Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2006, 08:43 PM   #11
Signal30

Default Re: Wolf Creek

No, as far as I recall, that was an option that wasn't really brought to the table.

And thanks, Slappy!

My YouTube channel.
Signal30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:05 PM   #12
nic.h

It was a $1 million budget with about $2 million dollars of favours borrowed on top of it. Rumours are that Greg McLean had a lot of friends defer payment, particularly in post. He'd made some shorts before and was reasonably well known in the local industry, so he was able to call in favours. A LOT of favours.

Estimates I've heard (from people indirectly, or vaguely involved) are that it was closer to a $3million film if everyone had been paid upfront.

Anyway, Rogue is being made for a full budget - he's got real money this time. Not sure it will live up though.
nic.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:55 AM   #13
Laura Reyna

We rented it & i walked out of the room. ZZZZZZZZ...

I thought it was so boring. Very flat, nothing happens for the longest time, minimal character dev. That's just bad writing.

Why would i want to stick around to watch boring char ride thru the outback for 45 min only to be tortured & killed by some inbred psycho?

That's not entertaining to me.

Give me a real story w/ interesting char, & w/ some intelligence behind it.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )
Laura Reyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:07 AM   #14
Signal30

Dismissing the villain as being just some inbred type is selling the piece short...I liked what they did with the character. He came across as just another rough-around-the-edges type you might end up sitting next to in any truck stop in the world, and not even suspect that something like "head on a stick" is percolating just beneath the surface.

That the character had found a way to rationalize it was an interesting tweak that brought Wolf Creek up a couple of notches over most of the other stuff in the genre, what with some unstoppable masked force picking off the teens 'cause they like to do the nasty.

It took the Crocodile Dundee stereotype everyone outside of Australia expects and inverted it, while still maintaining a bit of that weird charm. That attention to character detail is very rarely touched on in these kind of films.

My YouTube channel.
Signal30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:15 PM   #15
Laura Reyna

OK, that guy was kinda interesting & had a couple of funny lines. But...

I still think they could have done way more w/ this. Someone said earlier that it felt like a padded short film, & i agree. There just wasn't enough story there for me.

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )
Laura Reyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 05:06 PM   #16
Cycstorm

You can call it a padded short film, but so many horror films are just that. The only difference with most is that the body count is just higher. In reality there isn't that much more that happens except more people die.
Cycstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:22 PM   #17
Pencey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycstorm View Post
You can call it a padded short film, but so many horror films are just that. The only difference with most is that the body count is just higher. In reality there isn't that much more that happens except more people die.
I just finished watching the end of When A Stranger Calls (2005). That film uses every contrivance in the book to keep the story going--completely insulting the viewer's intelligence as the director does whatever he wants with the story, no matter how illogical it is.

At least Wolf Creek was honest in its scares. I didn't feel like I was being manipulated like I did with the other film and most other horror flicks for that matter.

Pencey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:18 AM   #18
Cycstorm

I said exactly the same thing earlier in the thread, Pency. I liked the film because it didn't pretend like it was something fantastically clever like Saw does, for example.
Cycstorm is offline   Reply With Quote