Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
getbusylivin'
User

Default Low Budget Short--Need advice

Hi All. Need some sage advice. I've got someone interested in filming one of my short scripts--a horror short that is generating some good interest right now.

I need help figuring out how to separate the wheat from the chaff. This guy is a young hip hop artist who wants to star in the film and use it as his acting demo. He and his producer make music videos but have never done a film.

My instinct is to wait for someone who wants to take it the festival route (one producer reviewing the script wants to do just that but nothing confirmed).

Or is it better to have a film in your pocket any way you can? Would love to hear some thoughts. Thanks.
getbusylivin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
NikeeGoddess
User

Default Re: Low Budget Short--Need advice

wait?! are you nuts?! lol!

anyway, the process of making music videos isn't much different than making a short. and music videos must be exciting and keep you entertained every second. this is what you need especially for a short. if you can do it for little or no money then go for it. and there's nothing wrong with taking it on the festival circuit when it's completed. everybody has a production under their belt.

then submit it to DC Shorts -- hurry!
NikeeGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
carcar

It's a short! And someone else wants to pay to produce it? Do it, for God's sake. You'll get a credit. Who says you can't festival it anyway?
carcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
christopher jon

Quote:
I need help figuring out how to separate the wheat from the chaff. This guy is a young hip hop artist who wants to star in the film and use it as his acting demo. He and his producer make music videos but have never done a film.

My instinct is to wait for someone who wants to take it the festival route (one producer reviewing the script wants to do just that but nothing confirmed).
This might sound crazy but why not hook both parties up.

It'll be less of a financial risk for both producers or more money for the project and everybody gets what they want.

You want a to make your film

Hip Hop guy gets his acting demo

Producer gets short to take to festivals.

It's really a win-win for everybody involved. It shouldn't be a problem unless egos get involved.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
LMPurves
Regular

It seems like this would be your first script to be produced. If that is the case then you should go for it.

However, just so you are aware, my production company started with music videos before we branched off to film. One of our better known artists wanted a short to star in to promote his acting career and since it was on his dime, I wrote one for him.

The whole project turned into a giant fvcking nightmare! The guy couldn't act his way out of a paper bag and his best friend whom he hired as co-lead was even worse! The project went nowhere. Didn't even get in to festivals.

I learned my lesson and now I refuse projects in which the person paying for it wants to act in it.

Even after what I said above, I would still encourage you to go for it if they have the money. You have nothing to lose and a lot to learn with the experience.

Wanna learn about filmmaking? Ya gotta make a film!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
getbusylivin'
User

Clearly this is my first rodeo! Thanks for all of the advice and the cautionary tale about the actor nightmare. I'll keep talking to the hip hop guy to get more concrete answers. When the time comes, I assume that I'll need to draw up an agreement between us--do templates exist?
Thanks, again.
getbusylivin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
SCanfieldfilms
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbusylivin' View Post
Clearly this is my first rodeo! Thanks for all of the advice and the cautionary tale about the actor nightmare. I'll keep talking to the hip hop guy to get more concrete answers. When the time comes, I assume that I'll need to draw up an agreement between us--do templates exist?
Thanks, again.
Indeed, they do. I know www.independentfilmmakercontracts.com sells them for anywhere from $35-50, but if you know what to look for, and what you're looking to get from the agreement, it's not incredibly difficult. Plenty of examples exist.
SCanfieldfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbusylivin' View Post
When the time comes, I assume that I'll need to draw up an agreement between us--do templates exist?
Yes, they do: http://www.donedealpro.com/members/l...ection _id=13

Get an attorney to help you out, if you can, unless you are not that concerned about the script or what goes on ultimately. If it's for a short film it might not be worth the cost, but you'll need to decide that for yourself, of course.
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
SCanfieldfilms
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
Yes, they do: http://www.donedealpro.com/members/l...ection _id=13

Get an attorney to help you out, if you can, unless you are not that concerned about the script or what goes on ultimately. If it's for a short film it might not be worth the cost, but you'll need to decide that for yourself, of course.
On that note, if you can agree to terms outside the lawyer, a lot of firms in town will write something for relatively cheap including your specs for the deal if you're iffy on doing something yourself.
SCanfieldfilms is offline   Reply With Quote