No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
    Anyone get into the top 100 of the feature contest?
    I entered a horror. Got the email a few days ago saying I was in contention for the finals and had to fill out the request stating script belonged to me/if it was still available/etc and even though it came with a disclaimer "this doesn't mean you're one of the top 100," I just assumed I'd be in. After all, an earlier draft of the horror had just taken 3rd place in WriteMovies and was also a semifinalist in quite a few other competitions, including Page and Screencraft.

It didn't make the top 100.

Still a bit miffed by it, especially considering LPFC was evaluating the strongest draft I had ever sent. Oh well, at least I have a net to fall back on with the third place finish. The guy over there seems pretty cool and interested in getting my project to some industry folks.
    Good luck to those who did make the Top 100, LPFC is a great contest.
    FADE IN:
    PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
    NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper View Post
      Do you mean Tracking Board Launch Pad?
      I was one of the winners in last year's contest. (Not the grand prize winner).
      If you made the Top 100 this year, good luck!
      Yeah and no I didn't make it. Congrats on last year though. Did it lead to a lot of requests from managers and agents?

Originally posted by Jai Brandon View Post
      I entered a horror. Got the email a few days ago saying I was in contention for the finals and had to fill out the request stating script belonged to me/if it was still available/etc and even though it came with a disclaimer "this doesn't mean you're one of the top 100," I just assumed I'd be in. After all, an earlier draft of the horror had just taken 3rd place in WriteMovies and was also a semifinalist in quite a few other competitions, including Page and Screencraft.

It didn't make the top 100.

Still a bit miffed by it, especially considering LPFC was evaluating the strongest draft I had ever sent. Oh well, at least I have a net to fall back on with the third place finish. The guy over there seems pretty cool and interested in getting my project to some industry folks.
      Good luck to those who did make the Top 100, LPFC is a great contest.
      I didn't get in either but you got closer than I did. I know I made it past the 2nd round or whatever but I didn't get any emails about being in contention for the top 100. Good luck with your script though. I've had some decent placements with my two but it's also been all over the place. Knocked out in the 1st round in more than one case.

Comment

Yeah and no I didn't make it. Congrats on last year though. Did it lead to a lot of requests from managers and agents?
        Nope. The only request I got was from a new manager at my former management firm who requested all the top scripts and never got back to me.... but, keep in mind, this all happened during the early days to the ATA/WGA dispute so bad timing.

The folks at LP, however, bend over backwards to assist their winners, remain in contact, and will submit to targeted companies if you ask them. It's like you become a part of their family and not just another contest winner.

The only other "good guy" second-tier contest, in my experience, is Shore Scripts, who likewise become a friend for life with winners.

My plan is to wait out the ATA/WGA situation and have a bunch of new scripts ready to go.

Comment

Damn. Cool to hear that they help out but that's discouraging. I figured the top scripts got a ton of requests.

Comment

Damn. Cool to hear that they help out but that's discouraging. I figured the top scripts got a ton of requests.
            As per the contest coordinators, they usually do get a ton of requests. And they're very also very active in working to persuade managers and agents to give the top scripts a look. Last year was, according to all concerned, an anomaly. I also made the Top 25 with a pilot and got no reads BUT I know others who did. Especially those with a contemporary sci-fi slant. My pilot was period so that, combined with the ATA/WGA dispute, had me at a disadvantage from the get-go. Just my luck.

Comment

All this talk of money and of unreputable contest runners....

Just enter the BBC Writersroom script submission. It doesn't cost you a penny to enter and it's run by one of the most well-known and longstanding names in broadcasting. There's no monetary prize - it's better than that - it's the chance to become a professional writer with said organisation.

I made the final round a few years back so if I can do it then....
              M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                All this talk of money and of unreputable contest runners....

Just enter the BBC Writersroom script submission.
                From the TERMS AND CONDITIONS: Scripts from overseas – we are looking for writers with whom the BBC can develop a strong working relationship and who have something to say that will appeal to British audiences. You may be a non-British-born writer, but you must be resident in the UK or Republic of Ireland. If you are currently living overseas, only consider submitting your script when you return to the UK or Republic of Ireland.

-- that cuts out like 90 percent of the people on Done Deal.

Comment

Still enter. Interest is interest and whilst some may not be 'qualify' they may still generate heat and word of mouth. If you're truly outstanding, the BBC may create some wiggle room - such as offering a staffing job independent of Writersroom or buying your script to develop internally without you. Most of all, it's a free way to gauge your writing in a competition setting.
                  M.A.G.A.

Comment

Anyone get into the top 100 of the feature contest?
                    I'm happy to share that I made it. I'm glad there's a thread here for the Tracking Board Launch Pad. Over on Reddit there's only one other person I found who also made it, and folks there seem to be mostly quiet about this contest.

Regarding the experience so far, I liked their long congratulatory email. All finalists receive a free yearlong membership to the Tracking Board and you get a chance to send in your bio and upload up to 3 additional samples of your work, and also a chance to update the draft of the finalist script (without paying Coverfly). Yesterday was the deadline to get all that in.
                    Manfred Lopez Grem
                    WGA Writer - Director | Zero Gravity Management

REEL - IMDB

Comment

Nice. Good job man. Do they send your script to reps yet or is that after the contest closes?

Comment

Originally posted by manfredlopez View Post
                        I'm happy to share that I made it. I'm glad there's a thread here for the Tracking Board Launch Pad. Over on Reddit there's only one other person I found who also made it, and folks there seem to be mostly quiet about this contest.

Regarding the experience so far, I liked their long congratulatory email. All finalists receive a free yearlong membership to the Tracking Board and you get a chance to send in your bio and upload up to 3 additional samples of your work, and also a chance to update the draft of the finalist script (without paying Coverfly). Yesterday was the deadline to get all that in.
                        Congratulations!!
                        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper View Post
                          The folks at LP, however, bend over backwards to assist their winners, remain in contact, and will submit to targeted companies if you ask them. It's like you become a part of their family and not just another contest winner.
                          This wasn't my experience when I made top 25 of the Launchpad contest. I never got a single read request, and my project was a commercial one. I queried the script on my own and got a slew of requests afterward, but TB Launchpad did absolutely nothing for me.

Comment

Nice. Good job man. Do they send your script to reps yet or is that after the contest closes?
                            Thanks! Regarding your question, I have a feeling that they start right now. In the long email I got they asked us to limit exposure of our scripts because they will start submitting them around town and they want to keep track of all the reads.
                            Manfred Lopez Grem

REEL - IMDB

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                              Congratulations!!
                              Thanks! By the way, I recently read one of your screenplays and really liked it. Very well done.
                              Manfred Lopez Grem

REEL - IMDB

Comment

I was Top 50 in the LP a couple years back. I didn't get anything much out of that but I do appreciate the way it's run and entered this year, but did not make the cut. As with most any contest unless you win or place very high you will not be swarmed by attention. I don't think TrackingB has been worth a squat for a long time and would not recommend entering given the price and lack of any recent success stories.

Comment

Working...
                                X