Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Mirror (UK)

Anybody watched this? I've just seen the first episode, and have mixed feelings about it: I like the premise but I think it's handled in a rather untruthful way, trying to prove a point. And, somehow, it isn't as provocative as it should be.

I don't know, just mixed feelings. But at least it's more original than most television I've watched recently, so that's good.

MORE: Here is a review that, although brief, nails it IMO: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...VD-review.html

I've just watched the three episodes of the first season. The fist of them was the most original of the three, while the other two would fit well in any sci-fi anthology show. The plots of all three are predictable -and the characters seemed like puppets servicing the plot-, but premise, acting and direction are well above average. And it's different from most tv fiction, what's definitely a plus. All in all, a short anthology series that's worth watching...and then forgetting, probably.
    Last edited by ; 08-27-2012, 03:39 PM.

Re: Black Mirror (UK)

I just started getting caught up on this and I'm really enjoying it. I'm just into season two now, but I think the writing is pretty smart, the premise for each episode has been interesting, and they seem to get pretty solid actors.

I agree maybe it's a little predictable in how each episode is going to end up going, that would also be my only complaint, but otherwise I think the writing is quite good.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the series. Is it flawless? Of course not, but it's an intellectual sci-fi anthology show, and how many opportunities do we get for that.

The show has made me a big Charlie Brooker fan. He's sort of a British Jon Stewart, doing a satirical look at the news on his Weekly Wipe show as well as creating Black Mirror.

Comment

I shudder at the thought of the upcoming American remake.
        "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

You just ruined my day.

Comment

Originally posted by ctp View Post
            You just ruined my day.

Comment

I still hold out hope for a good American version. Not every adaptation is bad. The Office. Hannibal. Fargo...

Comment

Is a U.S. version of 'Black Mirror' a good idea?

Comment

The episode 15 Million Merits is one of my favorite things I saw last year. Really well done, visually, emotionally. The first episode was actually the only one I didn't really care about.

And no, not excited for an American remake. If they're remaking each episode with the same plot, what's the point, the UK version already did it well. If they're new stories than that's somewhat interesting, I guess, but I'm wary they'll be able to hit the same high target.
                  @ZOlkewicz - Don't follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Furious Anjel View Post
                    No.

Comment

US version of this show is bound to be disaster. Unfortunately.

Comment

I've only watched two eppys thus far, and the first blew me away. I thought the second was meh. A US version is a disaster in the making. GRACEPOINT, anyone?
                        http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                          I still hold out hope for a good American version. Not every adaptation is bad. The Office. Hannibal. Fargo...
                          Fargo and Hannibal were US movies. The Office however, is one of the few times American networks/ writers have actually been able to grasp what made something work for a British audience and translate it without losing that essence for a US one. More often than not shows like Broadchurch, Coupling, Birds of a Feather, Ab Fab, Fawlty Towers, Shameless, Gavin & Stacey, The Inbetweeners, Men Behaving Badly, Prime Suspect, Teachers, The Vicar of Dibley, Wild at Heart, Cracker all turn into woeful dross. I mean jeez let's not forget the rather painful Harvey Keitel vehicle -- Life on Mars... For me the problem stems from the fact that most British writers allow a US writer to run the new version of their show. Can't blame them for taking the cash and running but it has an impact. Yes Chibnal was involved in Gracepoint but anyone who's seen season 2 of Broadchurch will know he got very lucky with that gig in the first place and clearly had no long term arc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintclub View Post
                            For me the problem stems from the fact that most British writers allow a US writer to run the new version of their show. Can't blame them for taking the cash and running but it has an impact. Yes Chibnal was involved in Gracepoint but anyone who's seen season 2 of Broadchurch will know he got very lucky with that gig in the first place and clearly had no long term arc.
                            Is this really their choice, do you think? I would wager that the British writers would probably love to work on their shows for a US audience, but once a US executive gets the rights, they're all "We've got this now. Our viewers are different. We need to dumb it down and add a bunch of clichés."

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                              Is this really their choice, do you think? I would wager that the British writers would probably love to work on their shows for a US audience, but once a US executive gets the rights, they're all "We've got this now. Our viewers are different. We need to dumb it down and add a bunch of clichés."
                              Kelly Marcel turned down the chance to oversee Terra Nova and Gervias/ Merchant were both heavily involved in the Office. Smart agents make sure their clients always have a first refusal on rewrites, remakes, adaptations etc

Comment

Working...
                              X