Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contests That Use Two or More Readers for Entries

Hi guys, hope you're enjoying the weekend. Had a question and was wondering if you could help. I'd like to know which screenwriting contests utilize two or more readers for judging submissions in the first round of judging (so, before any eliminations occur). So far, I am aware of Nicholl and Bluecat doing this. But I'd like to know which of the other top contests do so as well:

-Austin
    -PAGE
    -TrackingB
    -Scriptapalooza
    -Final Draft
    -Tracking Board

I could just go and find out by going on each contest's website and researching their FAQs sections, but it's a Saturday and feeling kinda lazy right now. Was hoping some of you who just know the answers offhand would care to comment
    Last edited by UpandComing; 07-24-2013, 10:19 PM.
    "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Re: Contests That Use Two or More Readers for Entries

At the WGA event, Austin said they do.
    www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
    http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

technically, two judges read your Austin entry only if it advances to the second round. the first round cut is made (at least based on the second-round notes i've received in the past) based on the first judge's evaluation. and only then does the second-round judge score it for purposes of advancing to the semis

Comment

Thanks both of you!

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
          Hi guys, hope you're enjoying the weekend. Had a question and was wondering if you could help. I'd like to know which screenwriting contests utilize two or more readers for judging submissions (film, not TV). So far, I am aware of Nicholl and Bluecat doing this.
          You might want to clarify your question. Do you mean to ask which competitions use two readers for all entries in the initial round? Fairly certain that most competitions ultimately use more than a single reader to determine winners.

I believe scripts at Austin have two chances to advance to the second round. If the first reader likes the script, it advances based on that read. If the first reader doesn't like it, then the script goes to a second reader and can advance if that reader likes it.

During the Academy Nicholl first round, all scripts are read twice. The highest scoring scripts are read a third time. Best two of three reads determines quarterfinalists.

Overall, scripts are read by ten different reader/judges to reach the finals and then by 10-14 committee members to determine the fellowship winners.

Comment

Re: Contests That Use Two or More Readers for First Round

Originally posted by gregbeal View Post
            You might want to clarify your question. Do you mean to ask which competitions use two readers for all entries in the initial round? Fairly certain that most competitions ultimately use more than a single reader to determine winners.

I believe scripts at Austin have two chances to advance to the second round. If the first reader likes the script, it advances based on that read. If the first reader doesn't like it, then the script goes to a second reader and can advance if that reader likes it.

During the Academy Nicholl first round, all scripts are read twice. The highest scoring scripts are read a third time. Best two of three reads determines quarterfinalists.

Overall, scripts are read by ten different reader/judges to reach the finals and then by 10-14 committee members to determine the fellowship winners.
            Hey Greg, good point - yep, I mean contests that use two or more judges in the first round. I've edited my text to reflect this.

Thanks for the information regarding Nicholl and Austin. We're all eagerly awaiting the results!!

Comment

Greg, in the first round, do you add the two scores to determine which scripts get a third read, or do you just look at the highest score of the two reads? I guess in the first case, you might find scripts that are more generally pleasing, whereas in the second case, you might get some that are polarizing (adored by some, reviled by others).

Not sure the answer really matters, but I'm curious.

Thanks very much for the constant flow of information re Nicholl, and for the reader comments on FB.

My website:www.marjorykaptanoglu.com

Comment

A little bit of trivia regarding Austin: in 2008, one of the winners received a "no" from the first reader!

Comment

One of my personal favorites, Big Bear, in the first round uses three readers who each read the first thirty pages.

Comment

Originally posted by Margie Kaptanoglu View Post
                    Greg, in the first round, do you add the two scores to determine which scripts get a third read, or do you just look at the highest score of the two reads? I guess in the first case, you might find scripts that are more generally pleasing, whereas in the second case, you might get some that are polarizing (adored by some, reviled by others).

Not sure the answer really matters, but I'm curious.

Thanks very much for the constant flow of information re Nicholl, and for the reader comments on FB.
                    You're welcome.

It's best one of two scores with a little two of two added in.

For example (from another year), all scripts scoring 82 or better for one of the first two reads garnered a third read. We might also have added all scripts with two scores 80 or 81.

Comment

You're welcome.

It's best one of two scores with a little two of two added in.

For example (from another year), all scripts scoring 82 or better for one of the first two reads garnered a third read. We might also have added all scripts with two scores 80 or 81.
                      Interesting. Nice to have a little of both:-). Thanks for your reply.

If you don't mind my asking one more obscure question: when a script makes it to the quarterfinal round off the two highest scores it received, in the later rounds of judging when you compile all the scores, do you bring back the lowest score from the first round (which wasn't counted initially) and include that in the total count for the script? Or does that score disappear forever?

Comment

Originally posted by Margie Kaptanoglu View Post
                        Interesting. Nice to have a little of both:-). Thanks for your reply.

If you don't mind my asking one more obscure question: when a script makes it to the quarterfinal round off the two highest scores it received, in the later rounds of judging when you compile all the scores, do you bring back the lowest score from the first round (which wasn't counted initially) and include that in the total count for the script? Or does that score disappear forever?
                        It's a little more complicated. Scores don't go away (until the finals) but they may not ever count. For instance:

Best two of three count in the first round to determine the quarterfinalists.

Best five of six count in the quarterfinal round to determine the semifinalists. The third first round score would count if it were higher than the third-best quarterfinal score.

Best eight of ten count in the semifinal round to determine the finalists (though at least three semifinal scores are always counted). Again, the lowest first round score could count as one of the top eight scores.

No scores carry over to the final round where selection is conducted in person through discussion and then voting.

Comment

It's a little more complicated. Scores don't go away (until the finals) but they may not ever count. For instance:

Best two of three count in the first round to determine the quarterfinalists.

Best five of six count in the quarterfinal round to determine the semifinalists. The third first round score would count if it were higher than the third-best quarterfinal score.

Best eight of ten count in the semifinal round to determine the finalists (though at least three semifinal scores are always counted). Again, the lowest first round score could count as one of the top eight scores.

No scores carry over to the final round where selection is conducted in person through discussion and then voting.
                          Thanks once again for your open and detailed explanation of the process.

Perhaps you might add this information to your FAQs on the Nicholl page (unless it's already there and I missed it), for those of us who endlessly obsess right up to the quarterfinalist announcement. Regardless, the fact that you readily answer questions and post comments 7 days a week is hugely appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
                            Hi guys, hope you're enjoying the weekend. Had a question and was wondering if you could help. I'd like to know which screenwriting contests utilize two or more readers for judging submissions in the first round of judging (so, for example, to determine who gets to Quarterfinals). So far, I am aware of Nicholl and Bluecat doing this. But I'd like to know which of the other top contests do so as well:

-Austin
                            -PAGE
                            -TrackingB
                            -Scriptapalooza
                            -Final Draft
                            -Tracking Board

I could just go and find out by going on each contest's website and researching their FAQs sections, but it's a Saturday and feeling kinda lazy right now. Was hoping some of you who just know the answers offhand would care to comment

Just my own personal opinion, but the only three above worth entering are Austin, Page and Scriptapalooza.

As to your question, whether any of the above or any other screenplay competitions read (all screenplays) at least twice, I don't believe any on the list qualify for this. Nicholl is the only one I know of. Some of the above listed have notorious reputations as not being even transparent enough to give any clue as to the reading process at all, much less how many times scripts are read.
                            . "Audiences don't know somebody sits down and writes a picture. They think the actors make it up as they go along.-
                            Joe Gillis, Sunset Boulevard, 1950

Comment

Originally posted by JoeGillis View Post
                              Just my own personal opinion, but the only three above worth entering are Austin, Page and Scriptapalooza.

As to your question, whether any of the above or any other screenplay competitions read (all screenplays) at least twice, I don't believe any on the list qualify for this. Nicholl is the only one I know of. Some of the above listed have notorious reputations as not being even transparent enough to give any clue as to the reading process at all, much less how many times scripts are read.
                              Thanks for your input, Joe. Based on the comments on this board and the research I've done since, these contests offer at least two reads in the first round:

-Nicholl
                              -Austin
                              -Tracking Board
                              -Bluecat

These don't appear to:

-PAGE
                              -TrackingB
                              -Scriptapalooza
                              -Final Draft

As for which ones are worth entering, I was a QF in Final Draft last year, so I'm hard-pressed to say anything bad about it

Comment

Working...
                              X