Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2006, 10:57 PM   #11
Hairy Lime

Default Re: Pan's Labyrinth

Sorry, when Mimic, Blade 2, and Hellboy (as much as I liked it) are among your credits, you risk being labeled a Hollywood hack. I figured him for a guy who cut his teeth on some fine films and then sold out for the big paydays. Apparently he has returned to his roots and gave back his pay and points on Pan to get the budget he wanted. Kudos to him.
Hairy Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 11:04 PM   #12
haunted

Quote:
Sorry, when Mimic, Blade 2, and Hellboy (as much as I liked it) are among your credits, you risk being labeled a Hollywood hack.
...by people who haven't seen any of your other movies.

Although...I still don't understand why you'd label him a hack. You apparently liked one of his movies well enough -- at least a third of his output as far as you knew -- and yet he's a hack?

Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
-- Potter Stewart
haunted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:00 AM   #13
Jakkal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Lime View Post
Sorry, when Mimic, Blade 2, and Hellboy (as much as I liked it) are among your credits, you risk being labeled a Hollywood hack. I figured him for a guy who cut his teeth on some fine films and then sold out for the big paydays. Apparently he has returned to his roots and gave back his pay and points on Pan to get the budget he wanted. Kudos to him.
Pardon the ignorance, but I don't get it. What's so bad about doing hollywood flicks? Does that mean he's not pouring his heart and soul into each and every one of them? I've read in interviews he's a big horror fan so what if he wanted to do a hollywood horror film (Mimic)? I believe he's also into comics and really excited about making Hellboy 2. Why would he be a hack for that if it's his passion?

The label hack, I feel, is applied too arbitrarily nowadays to everyone from those at the top of the foodchain (for example, Akiva Goldsman and, please, no discussions on whether or not he is in fact "at the top of the food chain." He is an A-lister, has an Oscar and just got a big payday, good enough for me) to others not so far up. Everyone seems to be a hack for one reason or another.

What is so wrong if someone does some serious films then decides to have some fun going hollywood? The films Del Toro made aren't terrible movies. Some people in this thread seem to have enjoyed them. Even you liked Hellboy. I enjoyed Blade II. Someone liked Mimic. So why is it so bad to do commercial films to where you're going to be labeled a hack? I personally think it's cool he can relax and do some Hollywood stuff and then do some serious stuff. And what if he just kept doing Hollywood flicks? Would that be so bad if that's what he *wanted*, what he *enjoyed*? Isn't that why we're in the business in the first place, cause it's our passion?

Just my thoughts. Seems everyone on this board considers some established screenwriter a hack because they feel like saying so. If you ask me, I find it pretty ridiculous when an unestablished writer who is still trying to break in claims he or she is better than Akiva Goldsman. If Goldsman read this board, he would probably have a nice chuckle right before going back to polishing his Oscar.

/shrug.

Last edited by Jakkal : 12-06-2006 at 03:13 AM.
Jakkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:52 AM   #14
Signal30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakkal View Post
If Goldsman read this board, he would probably have a nice chuckle right before going back to polishing his Oscar.
Is that a euphemism?

My YouTube channel.
Signal30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:12 AM   #15
Jakkal

By "this board" I mean the specific post of whoever claimed they were better than Goldsman in the other thread, if that's what you're asking. Just pointing at the silliness of an unestablished writer claiming he or she is better than Goldsman with nothing to back it up except a rotten attitude. In my book, if you claim you can do better than someone, you better do it or you end up looking like a fool that's full of hot air. So, like I said, I can just picture Goldsman shrugging right off such a flimsy remark and having a good chuckle over it (hence, the sentence you quoted).
Jakkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:29 AM   #16
Jake Schuster

Maybe, like John Sayles does with his "hack" assignments and rewrite jobs, Del Toro works in Hollywood so he can sustain his other work. Nothing wrong with that.

As the photographer Annie Leibovitz recently said, "I don't have two lives, and the personal pictures and the assignment work are all part of it."
Jake Schuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:05 AM   #17
Hairy Lime

I admitted to being previously wrong about him in my very first post and you numbnuts go on and on about "Hollywood hack"?
Hairy Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:20 AM   #18
ihavebiglips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Lime View Post
I admitted to being previously wrong about him in my very first post and you numbnuts go on and on about "Hollywood hack"?
You can't possibly be surprised.
ihavebiglips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:10 AM   #19
Adam Isaac

Can't wait to see this.

Loved The Devil's Backbone.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:33 AM   #20
haunted

Quote:
Yeah, then you turned around and said he risked being labeled a hack for making Mimic, Blade II, and Hellboy (even though you liked it), and the "why would that make him a hack?" question arose again.

Censorship reflects a society's lack of confidence in itself.
It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime.
-- Potter Stewart
haunted is offline   Reply With Quote