Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling!

My new film, working title, Repatriate, began shooting, in Brooklyn, NY, earlier this month. The cast includes Jeremy Davidson, John Glover, Mykelti Williamson, Mark Margolis and a host of younger, unknown talent.

Repatriate is my fourth film. I live in Toronto. I don’t have an agent. I've been hired now 6 times, by different producers, to write various kinds of films, not all of which, I personally enjoy. As a professional - if that doesn’t incur the wrath of the resident twits, I mean, wits - I take pride in all of my work, knowing that nothing I have ever written has lost people money.

I have enjoyed reading this page as my career has been evolving and I am eager to share what I've learned with those who may find it interesting. What I don’t need is idiots telling me how they're going to ruin me. (This happens anytime I post - I am pestered by the same people.) Please, moderator, keep the loud mouths from spoiling what might otherwise be a fruitful thread.

My intent is to share experience, not argue with random angry cranks.

Repatriate was a write for hire, meaning the producer (with money behind him) came to me with a story and he and I wrote it together. It was a new experience for me, and judging by the early potential of the film, one that may lead to others.

This is the tagline: An American soldier returns to NYC from his tour of Afghanistan to bury his younger brother. Just in the past 6 weeks we've had Oscar nominated talent in and out. It's been a lot of fun.

If anyone is interested, I look forward to relating how these things have come about.

Peace
    Last edited by Dali99; 02-03-2011, 01:40 AM. Reason: Fixed font style

Re: Rolling!

Congrats Dali, keep us posted on the production!

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Congratulations on your fourth film. I would enjoy hearing your story.

Comment

Yes, please keep us posted with your successes and that of the film. I'm keen to hear how you're doing in Canada, your experiences with the good and the bad etc.

Congrats

Comment

Congrat Dali! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

As do I.

Comment

Congratulations on the film.

Since you said working title, I will give voice to the obvious: that Repatriation would be a more cinematic title.

Anyway, congrats. I look forward to seeing it.
              -C

Comment

Congrats, Dali! Would love to hear more.

I'm a John Glover fan. (So nasty in "52 Pickup.")

Comment

Thank you, all. I'm not sure where we'll fall title-wise. I'm partial to The Parthian Shot. The Parthians fought, as archers, on horseback (against the Romans) and were known to turn in their stirrups and fire backwards as they retreated. Might be a bit chunky though, as a title.

As I first wrote in November, this project came together in the small indy fantasy way. A producer I'd worked with called me in the summer of 2009 with an idea and - crucially, some first-in money.

I have a trio of film credits - my first 3 scripts, all made with variable qualities and deficiencies. I have a degree in art history and I've also published quite a bit of journalism, from the banal (Maxim and Cosmo) to the sublime, Esquire, New York Times - this despite literally no journo credits, dating back even to high school. And while I have just sent a book to my agent, I have been a very unsuccessful writer of fiction since I was 28 or 29. I'm now 44.

All that being said, Repatriate was painless to write, and a first, to help realize someone elses idea. It's an odd feeling: you help design the boat; but you don't risk your neck navigating through the 'bergs and the pirates. It can be frustrating - not handling the sails or the tack or any of that stuff, but then, if you think about the nature of professionalism, it feels rewarding. Gun for hire.

After that it was simply waiting for ducks to line up. Of course, it was a tough time to make a movie, 2009. Maybe one of the worst years ever.
                  The project was originally going to be shot in Toronto (a Canadian movie - yeah, I know!) but after months of semi-serious casting sessions (which turned up nada) and various screwed-up Canadian film formula the producers took the project to New York and suddenly, from one cast up and all unknown Canadians - it became what it's become - a really thrilling cast of serious talent.

Still a long way to go (another couple of weeks shooting) but I understand the goal is Cannes. I had a film sell at the market (and went to view it there) but this is (hopefully) going to be entered in the festival proper.

I'm the kind of writer who only wants to write. I've never had a job, as an adult, other than what I could piece together, writing wise. I was very lucky, after a life of writing I was drafted into the film business. When I was younger, I was so oriented around novels, I turned down suggestions I should write for film. What I did do, however, was write. Voluminously.

And that's the key, for me; and what I tell younger writers: I love writing. There is nothing (short of Eva Brown) I would rather do than write. I assume it's the same for many of us. Success or failure is as much luck as anything; preparedness though, that is something you can affect. The more you do it, if you do it earnestly, the better you'll get!

Comment

Cool! Please keep us posted ...
                    sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

Awesome. Big congrats. Can't wait to hear more.
                      Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Comment

I just wanted to add that my co-writer is responsible not only for half the script, but he's directing and producing too. Rob W.; his name is easily sussed, once the Imdb gets sorted etc, but I don't feel comfortable speaking about him on here except to say that we had a perfect sympatico, for writing.

Oh, sure, it's true he got face time with some pretty impressive talent to "talk about the script" but so too is it that I heard they shot till 7 yesterday morning! Direct, who wants to direct!?

Still, I would remiss in taking too much credit. While I may be billed first, it's easily 50-50, which makes it really a great feeling of collective hope.

And also, this is a dark film - my favourite scene a fist fight between... well, I shouldn't say, but suffice I am excited to see how it all reads, plays and all that, while at the same time, personally, I'm not sure I feel like writing stuff... ever again!

Comment

Working...
                        X