X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True Detectives on HBO

Any opinions on it yet?

Re: True Detectives on HBO

Woody and Matt make acting look effortless. I'm intrigued by the characters as much as I am by the gruesome murders. This is where HBO is head and shoulders above other networks. Character is as important as plot. If this was Network TV we would have stock characters and it would seem like the repetitive procedural.

I'll be tuned in every week. I also like the anthology format, which makes it easier for them to get A list actors for each season because they are only committed to 8 episodes.

Comment

Yep. I love watching those guys, loved the characters, the dialog and whole tone. I'll be watching this one for sure.

Comment

It was VERY good. Should be just another one of HBO's big hits. I do have one nitpick though - Woody Harrelson's wig is awful and kind of distracting.

Comment

It looks pretty solid to me, liked the characters and that they got away from making another big city set procedural. This show is like mouthwash for the eyes after watching the whine fest that HBO runs as a lead in.

Comment

the whole serial killer genre has been played out for years but this managed to breathe new life into it for me. McConaughey and Harrelson are spectacular. great stuff.

Comment

Character, character, character.

Look, serial killer stories are a dime a dozen. It's a tough genre for most people to get excited about. That's why execution is so important. How that story is told and the people who live in that world can make it stand above convention. That's how you tell a great story, and that's on full display here.

McConaughey is nothing short of amazing in this. Watch him during that dinner scene: his body language, how he almost never makes eye contact, the nonchalant way he talks about his past. That scene works great on the page, but he takes it to another level.

Also a great example of how much the right setting can add to a story. As trite as this sounds, it really does become another character in the piece.

Looking forward to the rest. My only complaint is that the whole season's not up right now, because I want to binge through it so bad.
              Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Courier12

Comment

McConaughey was amazing. There were times I forgot it was him acting. But other than him, the whole pilot seem just drenched in cliché. I found myself playing with my phone half way through. And if most of the action was happening in 1995, why did it look like the 80s? Is that just a Louisiana thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Spanky View Post
                  It was VERY good. Should be just another one of HBO's big hits. I do have one nitpick though - Woody Harrelson's wig is awful and kind of distracting.
                  I couldn't keep my eyes off of his wig.

The first episode is quite amazing. Woody and Matt are brilliant. Whenever those 2 act in the same movie they just feed off of each others energy and the results are amazing.

Woody is always amazing, will be a top ten actor when he is done, but Matt has definitely shown he can act. Great job all around on this.

Comment

The acting is phenomenal. Matthew McC has really involved into a spectacular actor. Mud, Dallas Buyer's Club, Wolf of Wall Street, True Detectives, and I imagine Interstellar.

However, while I loved the atmosphere and mood, I wasn't sold on the story...at least not yet. I did like the hook they used at the end, with a new killing showing up. I'll definitely keep watching.

Comment

This show is incredible and has me longing for more. It sucks Matt and Woody wouldn't do this show for the long haul. Their chemistry is perfect.

I don't know who the killer is, but I know Woody's devil spawned daughters are the next Hannibal Lector. Did you catch how they had a bunch of Ken dolls set up up to do a gang bang on Barbie? Yikes. Those little girls are creepy. I have a feeling the FBI will be investigating them later in life.

Comment

Originally posted by Deion22 View Post
                        This show is incredible and has me longing for more. It sucks Matt and Woody wouldn't do this show for the long haul. Their chemistry is perfect.

I don't know who the killer is, but I know Woody's devil spawned daughters are the next Hannibal Lector. Did you catch how they had a bunch of Ken dolls set up up to do a gang bang on Barbie? Yikes. Those little girls are creepy. I have a feeling the FBI will be investigating them later in life.
                        It was creepy but are you sure it was a plastic gang bang? I thought it was men finding a nude dead body, what their dad does for a living. I could be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by madworld View Post
                          It was creepy but are you sure it was a plastic gang bang? I thought it was men finding a nude dead body, what their dad does for a living. I could be wrong though.
                          Definitely a plastic gang bang. I'm not sure why he didn't think he should bring it up to his wife though.
                          Love this show. Feels like watching a movie. Only downside is it's going to make it hard to watch all the other shows I've been giving a pass to because I hope they'll 'get better eventually'.
                          @ZOlkewicz - Don't follow me on Twitter.

Comment

it was pretty clear to me they were playing cops & naked homicide victim with the dolls

Comment

The dolls seem to have been a Rorschach.

I like the mini-series/anthology take like AHS. I also like that it will be different actors so you can get A-listers each season. I love how at this point the natural world vs. the unnatural world makes the unknown killer seem as "world ending" as the killer sees him/her self.

The way it has been written, with a lot of monologue, is an actor's wet dream - so there's no surprise that Harrelson and McConaughey are knocking it out of the park. And that is the down side at this moment. They are the story and they are chewing up the scenes and when they're working the case you're on the edge of your seat, but everything else is m'eh. It's going to come down to, "Which one of them did it?"

And my bet is on Woody.

It was his call to waive off the task force. He's the one that avoids the other call girls. And he's the one who's already comfortable with the reasons he's created to cheat on his wife. He set Matt up.
                              "All of us trying to be the camera behind the camera behind the camera. The last story in line. The Truth" Chuck Palahniuk - Haunted

Comment

Working...
                              X