Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Note To Gucci: Mazin's Point On "Summing Up Your Characters"

figment, you're entitled to your opinion. Gucci said it was a good thread. A good conversation. His opinion on this matter is the only one I care about.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeNYC View Post
      figment, you're entitled to your opinion. Gucci said it was a good thread. A good conversation. His opinion on this matter is the only one I care about.
      Now I'm offended!

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
        So if you want feedback post the pages in the right forum
        The point was for me to post my work publicly for me to be humiliated like I supposedly caused Gucci to be.

Comment

Now I'm offended!
          Oops, sorry. That did come off wrong.

Comment

Thank you for the tutorial, but after being a member for over a decade, I believe I know how the SCRIPT PAGES FORUM works.

I asked permission, because the SCREENWRITING FORUM is not for posting screenplay pages.

figment's point was for me to post my pages publicly, and then be all humiliated as I get pummeled with criticism.

I'm not a newbie. I can handle criticism, if it's not personal, finalact4.
            Umm, it's not that complicated, Joe, you post your pages in the script pages forum with a link from this thread inviting people to check out your pages.

You do not need permission to post them here, post them in the proper place. They shouldn't be posted here. I don't see the problem.

Figment did not imply any such thing.

No one said you're a newbie. No one said you can't handle criticism. And no one said anything about humiliating you. The only call was to use your own writing pages as an example of what you believe is solid writing.

It seems that you infer a lot of subtext in what people express in the written word-- I'm speaking from my personal experience here, as I've had to reassert my meaning when you've misunderstood my intentions. I'd ask you to at least consider that your assumptions may not always be correct, and that many of us offer comments sincerely.

And the way you don't make it personal, is that you talk about the pages and the script alone, without using the word "you" in your comments.
            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Re: humiliation -- I honestly don't think that, Joe. I think the idea was let's discuss a current DD work instead of quoting some Emmy award winning Pro who isn't active on this forum and using Gucci's pages that already sold. Not a bad idea. Don't post them. It's up to you.

I don't think anywhere is out to get anyone on here. I think we all just want to help each other and our anxieties about writing just come flowing out instead.

Gucci is fine of course, but others may have been off putted if you choose their work.

Comment

Oops, sorry. That did come off wrong.
                I was 100% joking! Come on kids, keep up. It's okay Joe. I only care about Gucci too. Opps, sorry everyone. I care about you too...

The only thing that offends me on here are my own terrible posts.

Comment

If that's true, then you should have sent him a private message and not place it on the forum for all to see.

BTW, that sounds pretty arrogant. I mean, to post something for all to see but only care what that one person says.
                  "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                    Umm, it's not that complicated, Joe, you post your pages in the script pages forum with a link from this thread inviting people to check out your pages.
                    Umm, finalact4, you do understand that the SCRIPT PAGES forum is private where members would have to sign in.

figment's point was to posts my pages publicly where members don't have to sign in and where GUESTS could see the pages the same way... wait come to think of it... I didn't even post any of Gucci's pages, or his character introductions.

I just discussed his style of TELLING and what Mazin said about summing up characters, which is no secret since it's stickied in the Frequently Asked Questions forum, in order to point out that TELLING is not bad craft to a writer entering the thread.

Is this criminal? According to figment it was.

Excuse me, if I wasn't aware of Gucci's style of TELLING with his character introductions was TOP SECRET.

Comment

BTW, that sounds pretty arrogant. I mean, to post something for all to see but only care what that one person says.
                      Oh man, you do exhaust me.

Comment

I think the idea was let's discuss a current DD work instead of quoting some Emmy award winning Pro who isn't active on this forum and using Gucci's pages that already sold.
                        I didn't use Gucci's pages.

Mazin is no longer active here, but his post on "Summing Up Your Characters" lives on being highlighted front and center in the Done Deal Forums board, which new writers are viewing.

Comment

Umm, finalact4, you do understand that the SCRIPT PAGES forum is private where members would have to sign in.

figment's point was to posts my pages publicly where members don't have to sign in and where GUESTS could see the pages the same way... wait come to think of it... I didn't even post any of Gucci's pages, or his character introductions.

I just discussed his style of TELLING and what Mazin said about summing up characters, which is no secret since it's stickied in the Frequently Asked Questions forum, it in order to point out that TELLING is not bad craft to writer entering the thread.

Is this criminal? According to figment it was.

Excuse me, if I wasn't aware of Gucci's style of TELLING with his character introductions was TOP SECRET.
                          umm, yeah, I do. How is that a problem? You want the whole world to comment? Or the regulars?

Was it criminal? No, but it was unprofessional, because you made it personal. All your comments are pointed at the writer and not the pages. Not the craft. And, yeah, I have a problem with that. If you want to use Mazin's words point it to your pages and do not select a writer on this board that never even asked you to evaluate his pages in that manner on a PUBLIC forum.

You were wrong, Joe. At one point he even said he didn't understand why he was being singled out.

I think Gucci's an exceptional writer and a lot of us on the board are learning a lot from his style and experience.

None of the pages Mazin referred to were even close to the caliber of Carnivore. We're talking eons apart.

And none of it matters, because he sold it, which is more than you can say, and more than I can say.

Comment

No, but it was unprofessional, because you made it personal. All your comments are pointed at the writer and not the pages.
                            Not the craft. ... If you want to use Mazin's words point it to your pages and do not select a writer on this board that never even asked you to evaluate his pages in that manner on a PUBLIC forum.

You were wrong, Joe. At one point he even said he didn't understand why he was being singled out.

None of the pages Mazin referred to were even close to the caliber of Carnivore. We're talking eons apart.
                            Again, I didn't point out Gucci's pages. I didn't make it personal with Gucci. Discussing the style of TELLING, was not personal. It was discussing craft.

And we are not "talking eons apart." Mazin said it clearly he knows professional writers do it, but he still insists that the up and coming non-pros not to do it because he considers it "not good craft."

If Gucci takes offense to me highlighting his style of TELLING with his character introductions as a way to lead into this discussion, then I'll be happy to apologize publicly to him.

Comment

'Kay. I'm out.

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                                First off: Lemme say that I give you guys full permission to dig into my pages in any way you'd like, positive or negative. That's the reason I posted them, in hopes that they could help in some way (help other writers know better what they LOVE or HATE).
                                Gucci posted this because at the top of my original post I asked that members not discuss his pages publicly without his permission.

Comment

Working...
                                X