Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Formerly Repped

I've been formerly repped and others have too, so if I land a new rep, I'll have to debate do I tell them about my past life with my writing partner or pretend it never happened?

How do you balance saying "Look I'm legit" without bringing up, yeah I've been discovered before and it didn't work out...

Do you show them the 1-2 scripts you may still love, but have been seen by the town, so they can't do **** with them or just let them die?

I'm not sure I've seen this question asked.

So I was first repped in 2004... 2007 when a spec went wide with someone else... so that's a lot of years of failure and just not doing stuff too.

I'd tell someone else just focus on the new stuff, maybe mention had some specs go out in the past, so I know the game somewhat, but I'm still a newbie to the town.

It's tough. I'm probably like any job less desirable because I'm a used car... i mean pre-owned car.

Re: Formerly Repped

I've been in that boat. Right now I'm on my fourth manager. Got my first one in 2007, maybe? Stuck with her two years. Second one same thing. Then I was without a rep from 2011-13. I stuck with number three for maybe four months, if that (he sucked). Went without again for another two years, but also at that time I started making a little noise. I got a legit contest win, hooked up with a producer and sent a few scripts out (got meetings, but that's it). Then in 2016 I landed my current manager. I've been with him almost three years, and honestly he's as attentive as he's always been.

Lesson of the story, your history doesn't matter. All that matters is the material you're putting out there. So my advice, don't sweat it. Write something new and make it killer. You've been repped before, you'll be repped again. Once you're ready, start hustling and try to land one by hook or by crook. F*ck the rest.

Comment

I agree with docgonzo. Fresh new meat. Reinvent.

I had just done a year (dumb) of development with a Rudin-type, and previously been with CAA. I thought that might matter. Good selling points? NOPE! No one cared. “What’s your NEW script? And do I love it?” That’s it.

Wow, for real, anything from my past is irrelevant? “Yup! Don’t give a fukk.”

Your past experience amounts to a quick blurb if anything, or don’t mention it. Too much experience and I suspect they’ll feel you’ve run your course and it didn’t WORK (Yup, pre-owed car = skeptical). I feel like working with a big producer and failing to get it made almost hurt me more than it helped me.

Yup, you been repped once, you’ll get repped again.

Good luck, brother!
      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Thanks.

Also my writing partner and I made money via an assignment with producers WME introduced us too, however, it was embarrassing then, but worse now as they are based in Russia. The jokes were funny before, now it's just scary...

Comment

So Doc -- did you mention your past to current manager at all? Or only as you got to know each other?

I did query in emails

BALL SACK -- COMEDY (FORMERLY REPPED BY WME....)

And I think that did get me some reads I wouldn't have gotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
            So Doc -- did you mention your past to current manager at all? Or only as you got to know each other?

I did query in emails

BALL SACK -- COMEDY (FORMERLY REPPED BY WME....)

And I think that did get me some reads I wouldn't have gotten.
            I mean this with all due respect. Since doc and I have the same manager...

I did mention it to him. He was like... honestly no one cares. Okay cool, I appreciate the candor, now I know what we're working with. If it stings, fine, I just want to know the truth. I'd say he's good at giving it to you straight with no B.S. I don't think he mentions anything in my past when pitching me. I don't think it matters to anyone.

This is meant to be a compliment.

Comment

I find comfort that no one cares. Seems easier to move forward. They shouldn't care. Maybe it doesn't matter as it's not like I had a hit movie in 1994 and haven't worked since. Maybe they would care more then about past. But since I didn't make it, they don't give a ****.

Funny you two have the same rep. Did you just find this out via this board or you knew that before?

Sounds like you got a good one and if he treats you both the same great.

Comment

I find comfort that no one cares. Seems easier to move forward. They shouldn't care. Maybe it doesn't matter as it's not like I had a hit movie in 1994 and haven't worked since. Maybe they would care more then about past. But since I didn't make it, they don't give a ****.

Funny you two have the same rep. Did you just find this out via this board or you knew that before?

Sounds like you got a good one and if he treats you both the same great.
                Yeah, I think that's probably true: harder to reinvent if you've already had something MADE then "crapped out- after that vs never had anything made.

Actually, I learned we had the same manager by googling which led me here. I then reached out to doc via PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                  I mean this with all due respect. Since doc and I have the same manager...

I did mention it to him. He was like... honestly no one cares. Okay cool, I appreciate the candor, now I know what we're working with. If it stings, fine, I just want to know the truth. I'd say he's good at giving it to you straight with no B.S. I don't think he mentions anything in my past when pitching me. I don't think it matters to anyone.

This is meant to be a compliment.
                  Like Bono, I used to worry about this. I don't know what changed, but now I just don't give a f*ck. GG's right that it's better to come in fresh no matter how long it's been than to fizzle out and try to rebuild.

I think I mentioned to my manager that I was repped before, and he was like cool. And that was that.

And if I ever received a query with the title BALL SACK, I'm clicking. LOL. I mean, you have to right? I don't think you need the "formerly repped" part.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                    Like Bono, I used to worry about this. I don't know what changed, but now I just don't give a f*ck. GG's right that it's better to come in fresh no matter how long it's been than to fizzle out and try to rebuild.

I think I mentioned to my manager that I was repped before, and he was like cool. And that was that.

And if I ever received a query with the title BALL SACK, I'm clicking. LOL. I mean, you have to right? I don't think you need the "formerly repped" part.
                    even i would click on that.
                    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I just think of first thing that comes to mind and DD and BALLS OUT was a huge part of this site and honestly I thought GucciXXX was a member of that squad in disguise. Robotard forever!

Comment

I just think of first thing that comes to mind and DD and BALLS OUT was a huge part of this site and honestly I thought GucciXXX was a member of that squad in disguise. Robotard forever!
                        Ha! Nope, I wasn't part of that squad (that I know of) but I was here under a different name at that time. The good old days, eh?

Robotard was the sh!t... LOL

But, same... I'd click your link based on title alone.

Comment

Ha! Right? He's like "good for you... so anyway." LOL

Comment

I second that. Anyone who doesn't immediately open a query with the title BALL SACK needs to have brain surgery immediately.

Of course, I assume it's a sports comedy involving a sack of balls.
                            "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

I just threw out the title, but now I'm going to throw out first logline that comes to mind and maybe we all should do the same.

BALL SACK

After a middle aged man gets castrated instead of having a vasectomy by the very cheap doctor he found online, he decides to go on one last road trip with his two best friends in the world before they're gone forever.

Comment

Working...
                              X