Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best World-Bulding Scripts?

Just curious -- which scripts would you say stand out at being especially effective at world-building?

To be clear (in case some may understand the term "world-building" in a different way than I do), I mean: which screenplays that present stories set largely or entirely in worlds other than our own present-day Earth -- be it science-fiction planets, or future Earths, or alternative realities -- depict those unfamiliar environments in the most effective of ways?

Given the current "less is more" mantra of screenwriting, this presumably means scripts that give the reader the most impactful presentations of their worlds with the greatest economy of words: no more than needed, but enough to provide an engaging, perhaps even irresistible impression.

Re: Best World-Bulding Scripts?

Blade Runner, 2001, The Matrix

Comment

I don't know about short dialog but, some of these do a great job at building new/alternate worlds that I've bought into.

(and without mentioning what was mentioned already)

Inception (alternate world)
      Star trek/star wars (Other planet)(Future world) (these do this more visually)
      The jacket (alternate world)
      total recall (Other planet) (alternate world) (Future world)
      Prometheus (Other planet) (Future world)
      vanilla sky (alternate world) (mind f*ck)
      Edge of tomorrow (Future world) (alternate world)
      Minority Report (Future world) (seems that tom cruise goes for these type of flicks)
      butterfly effect (alternate world)
      pan's labyrinth (alternate world)
      Identity (alternate world)
      Looper (Future world) <--awesome flick.
      They live (alternate world)
      Men in black (alternate world) (Might be pushing it)
      28 days later (Future world)

Most alien world films are usually mixed in to future worlds, because you would need the future technology to get to the alien world.
      Last edited by Mpimentel; 09-26-2015, 05:59 PM.
      "We're going to be rich!" - 1/2 hr COMEDY written/directed/edited by me, I also act in it.
      SUBTITLED
      Episode 1 (Beef pills)
      Episode 2 (African commercial)
      Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)

Comment

Killing On Carnival Row
        Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Some great answers here. Thank you. Kudos to Mpimentel for categorizing his answers.

Star trek/star wars (Other planet)(Future world) (these do this more visually)
          See, that's something that gave me pause from the beginning: how to separate how a script does world-building well from a movie that does world-building well. Needless to say, the two aren't always linked.

In world-building, it's tempting to put in so much detail that it may slow down the read. I'm always interested to see how the pros do more of this with less, including presumably building worlds not just via straight description but in other, subtler ways.

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
            Some great answers here. Thank you. Kudos to Mpimentel for categorizing his answers.

See, that's something that gave me pause from the beginning: how to separate how a script does world-building well from a movie that does world-building well. Needless to say, the two aren't always linked.

In world-building, it's tempting to put in so much detail that it may slow down the read. I'm always interested to see how the pros do more of this with less, including presumably building worlds not just via straight description but in other, subtler ways.
            Yeh, and I apologize for that, I automatically went with films that do great at world building not necessarily scripts. I would change that list a bit if it were just scripts.

And I understand the struggle, can you imagine just the opening scene trying to describe a klingon? I could waste a full page on that alone, or, you can leave that up to the director and just describe it as "a creature not of this world, features that resemble more a creature of the sea than a human form" and move on.

It's tough. What is it you are searching for specifically?
            "We're going to be rich!" - 1/2 hr COMEDY written/directed/edited by me, I also act in it.
            SUBTITLED
            Episode 1 (Beef pills)
            Episode 2 (African commercial)
            Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)

Comment

OP et all you should check this out:

https://youtu.be/mA6MQHNM2yE
              Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

• Killing on Carnival Row
                • All You Need is Kill (Edge of Tomorrow)
                • The Matrix
                • Looper

Comment

Working...
                X