Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sundance Writers Lab

Has anyone had any luck with this one? I've, at minimum, started writing my essay's and personal statements, etc. but I haven't totally committed to applying yet.

Who here has entered and had any success? I know that Benh Zeitlin and his writing partner, obviously, had some success a few years back, but I'm more curious about who get's chosen and out of how may applicant's.

Is it based on the material itself, or letters of recommendation, referral's from people already in the business.

Thanks you guys!

Re: Sundance Writers Lab

Ditto this question, I was planning to apply as well.

Comment

i had a friend who made the first cut last year (period biopic). i think Sundance is looking for "Sundancey" material, moreso if the applicant is a hyphenate (writer-director, actor-writer). the impression i get is that they prefer someone coming to the lab with (1) a story that is not of the type that Hollywood typically tells; and (2) that is further along in the creative process than mere inception

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
        i had a friend who made the first cut last year (period biopic). i think Sundance is looking for "Sundancey" material, moreso if the applicant is a hyphenate (writer-director, actor-writer). the impression i get is that they prefer someone coming to the lab with (1) a story that is not of the type that Hollywood typically tells; and (2) that is further along in the creative process than mere inception

But what constitutes further along? It's a completed script, but by no means would I be able to fund a movie like this. It's not some blow-em-up flick where people explode, but it would definetely take some money to get it produced.

I AM however an actor, but not an actor in the sense where I would want to play the main roll myself.

I don't know, I guess I'm just fuzzy on the "further along" process.

Anyway, but that's cool that your bud got further! Did he tell you how many applicants there were to start with?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by RyanCovington View Post
          But what constitutes further along? It's a completed script, but by no means would I be able to fund a movie like this. It's not some blow-em-up flick where people explode, but it would definetely take some money to get it produced.

I AM however an actor, but not an actor in the sense where I would want to play the main roll myself.

I don't know, I guess I'm just fuzzy on the "further along" process.

Anyway, but that's cool that your bud got further! Did he tell you how many applicants there were to start with?

Thanks!
          She didn't say, but I'm assuming it's in the typical 1,000ish+ range.

If you look at the 2013 selections you might get a better sense of what they're looking for, e.g., maybe the writer/director did a short version of the story they want to expand into a feature, or maybe they already have talent attached to it but taking it to Sundance will attract the financing.

http://www.popdecay.com/2012/12/19/1...ters-lab/14510

Comment

Cool! Thanks Joe, for the link!

Comment

I applied in 2011 with a political drama but was kindly told I didn’t make the first cut. After looking at the winners and work that comes out of there it does seem they are looking for projects that are close to production already. Meaning finished script, a few actors, locations, some crew and what not. Basically a good amount of your project should be set but the main thing you need is financing. Having all this in place makes you a priority over someone who just has a nice script.

Comment

I believe what Sundance is looking for out of the writers is passion for their material and their personal connection to the story they want to tell. It has very little to do with how far along the project is. Many projects lose momentum. You face so many roadblocks. So they want to help writers who show the commitment to make their stories a reality.

Every other guess about how they operate is conjecture.

Comment

I made the first cut this year, but didn't advance. Of course they look for strong material, compelling story, and personal connection to it. But other things they seem to consider are serious attachments, director, producer, name actors, from published or acclaimed source material, diversity of writer, and also an extensive resume of previous work, awards, etc.

It's VERY competitive. I mean Barbara Kingsolver was a fellow this year! She's a great American novelist and wrote the "The Poisonwood Bible", for gods sake!

Seems as though everyone has some other produced film work behind them.

Still, you should always try!

Comment

Originally posted by sfire8 View Post
                    It's VERY competitive. I mean Barbara Kingsolver was a fellow this year! She's a great American novelist and wrote the "The Poisonwood Bible", for gods sake!
                    The actual press release was:

"We are delighted to recognize Andrew Bujalski's quirky, original film, Computer Chess as this year's winner and to add it to our impressive ten year list of Sloan Sundance winners, " said Doron Weber, Vice President, Programs at the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. "Coupled with Nicole Kassel's Screenwriting Lab
                    fellowship for a script based on Barbara Kingsolver's 'Prodigal Summer' and a Commissioning Grant for another exciting science screenplay that we will announce shortly, it is clear that the 10-year partnership between Sloan and Sundance continues to set a new standard for science and technology films.-

A science-based lab fellowship was given to Nicole Kassel who adapted Kingsolver's work. Not the same thing as what you stated.

Comment

Seems like a good opportunity.

Unfortunately their FAQ says "Only U.S.-*‐based filmmakers or U.S. citizens living abroad can use the online application for the January Screenwriters Lab."

I want to think that means that only those people can use the "online" application, but I'm taking it to mean you have to be in one of those two groups to apply at all.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanCovington View Post
                        Has anyone had any luck with this one? I've, at minimum, started writing my essay's and personal statements, etc. but I haven't totally committed to applying yet.

Who here has entered and had any success? I know that Benh Zeitlin and his writing partner, obviously, had some success a few years back, but I'm more curious about who get's chosen and out of how may applicant's.

Is it based on the material itself, or letters of recommendation, referral's from people already in the business.

Thanks you guys!
                        I made it into the Sundance Diversity Workshop which will take place in February. I applied through the Black List site. Prior to this, I applied to the regular labs and didn't get in.

As for materials, I had to submit a synopsis of the script, a statement of interest, an artistic statement, and a resume.

Not sure if they'll do it again next year. I'll let you all know how that workshop is.

Comment

Congrats, Lordmanji!

For what it's worth, a few years ago I applied with very little film experience and my script made it to the 2nd round. I think that mere 2nd round placement went pretty far to help me get an awesome cinematographer and editor and other crew to shoot a web series based on the feature script I had submitted. So I'd say apply. The word "SUNDANCE" can open doors.

Comment

A quick heads up:

As part of our recently announced partnership with the Sundance Institute (which was in part responsible for lordmanji's inclusion in their Diversity Lab), screenwriters will be able to opt into consideration for the Writers Lab via the Black List site once they start taking applications on February 15.

Essentially, some still-to-be-determined number of writers who opt in will be passed along to the Lab with the Black List's endorsement a few weeks before the deadline. Those writers will not have to pay an additional fee to complete their application. Writers who opt in but are not selected will still be able to apply directly via Sundance.

Something to consider...

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
                              I believe what Sundance is looking for out of the writers is passion for their material and their personal connection to the story they want to tell. It has very little to do with how far along the project is. Many projects lose momentum. You face so many roadblocks. So they want to help writers who show the commitment to make their stories a reality.

Every other guess about how they operate is conjecture.
                              This also seems to be my feeling. It would be great if we could also apply with our previous films. But in the end they make the first cut based on your cover letter, artistic statement, resume, synopsis and the first five pages...
                              http://damianjohnharper.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X