X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nicholl 2020

Nicholl 2020 is opened for entries.

https://www.oscars.org/nicholl/about

-- Early deadline: March 6 ($48 entry fee)
    -- Regular deadline: April 9 ($63 entry fee)
    -- Late deadline: May 1 ($88 entry fee).

* there is an additional 40 dollar fee (per entry) if you want comments.

Good luck, people.
    Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 10-06-2020, 04:40 PM.

Re: Nicholl 2020

Thanks for the heads up. I entered. Good luck to everyone.
    Manfred Lopez Grem
    WGA Writer - Director | Zero Gravity Management

REEL - IMDB

Comment

I didn't enter anything last year.

I'm going hard at it this year. Writing two new features and re-submitting one old one that got top 10% one year and top 15% another year. I've had four different scripts get top 10-15%, but I've never made the top 5% with anything and hopefully I can finally clear that hurdle.

Comment

I entered last week. Good luck to all.
        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Hauling ass on my script that's been in writing-and-rewriting for over two years now. I should *just* be able to make the final deadline.

Curious if less people will be submitting this year due to the current global pandemic? Thoughts about this?

I wouldn't mind less competition.

This is my first time entering a contest.

Comment

Probably a lot less people will be entering, unless the major competitions delay their deadline a month or so to account for the time most writers loss due to dealing with the pandemic, like shopping or worrying about their day jobs and mortgages. Or maybe they just get a bunch of rushed half ass scripts because people have less time to prepare this go around.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
              Probably a lot less people will be entering, unless the major competitions delay their deadline a month or so to account for the time most writers loss due to dealing with the pandemic, like shopping or worrying about their day jobs and mortgages. Or maybe they just get a bunch of rushed half ass scripts because people have less time to prepare this go around.

The Big Break Screenwriting Contest at Final Draft still has their early deadline price at this point. https://www.finaldraft.com/big-break...iting-contest/

I think if you have a script already done and polished (like yours truly) and you're not financially hurting, there's no excuse to not enter a contest. Sure, there are definitely important things to worry about (I DEFINITELY have bills), but If you have a good voice, put it out there.
              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
                The Big Break Screenwriting Contest at Final Draft still has their early deadline price at this point. https://www.finaldraft.com/big-break...iting-contest/

I think if you have a script already done and polished (like yours truly) and you're not financially hurting, there's no excuse to not enter a contest. Sure, there are definitely important things to worry about (I DEFINITELY have bills), but If you have a good voice, put it out there.
                To date this year, I’ve entered six screenplay competitions. One of them was free to submit a feature screenplay or TV one-hour or half-hour script. The only one I haven’t (yet) entered is Nicholl, and I’m working on a proper submission for it. At $88, the late entry fee might convince me it is the deterrent it appears to be when the time comes to pull the trigger. That’s a lot of groceries!
                Last edited by Clint Hill; 04-06-2020, 06:46 PM.
                “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post

I'll have it ready on time, and the pandemic hasn't set me back too badly. The Nicholl final deadline price is pretty steep, but I wanted to enter last year, and my script wasn't ready.

After two years of working myself to the bone, my act 1 and 2 are now respectably solid and act 3 has the skeleton to finish. It'll be ready by the deadline.

I don't think I'll win, may not even make it to the quarterfinal round. But it's definitely worth trying once for the hell of it.

Going to enter Sundance as well.

I'm not sure if I'll enter anything else. I asked on this board before for other recommendations but couldn't find anything definitive besides the two mentioned. Austin I guess was the third? No consensus from anyone about any of the others.

I don't wanna drain money in 10-20 competitions that won't do much. I'd rather put it towards trying to get my thing produced.

Comment

Originally posted by Merrick View Post
                    I'll have it ready on time, and the pandemic hasn't set me back too badly. The Nicholl final deadline price is pretty steep, but I wanted to enter last year, and my script wasn't ready.

After two years of working myself to the bone, my act 1 and 2 are now respectably solid and act 3 has the skeleton to finish. It'll be ready by the deadline.

I don't think I'll win, may not even make it to the quarterfinal round. But it's definitely worth trying once for the hell of it.

Going to enter Sundance as well.

I'm not sure if I'll enter anything else. I asked on this board before for other recommendations but couldn't find anything definitive besides the two mentioned. Austin I guess was the third? No consensus from anyone about any of the others.

I don't wanna drain money in 10-20 competitions that won't do much. I'd rather put it towards trying to get my thing produced.

I have twice won Script Pipeline. Those guys/gals are great. They helped me get a manager and I know the same can be said of several others who were finalists that year. So one vote for that one.

I heard it about it because that's where Jake Wagner found Tripper Clancy.

Comment

I had hoped to enter the top contests of the spring and summer, such as, Nicholl, Page and Austin, but because of the dire situation here in New York City my focus has been on other matters, so these contests must wait until the 2021 contest season.

I hope things improve by the time the fall and winter contests arrive where I would then enter my script.

Comment

Maybe if they extended the deadline to accommodate this situation, more people will enter.

Comment

You mean Nicholl? They've never been in it for the money, like 90% of contests. They and their reading crew are probably a bit happy that they'll only get 6000, whatever number, compared to the 7500 submissions they normally do.

Me? My miserable Blackface dollar up here is down to 69 cents on the USD, so it's just too expensive to "contest" this year.

But as I say, for those many other contests that are just out to raise funds, while hoping to come across that once-in-a-lifetime special script (that maybe they themselves will want to rep or produce), they're in squirm mode, what with the expensive USD and reduced submissions. They may have to cut the pay (which is already miserable) to their readers, like those BlckLst readers on LinkedIn with profiles boasting of their reading 3-5 scripts per day, so you know that's not going to help us get fairer reads.

Actually, I forgot: I'm off all contests now anyway, and am happy to save my money, as a result of this post last year:

Reader also submitted in the contest

The average contest on your cereal boxes stipulates in no uncertain terms that "company employees etc. are not eligible to enter the contest", but I don't know if screenplay contests do the same...

Comment

Originally posted by Merrick View Post

Curious if less people will be submitting this year due to the current global pandemic? Thoughts about this?
                            I just squeezed into the Nicholl "regular deadline" with a new script today. I'm bleary-eyed and uncertain about it because I had no time to let it sit, but I didn't want to pay more money for the next deadline. My script number is 3924. Not sure if that's more scripts or less than it would usually be for this last day of the regular deadline?

Comment

Thanks for the information all. It sounds like this year may have less of a turnout than last but still not small. Perhaps the 6000 guess is nearly right.

I'm looking at PAGE as recommended above and Austin. Both have deadlines soon approaching as well.

Are they worth entering in late deadlines?

I don't know how close I'll be to fully ready for PAGE (April 20). I think by May 1st, I can comfortably call this ready to submit, so it should be ready for Nicholl, Sundance, Austin.

Thoughts? Any other critical submissions around this time?

Comment

Working...
                              X