told Reeves this before. I think he's a phony. I don't like the smiley faces. The pathological positivity peppered with surprisingly scathing, bitter remarks. I don't like his taste. I don't like his name. I don't like his cowardice.

I don't like Carson Reeves.

Comment

Originally posted by TravisPickle View Post

I don't like Carson Reeves.

You mean Christopher Eads, right? I often get confused by his transparency.
                      http://twitter.com/JohnSwetnam

Comment

Originally posted by TravisPickle View Post
                        I think he's a phony.
                        Whenever I hear/read that word I can't help but think of this:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL3tlVDcg1I

Comment

What Carson Eads fails to acknowledge on his website is that he's reviewing blueprints for movies, not the movies themselves.

He doesn't place any credence in the collaborative effort a film inevitably ends up being, the ad libs, the evolutionary process of a story that occurs during the actually shoot.

Not everything that works on paper works onscreen. That's why a lot of his script picks seem like such a let down when turned into a movie. "Source Code" was a , mediocre and emotionally vacant script that he touted as the next "Die Hard".

It's fair to review the final product, which is the movie itself. That's what blueprints are made for, so that others can bring that initial vision to fruition. The movie is the end game, a script is only the endgame of the screenwriter.

Badmouthing a project in its blueprint phase is unfair, especially when it's not even the final draft. Carson doesn't seem to realize the clout his website carries other than the rise of his income and script rates.

Projects, especially specs are hard enough to get off the ground without someone chiming in about lack of GSU in the second draft, after a writer has written eight subsequent ones. That's like being judged by dates on your prom night performance.

Carson's a bright guy, but he has the sensibilities of a 14 year old. Anyone who touts "Back to the Future" as a great movie has a lot of Marty McFly in their psyche. It's a good film, but great? Like to hear him discuss "Rashoman", or "Remains of the Day" or "Y Tu Mama Tambien", but he'd simply say they're not in his wheelhouse, and his wheel house is synonymous with Hollywood's wheelhouse.

Unless he decides Looper is a failure as a film. Then he changes the rules.

It's fun to watch his travel up the river to megalomania, I will say that. And not only because he banned my favorite participant on his site.

Comment

He definitely meant well at the beginning but the crux of his issue is that he feels that he deserves to make money on the backs of the aspiring screenwriter class that he used to be part of. He constantly takes unethical shortcuts and think he is being innovative wher he is actually being predatory. First it was illegally sharing scripts and taking in ad money. Now it's that AND gouging newbies for notes. On the horizon is his plan to create a do-nothing production company where no one gets paid but him. It all boils down to the same thing: He thinks screenwriting owes him a living and he's going to take it however he can.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Unidos View Post
                              He definitely meant well at the beginning but the crux of his issue is that he feels that he deserves to make money on the backs of the aspiring screenwriter class that he used to be part of. He constantly takes unethical shortcuts and think he is being innovative wher he is actually being predatory. First it was illegally sharing scripts and taking in ad money. Now it's that AND gouging newbies for notes. On the horizon is his plan to create a do-nothing production company where no one gets paid but him. It all boils down to the same thing: He thinks screenwriting owes him a living and he's going to take it however he can.
                              He reminds me a bit of William Hurt in "Broadcast News". All except the last line.

AARON

What do you think the Devil is going
                              to look like if he's around? Nobody
                              is going to be taken in if he has a
                              long, red, pointy tail. No. I'm
                              semi-serious here. He will look
                              attractive and he will be nice and
                              helpful and he will get a job where
                              he influences a great God-fearing
                              nation and he will never do an evil
                              thing...he will just bit by little bit
                              lower standards where they are important.
                              Just coax along flash over substance...
                              Just a tiny bit. And he will talk about
                              all of us really being salesmen.
                              (seeing he's not
                              reaching her)
                              And he'll get all the great women.

That's Carson/Chris. He says a lot of intelligent things but there's an agenda behind his wisdom which isn't that admirable.

Comment

For the record it was the finished product of the film he was reviewing, not the script. But he still criticized the script. That he hasn't seen. I swear I legitimately hate this guy for being so stupid.

Also he trashed Rian Johnson saying it was career suicide (critically acclaimed, top of the box office) AFTER he bragged how he emailed a script to Johnson for him to direct.

Johnson's tweet in response "Sorry you didn't like it Carson. (And sorry I never got back to you about that script you wanted me to read)" Johnson is the one that apologizes?! Burn Scriptshadow.

Comment

Working...
                                X