X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So, I saw Source Code tonight...

Originally posted by kirkbyoung View Post
    highlight below, hidden due to spoilers:

I never read the script, but I interpreted the ending as all being a part of the last alternate universe - they kept telling him he could change things within the 8 minutes but it wouldn't change what had actually happened in the prime universe.

So when he sent that text, I saw it going to Goodwin within that alternate universe - where she's going in to work for the morning, unaware that had
    the bomb gone off she would have been executing the first mission of the Source Code project - he sent a message saying "hey, just fyi, this whole source code project thing you guys are waiting to use? you're not going to use it this morning because the bomber got caught - but he only got caught because you used it in another universe. also, it's more powerful than you realize, because holy crap, I'm changing things and creating alternate universes that keep going past the 8 minute mark, and this is one of those universes." So she sees it, her mind is boggled with implication.

But that was just my interpretation, a few of my friends viewed it the same way you did.

And interpreting the ending as I did, I found it incredibly unsettling. The guy lives on in an alternate universe - but as someone else? Not only is that a bit creepy, but he now has to figure out the guy's house, relationships with family, job, financial situation, etc. He's having fun at the bean with the love of his life (having known her for 64 minutes, but really only like 32 if we estimate that half of what she says in each 8 minute segment is repeated from other run-throughs) but once they walk away from that it's going to get WTF real fast for him.

I saw it in the exact same way. Really enjoyed the film. Anybody know what was up with the mirror bean and "Do you believe in fate?"?
    Looking to take the "Bono" off my screenname.

Comment

Originally posted by ProBono Writer View Post
      I saw it in the exact same way. Really enjoyed the film. Anybody know what was up with the mirror bean and "Do you believe in fate?"?
      SPOILERS

I think it was a visual motif throughout the film? When Colter transitions from the real world to the source code, he flashes of images distorted through the mirror bean.

I haven't read the script, but as far as the film goes, some of the choices really diminished the stakes. Which really hurts in a thriller like this.

-I thought Goodwin and Ruttledge were too honest with him. Thought it might have been more interesting if they were a little more misleading with their information. For example, maybe they're not completely up front about the way the source code works. (That could have led to an ending that's not a total cheat)

-did anyone catch the newscast when the bomber is caught? They state that he started posted anti-govt messages on his web site six months prior to the bombing. Lolz. Eh, why bother checking the internet when you can use a multi-billion dollar experimental project to track down the terrorist?

-didn't like the fact that Colter was a barely-alive torso vegetable. Wouldn't the end of act II decision be so much heavier if he had the option to return to the real world just fine?

-I couldn't help thinking "none of this matters" throughout the entire film, until that horrible cheat ending came out of nowhere.
      Ever thus to deadbeats.

Comment

@snwrist: You're right. I forgot about the Cowboy love story. He was better in that for sure. I love the Jake G picks a wide range of roles, fun stuff, comedies, little indies, big sci-fi pics, love stories. Unlike, say...Leo DiCaprio, who ONLY plays verrrrry seeeeerious roles.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaHans View Post
          Unlike, say...Leo DiCaprio, who ONLY plays verrrrry seeeeerious roles.
          Most of which require the same exact acting. Catch Me If You Can was great and refreshing, but ever since then, he's been playing the same two notes in every single movie he's been in.

Comment

Transcript: Duncan Jones Webchat -

http://www.empireonline.com/intervie...w.asp?IID=1242

Comment

Right Bio!? CATCH ME IF YOU CAN is his best movie, I've been saying it for years. And it's all because he smiles, has some fun, he's a charismatic dude. Bummer he never lets that side out on screen anymore. He's got the dough, now take some risks! I like James Franco better than Leo these days.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaHans View Post
                Right Bio!? CATCH ME IF YOU CAN is his best movie, I've been saying it for years. And it's all because he smiles, has some fun, he's a charismatic dude. Bummer he never lets that side out on screen anymore.
                True. Titanic didn't bother me, either, because his character actually had some points where he was having fun and enjoying himself instead of playing Mr. Feel Sorry For Me 100% of the time.

Leo's best performance, however, is unquestionably in What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

Comment

No way man...he goes full reta...you know, you've seen TROPIC THUNDER.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

I remember this got mentioned once by Christopher Mcquarrie (Usual Suspects) at the Valkyrie CSM Podcast. Though he doesn't necessarily say that DiCaprio's a serious douche, he is said to adhere a specific 'list' of high-profile director's he'll only, exclusively, work with.

So he won't be moving into comedy-territory anytime soon unless Ridley Scott decides to do another 'Good Year.'

(btw, after he pulled out McQuarrie's Booth project was pretty much DOA.)

Comment

I enjoyed the script and find myself kind of on equal footing with the movie. Liked parts of both. Each different and each excellent in it's own way. Makes me wish I read the script after.

Go See It.... Support The Spec

EDITED: Long post on Ticking Clock criticism removed after thinking better of it.
                      Last edited by Harbinger; 04-14-2011, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Just saw it...

Jake Gylenhaal saved no one since he created a universe where Chicago got nuked. In fact in that universe Chicago got nuked before they had time to evacuate anyone like in the original universe he came from so he actually destroyed more lives than he saved!

Also poor Shawn Fentress in that last universe. One minute he's just sitting there next to this cute girl that likes him then BAM! he's Jake Gylenhaal for the rest of his life. Gylenhaal stole his body and his girl!

What a dick.

Comment

Originally posted by Archduke View Post
                          Jake Gylenhaal saved no one since he created a universe where Chicago got nuked. In fact in that universe Chicago got nuked before they had time to evacuate anyone like in the original universe he came from so he actually destroyed more lives than he saved!
                          ???

Not sure why you think that Chicago "got nuked" in the last world. He caught the guy and called the cops, preventing both the train attack and the dirty bomb attack that was going to happen later.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKeenGuy View Post
                            ???

Not sure why you think that Chicago "got nuked" in the last world. He caught the guy and called the cops, preventing both the train attack and the dirty bomb attack that was going to happen later.
                            I'm talking about the world where you saw Chicago get nuked. The one where he and the chick both got shot. He saved Chicago in the first world and the last world but in the process he created a world where chicago got nuked. Also he created worlds where Shawn didn't die on the train so unless there was another compatible person on the train those worlds presumable also got nuked.

Comment

Originally posted by Archduke View Post
                              I'm talking about the world where you saw Chicago get nuked. The one where he and the chick both got shot. He saved Chicago in the first world and the last world but in the process he created a world where chicago got nuked. Also he created worlds where Shawn didn't die on the train so unless there was another compatible person on the train those worlds presumable also got nuked.
                              "create" is a very strong word. thats where you're losing me.

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
                                "create" is a very strong word. thats where you're losing me.
                                They even explicitly said it at the end didn't they? In Jake Gylenhaal said it in his text something like, "if you're getting this message than the source code works beyond what you imagined it creates parallel dimensions yadda yadda." Either that or it just gave you acess to other dimensions, but either way everytime he loaded up a source code he went into a different dimension and some of those dimensions his actions resulted in Chicago getting nuked.

Comment

Working...
                                X