No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Effect of the Coronavirus

Originally posted by Max Otto Schrenck View Post
    "But to be blunt: your mother won't need her eyesight if she's dead from Covid-19."

Yeah. Like my Mother says, "Better my sight than YOUR LIFE."

We have about two and a half weeks to organize a plan, if a plan is possible. I don't think there's any approach we can come up with on our own, without major input from the doctors' shoppe. There are no back doors that I'm aware of at this place. It's like a medical factory. You go through an atrium-style lobby, sign in, wait, get called to one of three waiting areas, wait, go in, have your eyes dilated, go to another waiting area, wait, go get tested and sent to the last waiting room where you wait one last time to have your appointment arranged for the following week, in which further tests may or may not occur before the final shot.

The shot, incidentally, is nowhere near as bad as one might think. It's over in seconds with some possible visual after-effects (a single distracting floater has occurred a couple of times, in the thirty or so shots she's gotten) but no pain.

So what to do? A good seventy five to eighty per cent of the other patients are elderly -- over sixty-five. Are they all going to take a chance coming in? When the flu was in the area, sometimes the place would be half empty. How about now? What is the place even doing open, with local cases surging past triple digits and the first deaths being reported?

Dunno. Facebook ain't talking, and the medical outfit I'm speaking of hasn't given us a heads-up on the phone or by e-mail, to reassure us.

Looks like we may roll the dice on the fate of her eyes for a couple of months, and hope she doesn't fall that far behind....
    Bless her -- my mom would like your mom; they have the same "my child first" sensibility.

Gosh, yeah, you're right. A lot of factors to consider.

I guess "take it one day at a time" is the right adage for this time period.

All the best to you both.

Comment

All of these stories are both horrifying and heartbreaking. The loss of each person is what gets to me.

Then, there's something new they can't figure out. Seemingly young healthy people get sick and rapidly declining down hill and dying in a matter of a few days. I heard a story of a woman and husband both with Covid-19 she was sick first. Then on Friday his symptoms worsen, trouble breathing. The hospitals sends him home, tells him rest, fluids-- the usual. Then Sunday at 2am he's still having problems breathing and by the next time she checks on him at 6am he's already dead. Or a young family of four where all of them die, including their kids-- it's incomprehensible the pain people are facing.

I think Fauci said there's something they're not seeing completely from this virus. Birx said that it's stable and hasn't mutated-- which should scare the shirt out of everyone, because it could mutate into something even more virulent.

Tigerfang, you're doing the right thing. Please take good care of yourself-- your girlfriend is a keeper.

Max Otto Schrenck, DO NOT take any chances. Demand that they take your health as serious as you do. They work for you. They're getting PAID for a service.

DayJobWriter, great advice, thank you for sharing.

Friday, unfortunately, there just isn't anyway for them to get a vaccine in less than 12-18 months. Bill Gates is already working on a viral vaccine platform that will allow them to be prepared for the NEXT virus. They anticipate being able to get a vaccine in a year once they have the platform created. So it's like having the cannoli shell made and just waiting for someone to say what to fill it with. The filling would be the specific virology-attacking-**** they need for a specific virus. Any new virus. It's actually going to change the time line significantly, but it will STILL take a year for each new vaccine. He said he can't see how you could make it shorter. It was an interview he did on CNN last week i think.

The weirdest thing is the compression of time. Everything is happening SO FAST that you don't even realize it.

On MARCH 19 #CASES 13,779 DEATHS: 206

17 days later #CASES 333,000 DEATHS: 9528

We watch the numbers every day, so it seems it's been months, but it hasn't.

A Breaking News report just came out saying that Tigers at the BRONX ZOO one tiger has tested positive for COVID-19. The tiger was exposed by an asymptomatic worker. Six other large cats are now showing symptoms.

If animals can get it from us, seems the chances are pretty good that we can get it from animals.

Scary ****ing ****, man.

Be well and safe everyone.
      Last edited by finalact4; 04-05-2020, 03:28 PM.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
        All of these stories are both horrifying and heartbreaking. The loss of each person is what gets to me.

Then, there's something new they can't figure out. Seemingly young healthy people get sick and rapidly declining down hill and dying in a matter of a few days. I heard a story of a woman and husband both with Covid-19 she was sick first. Then on Friday his symptoms worsen, trouble breathing. The hospitals sends him home, tells him rest, fluids-- the usual. Then Sunday at 2am he's still having problems breathing and by the next time she checks on him at 6am he's already dead. Or a young family of four where all of them die, including their kids-- it's incomprehensible the pain people are facing.

I think Fauci said there's something they're not seeing completely from this virus. Birdx said that it's stable and hasn't mutated-- which should scare the shirt out of everyone, because it could mutate into something even more virulent.

Tigerfang, you're doing the right thing. Please take good care of yourself-- your girlfriend is a keeper.

Max Otto Schrenck, DO NOT take any chances. Demand that they take your health as serious as you do. They work for you. They're getting PAID for a service.

DayJobWriter, great advice, thank you for sharing.

Friday, unfortunately, there just isn't anyway for them to get a vaccine in less than 12-18 months. Bill Gates is already working on a viral vaccine platform that will allow them to be prepared for the NEXT virus. They anticipate being able to get a vaccine in a year once they have the platform created. So it's like having the cannoli shell made and just waiting for someone to say what to fill it with. The filling would be the specific virology-attacking-**** they need for a specific virus. Any new virus. It's actually going to change the time line significantly, but it will STILL take a year for each new vaccine. He said he can't see how you could make it shorter. It was an interview he did on CNN last week i think.

The weirdest thing is the compression of time. Everything is happening SO FAST that you don't even realize it.

On MARCH 19 #CASES 13,779 DEATHS: 206

17 days later #CASES 333,000 DEATHS: 9528

We watch the numbers every day, so it seems it's been months, but it hasn't.

A Breaking News report just came out saying that Tigers at the BRONX ZOO one tiger has tested positive for COVID-19. The tiger was exposed by an asymptomatic worker. Six other large cats are now showing symptoms.

If animals can get it from us, seems the chances are pretty good that we can get it from animals.

Scary ****ing ****, man.

Be well and safe everyone.

I saw on the news that the ocean could have some of the corona virus. When the rain washes the ground into the nearby ocean. Every time a wave comes, it's like a sneeze from the ocean. I also heard another expert on one of the network news speculate that it might also be the level of exposure. You see those people stuck on cruise ships who are probably exposed much longer and with more frequency than maybe someone who maybe just had a passing contact with someone infected.

God, I don't know what's going to happen if this drags on for 1 year. We're going to waste 1 year of our lives stuck at home. Can't even socialize. Can't even do the most basic things. This will kill brick and mortar businesses and restaurants. People will be less friendly. Divorces are supposedly rising.

How are movie theaters going to handle this? They are missing out on the biggest opening months - April and Summer. And if they lose out on the Christmas holidays...not sure how they handle the deficit.

Comment

I know Bill Gates has his own timeline, but I also hear other doctors claim a shorter timeline. I am just wondering if any of them are close to a cure? I wish the news would report more on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
            I know Bill Gates has his own timeline, but I also hear other doctors claim a shorter timeline. I am just wondering if any of them are close to a cure? I wish the news would report more on that.
            Below is a link to what may be one of the more promising developments in the search for a Covid-19 vaccine. Worth noting that this is just a small first step -- they're still a couple of months away from clinical trials, and, if successful, it will take another 4-6 to scale up. As many researchers have already said, don't expect a vaccine for at least a year or so, at the earliest. However some anti-virals -- drugs like remdesivir, for those already afflicted with the disease -- may become available sooner.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ne/5112675002/

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Nemo View Post
              Below is a link to what may be one of the more promising developments in the search for a Covid-19 vaccine. Worth noting that this is just a small first step -- they're still a couple of months away from clinical trials, and, if successful, it will take another 4-6 to scale up. As many researchers have already said, don't expect a vaccine for at least a year or so, at the earliest. However some anti-virals -- drugs like remdesivir, for those already afflicted with the disease -- may become available sooner.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ne/5112675002/

Cool. Thanks. I read somewhere that in order to fast track the cure, a lot of them are skipping certain steps they normally take just because of this dire situation.

Comment

Cool. Thanks. I read somewhere that in order to fast track the cure, a lot of them are skipping certain steps they normally take just because of this dire situation.
                I just want to mention something, and maybe you realize this...

But vaccines aren't really cures. They work by allowing your body to develop immunities against the disease so that when you are exposed to the disease after you've been immunized your body can fight off the infection.

Even if you are vaccinated shortly after contracting the disease and you get immunized immediately you may/can still get the disease because your body has not had time to develop "enough" antibodies to fight off the infection.

There is also the added chance that you will have to be continually vaccinated, because they don't know how long the vaccine will last. They also don't know yet if you can get reinfected. They hope that you are immune for a while, but they don't know how long the "while" is.

That's why it's so imperative that they develop a therapy for the disease at the same time because 1) it's going to be a WHILE before a vaccine is approved and 2) the vaccine will be in short supply for a while. I mean, think about it, every human on the planet will want to be immunized.

That means poor countries will not be first in line, which could threaten some industries.

The physical distancing is important because that (in combination with a vaccine) is how you eradicate a disease. As soon as there is a new infection discovered after this outbreak is under control, they will contact trace every single exposure and quarantine every single person until 1) they are no long infectious and/or 2) no longer test positive for the disease. When every one of the person's who were traced back to "patient zero" for that outbreak they burn out the disease.

That's why testing is going to be the next big step. They might have to use large areas to quarantine people to stop the spreads in the beginning of a new outbreak. We couldn't do that this time out in the US because we had a dipsh!t telling everyone it was going to disappear within days. It spread too fast to be able to do contact tracing and all we could do is mitigate.

So even after we restart society we have to go slow and we have to still be very careful. All the treatment/therapy measures will be important in helping the infected boost their own immune system to be better at fighting off the disease.

I'm not a doctor, so anyone feel free to correct me, but I think this is the situation. We won't be out of the woods for a while. And, the truth is, we (society) will never be the same.

I think by maybe June productions might get back on track, but I think there might be a change in WHERE films are made because some areas where it might have been financially advantageous to film, might become too risky from an insurance point of view. I don't know really, I'm just guessing how it might roll out.

Imagine insurance dictating where you shoot your film.

Any thoughts?
                Last edited by finalact4; 04-07-2020, 02:40 PM.
                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                  I just want to mention something, and maybe you realize this...

Vaccines aren't cures. They work by allowing your body to develop immunities against the disease so that when you are exposed to the disease after you've been immunized your body can fight off the infection.

If you contract a disease and then get immunized you still can get the disease.

Even if you are vaccinated shortly after contracting the disease and you get immunized immediately you may still get the disease because your body has not had time to develop "enough" antibodies to fight off the infection.

That's why it's so imperative that they develop a therapy for the disease at the same time because 1) it's going to be a WHILE before a vaccine is approved and 2) the vaccine will be in short supply for a while. I mean, think about it, every human on the planet will want to be immunized.

That means poor countries will not be first in line, which could threaten some industries.

The physical distancing is important because that (in combination with a vaccine) is how you eradicate a disease. As soon as there is a new infection discovered after this outbreak is under control, they will contact trace every single exposure and quarantine every single person until 1) they are no long infectious and/or 2) no longer test positive for the disease. When every one of the person's who were traced back to "patient zero" for that outbreak they burn out the disease.

That's why testing is going to be the next big step. They might have to use large areas to quarantine people to stop the spreads in the beginning of a new outbreak. We couldn't do that this time out in the US because we had a dipsh!t telling everyone it was going to disappear within days. It spread too fast to be able to do contact tracing and all we could do is mitigate.

So even after we restart society we have to go slow and we have to still be very careful. All the treatment/therapy measures will be important in helping the infected boost their own immune system to be better at fighting off the disease.

I'm not a doctor, so anyone feel free to correct me, but I think this is the situation. We won't be out of the woods for a while. And, the truth is, we (society) will never be the same.

I think by maybe June productions might get back on track, but I think there might be a change in WHERE films are made because some areas where it might have been financially advantageous to film, might become too risky from an insurance point of view. I don't know really, I'm just guessing how it might roll out.

Imagine insurance dictating where you shoot your film.

Any thoughts?

I just want it to go back to the way it was in December. You could enjoy a nice movie. Have conversations without it being a fearful event. The only thing we don't have is time. If this goes on longer, businesses will be lost, entire industries might not be able to recover, some people might lose their entire savings.

When I look at what South Korea did and what we did, I feel very upset. Why oh why, did we allow freedom of travel from these hot spots in January when there were detailed reports saying that US could be the next hot zone if they didn't start limiting travel from these areas. At least restrict travel, make sure people are checked and have them quarantined for 21 days (yes, I think it's longer than 14) before travelers can roam around spreading this like a wildfire. None of the tests were ready. No infrastructure of keeping track of everyone. To this day, there's still no national policies on people being outside. It's still up to the Governors and many Governors have stubbornly refused to clamp down. South Korea's technology and equipment seems far ahead of the US. Their gear looks like something out of sci fi, far more advanced than the face cloths I see our doctors wear. Theirs wear full on hazmat suits and they have plenty of isolation chambers to keep the disease isolated.

Even if a production is done, it might be in a much more limited capacity. A lot of the cool locations will not be used and those large scale crowd scenes will be scrapped.

By the way, I heard on the news that they're urging people in LA not even to go to grocery stores. I am wondering if you guys have been out to a grocery store this week? I think people were scrambling to get their last shopping done before that.

Comment

By the way, I heard on the news that they're urging people in LA not even to go to grocery stores. I am wondering if you guys have been out to a grocery store this week? I think people were scrambling to get their last shopping done before that.
                    I went to the grocery store and the pharmacy today. Not a ton of people out. No lines outside, so I think most to many are being very smart about it. And folks for the most part were wearing masks and remaining careful. It is going on, but quiet out there for sure.

It's not a stay at home order, of course. I don't think it will come down to that. The urging is helping though, but people still do need to get certain things as I and others did this afternoon, and surely will this weekend. Just masks and lots of hand washing.
                    Will
                    Done Deal Pro
                    www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
                      I went to the grocery store and the pharmacy today. Not a ton of people out. No lines outside, so I think most to many are being very smart about it. And folks for the most part were wearing masks and remaining careful. It is going on, but quiet out there for sure.

It's not a stay at home order, of course. I don't think it will come down to that. The urging is helping though, but people still do need to get certain things as I and others did this afternoon, and surely will this weekend. Just masks and lots of hand washing.

I think a lot of people are confused by the urging issued by leaders. They are not sure if it's an order, etc. Some cities like Riverside have made an order about wearing face masks, hinting at possible fines, but right now just trying to educate people. I actually would be out if it weren't for the guilt thing about risking loved ones or even people I don't know. The news of how healthy asymptomatic people can cause the spread and be responsible for other people getting sick got me to stay home. I can't really remember the last time I got a cold and I never really needed a flu shot...but all the news has effectively made me stay home.

Are they still out of toilet paper? I'd kill right now to have a nice iced diet coke watching a movie in Dolby with some fried chicken and ice cream. Those were the days.

Comment

By the way, how is all this social distancing effecting L.A.? Is it helping slow things down? I feel like that Cloverfeld movie where I have no idea what's happening outside....only anecdotal things from people telling me.

Comment

Are they still out of toilet paper? I'd kill right now to have a nice iced diet coke watching a movie in Dolby with some fried chicken and ice cream. Those were the days.
                          So easy to get all of that. Put on a little mask. Don't touch your face while out. Use the wipes at the store they give you to wipe hands and car.

About the only they really like in certain stores is TP, paper towels, and napkins. I bought four liters of DC today and didn't blink and eye. Super easy. Lots of it. Lots of ice cream too. Didn't look in the deli area but they probably had fried chicken. If not, there is GrubHub, DoorDash and/or Postmates. I don't think there is any type of good you can't get on those. Ordering from one of those tonight.

And the social distancing has been fine for me, at least. Maybe others have trouble. But I have yet to see a problem. Sometimes there is a line. Goes pretty quickly. Other times, like today and others, I waltzed right in. Done in maybe ten minutes or so.

Wear a mask. It's the safer way to go. Make it if you have to. But do something if you can, I'd suggest.
                          Will
                          Done Deal Pro
                          www.donedealpro.com

Comment

By the way, how is all this social distancing effecting L.A.? Is it helping slow things down? I feel like that Cloverfeld movie where I have no idea what's happening outside....only anecdotal things from people telling me.
                            *affecting*

People still go out, walk with pets or in pairs, take kids for walks or bike rides, being sure to stay distant from other.

We go to the store, though you have to wait in line. Many things out of stock.

Most restaurants have super efficient take-out with no contact. Drug stores have set up barriers for the cashiers. Masks and gloves are abundant.

Roads are as clear as I've seen them. Air quality is the best it's been since the 1960s, apparently.

Whether it's slowing the spread won't be known for a few weeks or even months. LA is fortunate to have drastically decreased pop. density, so we'll likely never experience what NYC is going through.

Been seeing photos of pristine beaches, empty 405. Polar bears, roaming the streets of La Canada.

Maybe human civilization wasn't the best thing to happen.
                            Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 04-07-2020, 05:30 PM. Reason: Removed extra paragraph breaks.
                            ==========

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
                              So easy to get all of that. Put on a little mask. Don't touch your face while out. Use the wipes at the store they give you to wipe hands and car.

About the only they really like in certain stores is TP, paper towels, and napkins. I bought four liters of DC today and didn't blink and eye. Super easy. Lots of it. Lots of ice cream too. Didn't look in the deli area but they probably had fried chicken. If not, there is GrubHub, DoorDash and/or Postmates. I don't think there is any type of good you can't get on those. Ordering from one of those tonight.

And the social distancing has been fine for me, at least. Maybe others have trouble. But I have yet to see a problem. Sometimes there is a line. Goes pretty quickly. Other times, like today and others, I waltzed right in. Done in maybe ten minutes or so.

Wear a mask. It's the safer way to go. Make it if you have to. But do something if you can, I'd suggest.

Oh, I meant doing that in a Dolby movie theater like in the old days five months ago. I haven't been to a supermarket in weeks.

Just curious, how many of you are ordering from restaurants? I probably used to eat out 5 times a week... I wonder how restaurants are dealing right now.

Comment

I haven't been to a supermarket in weeks.
                                Friday go outside!! Go for a walk. A long one. You could also go through a drive-thru and get something to eat. If you need something at the grocery store, go get it. If you sit and watch the news all day it's all pretty bleak. If you sit and wonder all day what's happening your imagination gets the best of you.

Seriously. Go for a walk. Wear a mask or bandana over your face, but go.

Comment

Working...
                                X