No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Effect of the Coronavirus

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
    So easy to get all of that. Put on a little mask. Don't touch your face while out. Use the wipes at the store they give you to wipe hands and car.

About the only they really like in certain stores is TP, paper towels, and napkins. I bought four liters of DC today and didn't blink and eye. Super easy. Lots of it. Lots of ice cream too. Didn't look in the deli area but they probably had fried chicken. If not, there is GrubHub, DoorDash and/or Postmates. I don't think there is any type of good you can't get on those. Ordering from one of those tonight.

And the social distancing has been fine for me, at least. Maybe others have trouble. But I have yet to see a problem. Sometimes there is a line. Goes pretty quickly. Other times, like today and others, I waltzed right in. Done in maybe ten minutes or so.

Wear a mask. It's the safer way to go. Make it if you have to. But do something if you can, I'd suggest.
    I'm having no issues finding the usual stuff. Except for the Mandarin orange chicken at Trader Joe's. I can't ever find it now!

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
      Friday go outside!! Go for a walk. A long one. You could also go through a drive-thru and get something to eat. If you need something at the grocery store, go get it. If you sit and watch the news all day it's all pretty bleak. If you sit and wonder all day what's happening your imagination gets the best of you.

Seriously. Go for a walk. Wear a mask or bandana over your face, but go.

It's not safe. People do not social distance as well as they think.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
        I'm having no issues finding the usual stuff. Except for the Mandarin orange chicken at Trader Joe's. I can't ever find it now!

I love the stuff at Trader Joes. The last time I went people had taken all the good stuff.

Comment

Memos were sent to the President telling him in January that the corona virus would infect millions and cost the economy trillions, but he said he didn't read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
            Memos were sent to the President telling him in January that the corona virus would infect millions and cost the economy trillions, but he said he didn't read it.
            Thersitical trolls can’t read; it’s their weakness, their Achilles’ heel. In a world where all the cars are upside down, thersitical trolls believe they can drive.

Friday! Go outside and play in the street! Really. Now, there’s so little traffic you can actually go outside and play in the street. Get your street hockey gear on and practice slapshots with the neighborhood kids or something.

Walk a dog (just grab any dog and walk it). Drive out to the dog park and take a long walk; watch where you step. DO something. I believe I have more reason to be nervous than you do, but I know your “Nervous Nellie” routine will be bad for your health.

Not to make you more upset, but FYI, this isolation/quarantine routine will last several months and maybe a year or more, as I see it. I’ve more or less done this routine for well over a year now, so another year won’t hurt me. It won’t hurt you, either.

Imagine being cooped up in an aluminum can for months on end on your way to Mars. This isolation/quarantine routine is much better than that!

As for the impact on us all, the world is just going to have to forget about its all-consuming Greed for a while and hit the “Reset” button.
            Last edited by Clint Hill; 04-08-2020, 12:56 PM.
            “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
              He doesn't read anything because he's a moron and doesn't give a sh!t.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                He doesn't read anything because he's a moron and doesn't give a sh!t.

He just shouts down reporters as "third rate reporters" who "won't make it" when they ask him tough questions (like why he did not take it seriously when it was first presented to him).

Comment

Interesting article:
                  https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...n-15187085.php

As someone who caught what he thought was the flu in late December and tried unsuccessfully to fight it off, then was taken to Urgent Care by my wife where they checked me out and immediately called an ambulance, which then took me to Intensive Care where I spent 4 days in isolation on a ventilator with nurses and doctors coming and going wearing what looked like hazmat outfits, the article makes sense.

They diagnosed it as some kind of "pneumonia", though it sounded like they weren't entirely sure.
                  PuppyTummy.com

Comment

I kind of buy this idea. It definitely seemed like there was a worse-than-usual flu season in Los Angeles this winter. I actually discussed with friends at the time how it seemed more people we knew were down with worse cases of the flu than previous years. My roommate got completely knocked out by the flu in November and then AGAIN in January. What are the odds one of those wasn't Corona? And my girlfriend, who is from Italy, got very sick right after flying back to LA after the holidays (from Milan no less) with a bad respiratory illness that knocked her down for a week and a half.

This was all right before Coronavirus had entered the news, so it wasn't a thought in our minds at the time. But looking back... it makes a ton of sense. Glad you recovered iknownuffin!

Comment

Thanks, DLev.
                      PuppyTummy.com

Comment

Originally posted by DLev24 View Post
                        I kind of buy this idea. It definitely seemed like there was a worse-than-usual flu season in Los Angeles this winter. I actually discussed with friends at the time how it seemed more people we knew were down with worse cases of the flu than previous years. My roommate got completely knocked out by the flu in November and then AGAIN in January. What are the odds one of those wasn't Corona? And my girlfriend, who is from Italy, got very sick right after flying back to LA after the holidays (from Milan no less) with a bad respiratory illness that knocked her down for a week and a half.

This was all right before Coronavirus had entered the news, so it wasn't a thought in our minds at the time. But looking back... it makes a ton of sense. Glad you recovered iknownuffin!

A few celebrities mentioned coming down with the Corona after they took a flight.... so maybe it's like the cruise ships. A bunch of people stuck in a confined space. Who knows if a carrier is on that flight.

Comment

They're about to test this new drug that keeps the corona from attaching to people's lungs. Cross your fingers.

Comment

Musing about the state of the cinema theaters in the United States because of the first wave of the coronavirus pandemic, I wondered if once things settle down to normal again, if those cinema theaters left standing—including drive-in theaters—will see a resurgence in packed seats and parking spaces.

A large, locally owned theater in my current city offers a free bucket of popcorn to anyone who drives up outside, no purchase required. Customers can also order food and beverages—including alcoholic beverages—to go.

A movie theater is the only place to experience properly a film designed and constructed to show on a 90’ by 30’ reflective screen. Once the pandemic subsides, I hope people turn out in droves for films in theaters. On the other hand, many might be exceedingly cautious about doing so.

Comment

@WindsorMann quote from Twitter:

Isaac Asimov died OTD in 1992. This quotation from 1980 holds up:

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States…. [It is] nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”
                              Last edited by Clint Hill; 04-09-2020, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
                                Musing about the state of the cinema theaters in the United States because of the first wave of the coronavirus pandemic, I wondered if once things settle down to normal again, if those cinema theaters left standing-including drive-in theaters-will see a resurgence in packed seats and parking spaces.

A large, locally owned theater in my current city offers a free bucket of popcorn to anyone who drives up outside, no purchase required. Customers can also order food and beverages-including alcoholic beverages-to go.

A movie theater is the only place to experience properly a film designed and constructed to show on a 90' by 30' reflective screen. Once the pandemic subsides, I hope people turn out in droves for films in theaters. On the other hand, many might be exceedingly cautious about doing so.

I am hoping for packed theaters when they reopen. I saw a poll recently that stated that when asked when theaters reopen would people go back, 20% said they would go back immediately, 60% said they would wait a few weeks before going back, and 20% said they would wait a few months.

Maybe what they should do when they reopen is with each ticket purchase you get a face mask to wear when inside the building.

Comment

Working...
                                X