• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: True Detectives on HBO

Marty's down payment paid off.

Comment

This last episode (6) was a bit disappointing in the way the story lost some of its momentum to give us instead answers about the past. There were many good scenes. I especially liked it when Rust got that woman to confess about killing her own child and then told her that she'd have it hard in jail and that she should kill herself if she got the chance. And the scene where Maggie seduced Rust, how it was full of cliches and managed to turn them on their head.

It's too bad Michelle Monaghan doesn't get much to do in the series, because she milks every scene she's in. I'd never noticed she was such a good actress. I hope season 2 will have some strong female characters who aren't just "the wife," "the daughter," "the mistress," "the victim," etc.

The show is designed as an 8 hour movie (even if some of the needs of a series are acknowledged), so I guess episode 6 will work better binge-watching than waiting a week between episodes. In the eight hour movie that's True Detective, there was probably a need for a pause before the final act.

Two more episodes to go. I hope they're great.

Comment

In a way I wished they had flip-flopped episode 5 and 6.

But you're right, Dr. V, maybe it's a brief reprieve before the storm.

Comment

music in True Detective

a couple of cool articles showcasing the music in the series...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...#axzz2uMZpBBzd

http://www.policymic.com/articles/82...ome-soundtrack

Comment

If you look at it as an eight-hour screenplay, episode six would be the traditional 'lowest point' of the story. Their earlier triumph turns out to be a false victory, Marty's wife leaves him, the partnership (apparently) is broken, Rust quits. Everything has turned to crap, just in time for the climax.
            Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Sweeney View Post
              If you look at it as an eight-hour screenplay, episode six would be the traditional 'lowest point' of the story. Their earlier triumph turns out to be a false victory, Marty's wife leaves him, the partnership (apparently) is broken, Rust quits. Everything has turned to crap, just in time for the climax.
              Yeah, true.

Comment

When Rust told that women with munchausen by proxy she should kill herself when had the chance, I almost peed myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Pooh Bear View Post
                  When Rust told that women with munchausen by proxy she should kill herself when had the chance, I almost peed myself.
                  I did.

That interrogation scene was the best scene in the whole episode. I like the episode, but thought the hostility went from 0 to 60 between the two episodes. I mean, it's like there was that initial something that was missing to really set them off like that.

But I still liked it.

Comment

Hmm...last night's ep wasn't nearly on the level of the previous six. I had a fear it would drop down a notch or two once the action moved to the present day. The interrogation scenes from previous episodes were absolutely riveting, but now the show has slipped into more conventional cop show territory. All the great character stuff was missing. Still a good hour of television, but it definitely paled in comparison to the rest of the series.

Comment

• Re: True Detectives on HBO

Originally posted by Pooh Bear View Post
                      After last night's episode, I think I got it figured out and it was all right there in the scene above.

I initially thought this was just a throwaway scene but it's not. I think...

SPOILERS, maybe... highlight to see.

someone else suffers from munchausen by proxy and it's probably maggie. she 'sacrificed' her eldest daughter to the yellow kings (her father and other high powered folks). maggie probably grew up the same way and to honor daddy with her daughter. marty probably doesn't have a clue, based on his adverse reaction to child abuse. They say the biggest sin is when you know and do nothing about it.

Comment

That's an interesting theory. Would be an interesting turn. I'm eager to see how things pan out with the daughter. I just love the show. I'm also eager for it to end so I can quit wasting so much time thinking about it.

Comment

I haven't seen this week's episode yet, but I can't help but fear the end is going to ruin the show for me. I don't know, just a feeling I have. Already from the first few episodes I thought that even if the show was great so far, the end was going to make it or break it.

After I've read Galveston I'm much less confident in Pizzolatto pulling it off. It's not a bad book, but there's very little substance to it, and a very thin story. Nice prose, though.

I hope I'm wrong and I love it.

Comment

I think Galveston and TD are going to be very similar in that the plot itself isn't exactly mind blowing. I loved the characters and relationships built in Galveston. Also, keep in mind it's not like he wrote TD in a vacuum. He had Fukunaga, Michael Sugar, Bard Dorros and other solid story guys shepherding the project. I don't think the ending will blow anyone's mind, but I think it will be satisfying and emotionally impactful.

Comment

Character relationships "built" in Galveston? You see, that's exactly what I missed: since the noir plot was mostly an excuse, I would have liked some more character interaction and depth in the relationships. Characterization wasn't very strong either.

Comment

I was pretty touched by the relationship between Big Country and the girl (been a while since I read it) but I do remember feeling very melancholy at the end and thought he did a good job of imprinting emotion on the page.

Comment

Working...
                                X