No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our view of a field mouse

An opening image -

"A MOUSE. It starts scampering, passes a chef's knife and a sharpening steel..."

Based on those words, what's our POV of the mouse?

I ask because, right after that, as the mouse keeps scampering it passes more things - important reveals - and to make those reveals work I think the camera should be down on the surface the mouse scampers across, and should track the mouse. (While we see the mouse, we hear indistinct sounds of 2 people arguing.)

The goal, visually: At first, we have no idea where the mouse is. When we see the steel and knife, we figure he's in a kitchen. Etc. (The mouse is on a stainless steel table in a restaurant kitchen; whatever is the b.g. is indistinct.)

What's a clear and concise way to say the camera is down at mouse-eye level?
    Last edited by Manchester; 04-25-2015, 04:56 PM.

Re: our view of a field mouse

maybe focus attention more around how tiny feet move quickly and nails click across the stainless steel countertop. Hurdles the chef's knife/or scurries beneath it -- you could look a ratatouille for inspiration. Or just come out and say it: we push along, eye level with a mouse as it...

good luck with it

Comment

Do a wide shot where we see the mouse scampering on the counter and then do a mini-slug.

MOUSES POV

Comment

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
        An opening image -

"A MOUSE. It starts scampering, passes a chef's knife and a sharpening steel..."

I ask because, right after that, as the mouse keeps scampering it passes more things - important reveals - and to make those reveals work I think the camera should be down on the surface the mouse scampers across, and should track the mouse. (While we see the mouse, we hear indistinct sounds of 2 people arguing.)

The goal, visually: At first, we have no idea where the mouse is. When we see the steel and knife, we figure he's in a kitchen. Etc. (The mouse is on a stainless steel table in a restaurant kitchen; whatever is the b.g. is indistinct.)

I think something that reveals the mouse but not where it is, then goes to the mouses pov, then reveals where we are. For example something like:

CLOSE ON A MOUSE

Blah, Blah.

MOUSE'S POV

Blah, Blah

PULL BACK TO REVEAL

INT. KITCHEN- NIGHT

Comment

Re: Our view of a field mouse

Originally posted by Manchester View Post
          An opening image -

Not overthinking it. What you wrote evokes in my mind exactly what you wanted it to, exactly how you wanted. Just keep revealing as you go. No need to "Pull back to reveal," just start describing the bigger scene when you want to show that.

"He scurries past a knife, then a fork, clambers over a wooden spatula, then circles around a sink basin."

Okay, so I'm following pretty close on the mouse, cool.

"He's in a traditional Italian kitchen."

Okay, boom. Now I'm seeing the kitchen from a bigger perspective.

Comment

Thanks, all.

Originally posted by Eric Boellner View Post
            Not overthinking it. What you wrote evokes in my mind exactly what you wanted it to, exactly how you wanted.
            Certainly, that's what I'm hoping. I do prefer that versus calling out a POV. Just, as a writer, I'm not yet at the point of knowing that that's how a script reader will see it.

Comment

Similar scene in "Ratatoullie" but that movie already established the rat as the protagonist.

I might consider:
              A MOUSE - We follow him as he runs right to left. A KNIFE slams down behind him, just missing.

As he continues left, VOICES rise, becoming a heated argument between a couple and fading as our mouse pages by.
              SL35
              Potent dreamer. Newb disclaimer.

Comment

I'm with Eric. As I read it, I imagined it exactly like you described wanting it to look. I think your description is fine. I don't see any reason to change it.

Comment

Working...
                X