No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a hook and do I need one?

Hi ladies and gents.

In the screenwriting books I've read no one has ever mentioned a "hook" but I stumbled onto a few online guides that say that every script needs one.

So I was hoping someone could explain to me what a hook is and if it's necessary.

Thank you

Re: What is a hook and do I need one?

A hook used to catch fish, in screenwriting terms is used to catch a reader's attention (later viewer's attention) as quickly as possible. That's why so many opening scenes to movies are like a tag in a TV show to suck the viewer into the world.

In novels, they tend to want to have a great first sentence to hook the reader in.

Comment

^ so it's just a good opening scene? That's all?

Comment

Doesn't have to be, but can be. It's just like show me the dinosaur in Jurrasic Park in the first few pages or hint at it and then the reader can't wait to read more of the story... or watch more of the film...

It's just a term that means write a story people want to hear more of and make sure people know what that story might be as quickly as possible.

Hint at the larger premise as early as possible. Make us not turn the channel or put down the book.

JAWS -- The hook is a killer shark and in first scene we hint at it's premise when that lady gets taken away by something. We don't even have to show the shark. But if we wait 30 minutes to show a kill then we haven't hooked the reader in.

Comment

Ah I see.

So the hook isn't part of screenplay structure like inciting incident, climax, etc...?

Comment

Not how I see it. It's more into marketing part of the screenplay that the writer should consider always. The audience. Picture 10 scripts are sitting on a pile, how are you going to hook the reader to make sure they read your entire script and don't give up too soon? Which is a real thing that 10 page rule... you got to get it going ASAP.

But you've asked a lot of these specific questions -- on a side note -- this is what new writers do. They focus on terms and I just want to say, don't let this stuff trip you up or stop you from writing. You probably knew how to write a story long before you found any of these terms explaining what you already knew.

Comment

Haha yes I guess it's easy to tell that I'm a new writer.

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement, I appreciate it.

Comment

Well, it looks like this thread is settled, though I sure thought 'hook' was something else...

However, since it is what the experts here have said, why not take in this easy-listening diversion about 'song hooks (openings)' that just showed up on my YouTube recommendation:

Rick Beato's TOP 20 ACOUSTIC GUITAR INTROS OF ALL TIME

Comment

I feel like a lot of what was mentioned here is craft. (i.e don't let them put the script down).

For me the hook is in the pitch. No one reads a script where you pitch it as "It's just good, you'll see that in the first 10 pages." What's gonna make me want to read it in the first place?

Cliche example, but I think it's maybe the easiest to understand: LIAR LIAR. A comedy about "A fast-track lawyer can't lie for 24 hours due to his son's birthday wish after he disappoints his son for the last time." The hook is "Oh sh!t, how's this guy gonna pull this off, he HAS to lie for a living?" We can already imagine all the ways this could go wrong. We'll likely keep reading to learn (and try to guess) how he FIXES this. And it implies growth of character etc.

I don't remember the movie all that well, but I'd bet there was no real "hooky" beat in the first 10 pages that was more hooky than the concept.

So, for me, the HOOK is CONCEPT.

...One guy's opinion.
                  Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

I agree with above too from the GhostXXX! I posted about craft, but hook is often used with high concept or elevator pitch terms and more. That's why all this stuff drives me mad because not everyone means the same thing. That's why I was trying to say it doesn't really matter.

You need it, but you don't need it, and you don't need to even know what it is to do it and if you write a story people like than you got it. I call that the accidental hook. (just kidding)

Whatever works for you. I cherry picked stuff over the years from books etc and found my own way. Do the same everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                      I feel like a lot of what was mentioned here is craft. (i.e don't let them put the script down).

For me the hook is in the pitch. No one reads a script where you pitch it as "It's just good, you'll see that in the first 10 pages." What's gonna make me want to read it in the first place?
                      I agree with this, and what Bono has written. Hook is more a term of art than a hard and fast definition in screenwriting. It can mean different things to different people depending largely on context. Having a great opening scene or sequence that establishes the situation/conflict and the main character is important. Having a concept/premise that makes someone want to read the script or watch the movie after hearing the logline is also important, probably more so.

A concept hook can be a couple different things. It could be an interesting character like superheroes or Fletcher form Liar Liar. It could be a combination of genres like Cowboys and Aliens or a romance played out during a disaster like Titanic. This all reminds me of the Rossio and Elliot column about the second concept on WordPlayer.com.

HTH,
                      Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
                      3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

I agree with the last few posts. I always think of the hook as how the creative exec is going to pitch the script to get their boss to read it. The really quick, five second "you've got to read this script" pitch.

This movie has come up in another thread but I've always thought THE PURGE had one of the greatest concepts I've ever heard -- because it's so easy to understand and instantly visualize a movie. All crime is legal for one night. That's an easy pitch for a junior level exec to make to his boss. "You've got to read this great spec that just came in. It's a home invasion thriller that takes place on the one night a year where all crime is legal." That last part is the hook (or what I've personally always thought of as the hook) -- that special something that makes this script different and exciting.

Comment

Thank you guys, it's been a big help. I appreciate your input.

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post

Cliche example, but I think it's maybe the easiest to understand: LIAR LIAR. A comedy about "A fast-track lawyer can't lie for 24 hours due to his son's birthday wish after he disappoints his son for the last time." The hook is "Oh sh!t, how's this guy gonna pull this off, he HAS to lie for a living?" We can already imagine all the ways this could go wrong. We'll likely keep reading to learn (and try to guess) how he FIXES this. And it implies growth of character etc.

I don't remember the movie all that well, but I'd bet there was no real "hooky" beat in the first 10 pages that was more hooky than the concept.

So, for me, the HOOK is CONCEPT.

...One guy's opinion.
                            totally agree. sometimes a good exercise for writers is forming a 'what if" statement when coming up with a high concept.

what if you brought dinosaurs back to life in a theme park?

what if two lovers met on the doomed Titanic's maiden voyage?

what if an asteroid the size of Texas was on impact trajectory with earth?

what if a nine-year-old became a man?

what if a thirteen-year-old was suddenly 30?

what if a girl switched bodies with her mother?

what if you woke up on a seed ship in the 9th year of a 100 year voyage?

what if you were trapped on a plane with poisonous snakes?

what if your plane crashed with 50 survivors on a deserted island with polar bears? haha
                            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                              totally agree. sometimes a good exercise for writers is forming a 'what if" statement when coming up with a high concept.

what if you brought dinosaurs back to life in a theme park?

what if two lovers met on the doomed Titanic's maiden voyage?

what if an asteroid the size of Texas was on impact trajectory with earth?

what if a nine-year-old became a man?

what if a thirteen-year-old was suddenly 30?

what if a girl switched bodies with her mother?

what if you woke up on a seed ship in the 9th year of a 100 year voyage?

what if you were trapped on a plane with poisonous snakes?

what if your plane crashed with 50 survivors on a deserted island with polar bears? haha
                              Ha I've somehow never thought of doing this as an exercise. Love it.

Comment

Working...
                              X