No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Primer

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
    The production values were very impressive, considering the budget.

But apart from that...what else is there? It's just an unusually realistic look at a mundane film convention - time travel. It doesn't present us with anything we haven't seen before. It just presents it in a different way, and after the novelty of that wears off (happened around the 30 minute mark for me), it doesn't offer much else that isn't extra-curricular.
    I'm convinced you missed the entire point of the film. The time travel bit, while, cool, is hardly important. What is is the fact that we are watching the slow dissolution of a friendship brought about by this invention.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Vote... which is more boring: PRIMER or Bio?

Comment

Originally posted by 12916studios View Post
        I'm convinced you missed the entire point of the film. The time travel bit, while, cool, is hardly important. What is is the fact that we are watching the slow dissolution of a friendship brought about by this invention.
        Again, nothing that hasn't been done before, or done better. There are countless more interesting examples of friendships collapsing.

Comment

This reminds me of SIGNS. Everyone thinks it's about an alien invasion and completely miss the real story of a man overcoming loss and re-uniting his family.

Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
            Definitely me.

Comment

Originally posted by Telly View Post
              This reminds me of SIGNS. Everyone thinks it's about an alien invasion and completely miss the real story of a man overcoming loss and re-uniting his family.
              The family aspect of Signs is the only reason why I like that movie. The alien part was pretty lame, but the flashbacks with the father and his wife were heart-wrenching.

Ain't nothing like that in Primer.

Comment

The characters and their relationship in Primer are so distant and forgettable, that it doesn't really work as a character study, IMHO. The time-travel aspect is the most interesting thing about the film, and it's also what the fans of the film seem to mostly care about.

Comment

Must... not... go... on.... another......... SIGNS... rant...

Comment

Biohazard is the Armond White of Done Deal. There, I said it.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Biohazard is the Armond White of Done Deal. There, I said it.
                      Is that someone very smart?

Comment

Armond White loathes Pixar.

Biohazard is more in the tradition of Pauline Kael, where everything sucks save a few unimpeachable masterpieces. Armond White's approach is just to go off his meds, write a review that reverses whatever RottenTomatoes' fresh meter has decided, and then replace every word in that review with an alternate from the thesaurus.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
                          Armond White loathes Pixar.

Biohazard is more in the tradition of Pauline Kael, where everything sucks save a few unimpeachable masterpieces. Armond White's approach is just to go off his meds, write a review that reverses whatever RottenTomatoes' fresh meter has decided, and then replace every word in that review with an alternate from the thesaurus.
                          Anyone who hates Pixar is either a liar or insane.

For my tastes, read my sig.

Comment

The guy is so out of touch it's ridiculous

Pixar has now made three movies explicitly about toys, yet the best movie depiction of how toys express human experience remains Whit Stillman's 1990 Metropolitan. As class-conscious Tom Townsend (Edward Clements) tries fitting in with East Side debutantes, he discovers his toy cowboy pistol in his estranged father's trash. Without specifying the model, Stillman evokes past childhood, lost innocence and Townsend's longing for even imagined potency. But Toy Story 3 is so besotted with brand names and product-placement that it stops being about the innocent pleasures of imagination-the usefulness of toys-and strictly celebrates consumerism.

I feel like a 6-year-old having to report how in Toy Story 3 two dolls-Sheriff Woody (Tom Hanks) and Buzz Lightyear (Tim Allen)-try to save a toy box of childhood playthings from either disuse or imprisonment as donations to a daycare center because their human owner, 17-year-old Andy, packs them up as he heads off to college. The toys wage battle with the daycare center's cynical veteran cast-offs: Hamm the Piggy Bank pig, Lotsa Hugs and Big Baby. But none of these digital-cartoon characters reflect human experience; it's essentially a bored game that only the brainwashed will buy into. Besides, Transformers 2 already explored the same plot to greater thrill and opulence.

While Toy Story 3's various hazards and cliffhangers evidence more creativity than typical Pixar product (an inferno scene was promising, Lotsa Hugs' cannily evokes mundane insensitivity), I admit to simply not digging the toys-come-to-life fantasy (I don't babysit children, so I don't have to) nor their inevitable repetition of narrative formula: the gang of animated, talking objects journey from one place to another and back-again and again. It recalls how Tim Burton's atrocious Alice in Wonderland repeated narrative stasis without exercising the famous line: "It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.- Burton's omission of that legendary, therapeutic slogan parallels how Toy Story 3 suckers fans to think they can accept this drivel without paying for it politically, aesthetically or spiritually.

Look at the Barbie and Ken sequence where the sexually dubious male doll struts a chick-flick fashion show. Since it serves the same time-keeping purpose as a chick-flick digression, it's not satirical. We're meant to enjoy our susceptibility, not question it, as in Joe Dante's more challenging Small Soldiers. Have shill-critics forgotten that movie? Do they mistake Toy Story 3's opening day for 4th of July patriotism?

When Toy Story 3 emulates the suspense of prison break and horror films, it becomes fitfully amusing (more than can be said for Wall-E or Up) but this humor depends on the recognition of worn-out toys which is no different from those lousy Shrek gags. Only Big Baby, with one Keane eye and one lazy eye, and Mr. Potato Head's deconstruction into Dali's slip-sliding "Persistence of Memory- are worthy of mature delectation. But these references don't meaningfully expand even when the story gets weepy. The Toy Story franchise isn't for children and adults, it's for non-thinking children and adults. When a movie is this formulaic, it's no longer a toy because it does all the work for you. It's a sap's story.

Comment

That is precisely why I don't listen to film critics. Hardly any of them know jack about film.

Comment

Primer

Originally posted by ihavebiglips View Post
                                How many times can we vote on this, and can we go back and change our vote?
                                JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Working...
                                X