No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Scott M. Leddy - Empirical Management

Originally posted by MargoChanning View Post
    What are you talking about? The dude exists. To my everlasting regret, I was once repped by him. Never met him in person, but spoke to him via the phone and numerous emails back and forth.

If you take the time to Google him, you'll see that Scott Michael Leddy was once an editorial sports intern. Also, he told me his brother is director Bruce Leddy.
    He could exist, but you never met him. And that address is a limo service. And he has no online presence beyond a barebones LinkedIn profile.

I'm not saying I'm right. Maybe he does exist. But you could've been talking to ANYONE on the phone.

I'm still really doubtful it's an actual person.

Comment

I have a vague memory of Scott Leddy as a guy who "managed" some below-the-line talent and was trying to branch out into lit management.

The bottom line is that there's a 0% chance he could do anything to further your career as a screenwriter, so there is no reason to associate with him professionally.

Comment

He exists. I was also once repped by him. And yes, Bruce Leddy (a director on Cougartown) is his brother.

Scott's main focus is to produce and doesn't seem to be interested in actually repping his clients - I don't think he even has any more writer clients.

After he disappeared on me in early 2012, I moved on and am much better for it.

Don't waste your time.
        If it weren't for people like me, people like you would have nothing to talk about.

Comment

Originally posted by Tazak View Post
          He exists. I was also once repped by him. And yes, Bruce Leddy (a director on Cougartown) is his brother.

Scott's main focus is to produce and doesn't seem to be interested in actually repping his clients - I don't think he even has any more writer clients.

After he disappeared on me in early 2012, I moved on and am much better for it.

Don't waste your time.

What he said. With "disappeared" being the operative word.

Comment

That may be the case. But what's mysterious to me in that case is why is ONE regular poster such a big advocate for him? People are STILL sending me PMs to ask me about Leddy, who is apparently being pushed hardcore by ONE person.

Everyone else only has **** sandwich stories to tell about Leddy.

Tazak, did you meet Leddy or just talk to him on the phone? Have any proof that he's Bruce Leddy's brother?

Comment

He's the Keyser Soze of the management world.

Comment

He asked to see my script more than a week ago. This was before I read this thread.

I sent it off. Haven't heard a word since. I doubt I'll fish for anymore contact from him.
                "...it is the thousandth forgetting of a dream dreamt a thousand times and forgotten a thousand times."
                --Franz Kafka "Investigations Of A Dog"

Comment

If he doesn't answer, consider yourself lucky.
                  http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
                    If he doesn't answer, consider yourself lucky.

LOL!

Hell, yeah.

Comment

Hey all. I've lurked on this forum for a couple of years, but this is my first actual post. I'm only posting now because I feel like I might be able to end a little bit of the mystery around Scott. I'm sure if he reads this he'll recognize me, but that's alright, I'm not really here to talk trash about anyone so much as give one person's honest reflections and debunk a little of the conspiracy theories that are rife here.

I was repped by Scott for...almost a year? During this time, I met with him many times, got to know him pretty well, met his brother, even went to a few pool parties at his house.

I'll start by saying he's not a terrible guy, or at least wasn't to me. He liked my writing when I queried him, seemed personable, attentive, and quick to respond with decent notes. We wrote a spec together after I met him, and he got me a meeting with a head of development at a big studio. Those were all good signs to me, and I thought I was on the fast track toward being a working writer. Unfortunately that wasn't the case. There were always small red flags from the beginning--he told me himself that he doesn't have an office, and I'm sure that "address," mentioned here is a post office box or some such equivalent.

Whenever we "went out," with the first spec I wrote with him, ultimately he only landed that one meeting for me. While that meeting went well, it essentially led to an "offer" from the development executive there to begin writing a script FOR FREE that he would then press internally for development. My sense is that this exec, who was also very young, brash, and a character in his own right, knew exactly how limited Scott's position was as a "manager," and mine as his client, and decided to see what he could get out of it without sacrificing anything. I can't blame him. If he could get something for his company for free, why pay money for it? And he knew he could get it for free.

Anyway, being new to the industry, not wanting to **** up what I thought might be my first "big chance," and reliant on Scott's advice, I ultimately--and reluctantly--went along with this plan. That's the beginning of when things went downhill. I should note here though that ultimately it was my dumb mistake to decide to do this, and no one else's.

After I wrote this spec for the studio executive, we had a few more meetings, notes, and revisions, but ultimately nothing come of it. I was frustrated at what I felt was wasted time and effort, but still willing to give Scott another opportunity to land me more meetings, and told him so, bluntly but professionally, in an e-mail one weekend. I said that I either wanted to start taking more meetings with the material I had written for him, and if the material wasn't good enough, I wanted to start getting more "no thanks, not for us," e-mails from execs and agents. This was the first time that I began experiencing that sudden lack of contact several of you mention--he didn't return my e-mail, answer several text messages, or return phone calls for several days. Eventually I left him a voicemail saying I was going my own way, and finally he got back to me--through text messages, I think it was. He managed some lame excuse, and offered to meet with me once more to try and smooth things over. I indulged him and went, but it was just more of the same. He ultimately offered nothing in reply to my main concern--he wasn't getting me meetings, and I needed more from him. I left him and haven't really talked to him since.

So now, as far as my general opinions about Scott and who he is? Well...he's young, ambitious, intelligent, a little bit of a bro, and a big talker. My impression is that he would have done more for me if he could have, but that in the end, he couldn't. He doesn't have the experience, connections, and to a certain extent knowledge of how to get things done for his clients, of whom I met a few. For a while, his enthusiasm and prompt attention can compensate for that. Once you start to actually expect anything though, the game is up. Additionally, he pressed me to write more "commercial" scripts--I gravitate toward smaller stories about the dramas between people, not high-concepts, explosions, or big budgets. For a while I did this, and it was a lesson I learned the hard way--write what you're supposed to write, and nothing else. You'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration along the way.

As proof of this last point, I submitted three scripts to the Black List within the past year...the one I used to query Scott with, which I would call my first real, complete script, got a 6. One I recently finished since parting ways with him, very much in the same vein, but not what someone like Scott may have called marketable, got a 9. The first spec I wrote with Scott, which got me that studio meeting? 4. I know some of you are probably a little iffy about the Black List evaluators, but my experience in the Nicholl Fellowship bore that same wisdom out this year.

Speaking of, anyone know a good manager who might be receptive to a high-scoring Black List evaluation? I haven't bothered looking for anyone since, as my experience with him left me a little jaded. Now I think I stand on firm footing when I go out looking.

Comment

Well said there, Majahi. Thanks for the share. That probably about sums it up.
                        "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
                        - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

And....he's BAACKKK!!

Leddy just hit SpecScout with a script called....THE SHITTIEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD.
                          http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

And....he's BAACKKK!!

Leddy just hit SpecScout with a script called....THE SHITTIEST PEOPLE IN THE WORLD.
                            Is it a Biopic?

Comment

And....he's BAACKKK!!

It's available to read on Scriptshadow right now.
                              "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
                              - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Screw him.

Comment

Working...
                                X