Why aren't more people talking about The Americans?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why aren't more people talking about The Americans?

I binge watched 4 seasons this year and it's one of the best shows I've seen. Over 4 seasons it's been extremely solid and consistent. It's always moving in a new direction and is rarely predictable.

The acting is stellar and production value high. The premise itself is unique. I'm always seeing stuff on the show I've never seen before.

While some really really crazy stuff happens, it always manages somehow to stay grounded.

Really great stuff. People should watch it. First three seasons are free on Amazon Prime.

Re: Why aren't more people talking about The Americans?

Many nods of agreement. The choices they gotta make, and the repercussions they can never escape from. Gripping series.

Comment

yeah we've halfway through season two and thoroughly enjoying it. Amazing how the writers have made almost everyone sympathetic
      I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

I've been a huge fan since day one.

It is undoubtedly one of the best-written, best-acted, best-everything shows on TV. The premise of Russian spies trying to stay unnoticed in America during the Cold War is great. Even though we technically should be rooting against them, they're made sympathetic due to their traumatic pasts and made relatable due to their marriage and family problems.

Despite all these qualifications, I think it has a number of factors working against it in terms of audience interest. It's a period show. It focuses more on character development than flashy action (despite being a spy show). And let's not rule out the possibility that some people may actually find it hard to relate to the protags because they are Russian spies (even though we also see things from the P.O.V. of American characters like Stan and Martha).

Despite its relatively low ratings and lack of buzz, I'm comforted by the fact that FX has stuck with it -- the fact that it will make it to six seasons is nothing short of a miracle. I'm also happy that it finally got some long-overdue recognition at the Emmys this year. In that respect, it has already achieved something that The Wire (also critically-beloved, also low-rated) never did. That's not too shabby.
        "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

It is a great show.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Good question!

I've binge-watched four seasons now and love the show. Although I secretly root for the FBI characters -- and thought Richard Thomas made an indelible and fine showing inhabiting his FBI character -- the two main characters are so engaging in their devious methods of remaining undetected I also delight in watching the writers of the show pull those two through one scenario after another and all the while handling parenting their adolescent children.

There are times when I distract myself with thoughts of "Where are the children?" when the main characters are being spies away from home evenings, developing an "asset," or engaging in other "spy games" when the children might need them. At first, it made me think about why the writers chose to include children as part of the show, as in, I thought it might have been a mistake to have them. But now I believe I can see the reason the writers chose to do so.

All characters aside, you've got to hand it to the people who researched and created the set design. Having grown up in that time period myself, it's fascinating to see old styles and fashions brought to life on the screen with such subtle shading and in such subtle undertones.

The historical references, too, whether they're cast out in dialogue or delivered in passing to the eye as a poster, bumper sticker, or TV news, et cetera, are so well done as not to be obvious, yet there they rest.

Well done, artists one and all! You rock the show The Americans!
            “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Another thumbs up for the show. I love their plotting. There have been episodes where I was sure they had no choice, but to do A or B. They did A and B and D and then Z.

They continually challenge expectations and exceed at least mine.

Great show. Next season should be very interesting.
              #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Yay! Glad some DDers are on board.

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Anyone else think it's just a matter of time before Philip and Elizabeth start working for the US?

Comment

Originally posted by slupo View Post
                  *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Anyone else think it's just a matter of time before Philip and Elizabeth start working for the US?
                  My god, it's as if you don't even know them.

(lol)

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterso View Post
                    My god, it's as if you don't even know them.

(lol)
                    haha ok so it's obvious. i have no one to talk to about this show with!

Comment

Working for the US.

That would be Z squared. My head would explode, but in a good way where the cerebral matter becomes smoke... (insert joke there) And I can get over it with a few Advil.
                      #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Love this show on multiple levels, not least of which the period settings and attire (though I wish it would use more obscure 80s tunes--think a Yaz tune was used once which was a treat).

All that said, the most recent season was mostly a bore. Some interesting turns, but getting to said turns was a labor. The daughter has become a real nuisance to watch.

Comment

Working...
                        X