Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Effect of the Coronavirus

Speaking of crowds, check out King Vidor's wonderful silent film, The Crowd.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
      Time will tell, but I think, if the death toll goes up unfortunately, the people who voted for the dumbf*ck game show host will find either themselves in a hospital bed or learn their loved ones and/or friends died in one, and they'll learn the hard way.
      Lol, yes it's a well know fact that the fate of the stock market, the economy, and literally every human life is in Trumps hands and his hands alone. No one else can do a thing without his approval or help.

It's not bad enough that liberals basically handed him the White House by giving him a billion dollars in free publicity every day (due to their inability to stop obsessively talking about him for even 5 minutes), now they're elevating him to God-like levels where the FATE OF THE WORLD is in his hands. He's basically the second most famous human ever behind Jesus at this point anyway.

The only thing that needs to be done to defeat Trump in 2020 is for people to STOP TALKING ABOUT HIM. But they can't (and he knows it), because the liberals Achilles Heel is that they can't stop telling everyone how much smarter and morally superior they are.

I can't decide if it's more funny or nauseating.

Back on topic, I got a call from a lit manager yesterday who finally got around to reading a script I sent 5 months ago, so there is a lot of catching up happening.

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post

I can decide which one you are.

Comment

...Back on topic, I got a call from a lit manager yesterday who finally got around to reading a script I sent 5 months ago, so there is a lot of catching up happening.
          Here are a few things from various sources and newsletters I've received:

From ScriptRevolution.com: "...due to so many industry members having to isolate themselves and with so many productions on hold, I'm seeing a lot of high profile people sign up to Script Revolution to find new material. Please do not assume the whole industry is in shutdown. There is tremendous opportunity out there right now for screenwriters."

From InkTip.com: "...as you may have heard, production has been postponed on the majority of films and television shows. Release dates for films have been pushed back, and the majority of theaters have suspended operations. However, this does not mean the industry has shut down. Many organizations, including studios, agencies, production houses, have implemented a work-from-home policy to complete post-production, release content on platforms, and develop new material for a hopeful future."

And don't forget how VPF headlines with "Always Live 24/7"

(I've seen others, but can't track them down ... because I'm pretty busy!)

But I'm thinking this is really no time to give up and just shoot pool or watch movies. Producers (and reps) really have no excuse now to not get caught up on their reading. They'll be reducing their reading piles as we speak, and for their own future's sake should be somewhat open to new queries for "future" prospective projects. They were probably doing some of this anyway, when the writers' strike was a possibility.

Me? I'm polishing profusely, and prepping another broad mail out, like Query blitz of another variety but with a family/dramedy/comedy theme, and working my way through my IMDBpro free trial. Sheesh, though, my own database is far more accurate than the stuff in their listings. It has lots of names, but you really have to check every one of them on LinkedIn, which like individual person's listings on IMDB is like their resume, but seems far more current and complete.

But, I'll persist over the free month and see what I can divine out of it. So, lots to do.

Comment

Lol, yes it's a well know fact that the fate of the stock market, the economy, and literally every human life is in Trumps hands and his hands alone. No one else can do a thing without his approval or help.

It's not bad enough that liberals basically handed him the White House by giving him a billion dollars in free publicity every day (due to their inability to stop obsessively talking about him for even 5 minutes), now they're elevating him to God-like levels where the FATE OF THE WORLD is in his hands. He's basically the second most famous human ever behind Jesus at this point anyway.

The only thing that needs to be done to defeat Trump in 2020 is for people to STOP TALKING ABOUT HIM. But they can't (and he knows it), because the liberals Achilles Heel is that they can't stop telling everyone how much smarter and morally superior they are.

Back on topic, I got a call from a lit manager yesterday who finally got around to reading a script I sent 5 months ago, so there is a lot of catching up happening.

How can you stop talking about him if he's the leader of the free world? During his recent "fireside chats" press conferences, he's been putting out half-ass truths. You can't ignore him like if he was a celebrity, and that's the sad thing about this mess. Fortunately, he's not God.
            "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
              Well, this is what happens when you elect a dumbf*ck game show host for president. Hopefully, it teaches us a lesson, but I doubt it.
              tRump was briefed about the COVID-19 threat on or before Jan 20. Two days later (Jan 22) he was quoted as saying, "We have it totally under control. It's one person coming in from China."

I'll end with this...

Trump held campaign rallies on Jan 9, Jan 14, Jan 28, Jan 30, Feb 10, Feb 19, Feb 20, Feb 21 & Feb 28

He golfed on Jan 18, Jan 19, Feb 1, Feb 15, Mar 7 & Mar 8

Comment

Fortunately, he's not God.
                And yet he continues to behave as if he is.
                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by bioprofessor View Post
                  tRump was briefed about the COVID-19 threat on or before Jan 20. Two days later (Jan 22) he was quoted as saying, "We have it totally under control. It's one person coming in from China."

I'll end with this...

Trump held campaign rallies on Jan 9, Jan 14, Jan 28, Jan 30, Feb 10, Feb 19, Feb 20, Feb 21 & Feb 28

He golfed on Jan 18, Jan 19, Feb 1, Feb 15, Mar 7 & Mar 8
                  And do you want to know what's really sad, if we're looking for leadership? December through end February the Democrats were totally seized with impeachment, and their own nomination race. Nothing to worry about there!

Meanwhile, up here in Canada, our "starry" blackface leader has fallen behind silly Trump in every respect (closing border, financial impetus, etc.)

Oh yeah, "no politician is going to come out of this looking good."

I'm already used to never going out, being retired on a wee pension as I am, so I can totally understand why this new reality bites so much.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                    And yet he continues to behave as if he is.

He's in for a rude awakening if he hasn't gotten it already.
                    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

He's in for a rude awakening if he hasn't gotten it already.
                      He sent 280 million masks to other countries this past Monday to make a profit for his cronies, while front line heroes are sick and dying and in desperate need of them.

He's an embarrassment to humanity.

I can't even imagine what the industry will become, you know? It's not going away, despite Trump's omnipotent proclamation that it will all end soon.

Our entire way of life is changing. Anyone who thinks otherwise is naive.
                      Last edited by finalact4; 04-02-2020, 05:09 AM.
                      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by catcon View Post
                        And do you want to know what's really sad, if we're looking for leadership? December through end February the Democrats were totally seized with impeachment, and their own nomination race. Nothing to worry about there!
                        Jan. 27: Joe Biden: Trump is worst possible leader to deal with coronavirus outbreak

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/4581710002/

Jan. 28: Elizabeth Warren releases plan to prevent and contain infectious diseases amid coronavirus outbreak

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/28/eliz...-outbreak.html

Jan. 28: 'A mess': 2020 Democrats accuse Trump of making US more vulnerable to coronavirus

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...to-coronavirus

Feb. 1: Biden slams Trump response to coronavirus epidemic: This is no time for "fearmongering"

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...virus-outbreak

Feb. 4: Democrats urge emergency funding for coronavirus outbreak

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/4...virus-outbreak

Feb. 13: Who leads coronavirus response at NSC, Democratic senators ask

https://www.rollcall.com/2020/02/13/...-senators-ask/

I could provide more if you'd like.

Comment

An additional 6.6 million Americans file unemployment-- 10 million in a couple of weeks. Yikes!

The government THINKS that we're going to just bounce back by the third quarter of this year. I'm not that optimistic... first we still can't get young people to practice social distancing, and second, I don't see how we will possibly get rid of COVID-19 until there's a vaccine.

Millions of people will fear going to public places. Think about the psychology of what happened to the social psyche when Jaws came out. Many people refused to go into the water for at least an entire season.

Today they are saying that the virus can be deposited into the air just by talking normally and that it has the ability to HANG in the air and you can unknowingly just walk through the virus-- IOW, there may not be anyone you can SEE, and still get infected. I hope it's not true.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                            Our entire way of life is changing. Anyone who thinks otherwise is naive.

Gee, do you really think so??

Our way of life was always changing anyway, now it will happen faster.

The movie studios have been fighting with the theater chains over release date windows for years. Now that fight is pretty much over and the theater chains will be lucky to even stay in business.

The writers have been fighting with the agencies for over a year, and while that fight is not over, lets see how companies like Endeavor weather the next 6-12 months with their $5B in debt.

Plus 100 other consequences -

Amazon will finish putting the rest of the retail stores out of business.

Our cars, buses, garbage trucks, etc. will drive themselves.

Our dirty money will be replaced by digital cash.

A large portion of the elderly population (the last generation to accumulate real wealth) will die off and have their assets redistributed.

A large portion of the population will be permanently unemployed and switch to the UBI Lifestyle (ie. stay at home, smoke pot and play video games).

Your phone will be tracking your every move, including your health and who and how many people you are associating with, and reporting it back to the government.

All of these things were on track to happen anyway in the next 20-25 years. Now it will be 10-15.

None of these things have ever had anything to do with who the person currently in the White House is.

Comment

Gee, do you really think so??

Our way of life was always changing anyway, now it will happen faster.

The movie studios have been fighting with the theater chains over release date windows for years. Now that fight is pretty much over and the theater chains will be lucky to even stay in business.

The writers have been fighting with the agencies for over a year, and while that fight is not over, lets see how companies like Endeavor weather the next 6-12 months with their $5B in debt.

Plus 100 other consequences -

Amazon will finish putting the rest of the retail stores out of business.

Our cars, buses, garbage trucks, etc. will drive themselves.

Our dirty money will be replaced by digital cash.

A large portion of the elderly population (the last generation to accumulate real wealth) will die off and have their assets redistributed.

A large portion of the population will be permanently unemployed and switch to the UBI Lifestyle (ie. stay at home, smoke pot and play video games).

Your phone will be tracking your every move, including your health and who and how many people you are associating with, and reporting it back to the government.

All of these things were on track to happen anyway in the next 20-25 years. Now it will be 10-15.

None of these things have ever had anything to do with who the person currently in the White House is.
                              This change will come as a shock to our system, even moreso than it has right now. Most Americans have 1) no insight into our future social evolution in general and 2) could care less. So, these "changes" will seem, by far, more extreme.

But I'm talking also about how the way we interact with each other will have a notable impact. For years already, I've avoided shaking hands before meetings, when ever possible, because I felt there was always the chance that people didn't wash their hands as much after they went to the restroom (yeah, I know it could just be me).

I can only remember ever having the flu one time, when i was a kid. I've had bronchitis, maybe 4-5 times in my life. I'm healthy and want to stay that way.

I was probably the only one in my office that never "hugged" other colleagues in the office-- possibly resulting in why i wasn't included in all the office gossip. haha.

Comment

Originally posted by bhaas View Post
                                ...I could provide more if you'd like.
                                But what did they DO? Were they seized on the issue of COVID-19, if it were as important as this mere list of talking points suggests? Nope. They're not helpless, after all, since they were able to launch an impeachment proceeding that took up enough oxygen so the news was full of it for months.

But now that throwing Trumpoid out of office is off the table for several month, hmm, what else can we go on about? Hmm...

As I say, no politician is going to come out of this well.

It's like the opposition parties up here in Canada: Recently, re: to deal with the virus, our dictator demanded two years of unadulterated, unfettered power over spending/taxation/borrowing, without even having to report to parliament.

Essentially, he wanted to shut down parliament. But he's a paltry 33.1 percent Prime Minister -- that's what you get in multi-party systems, in case the U.S. ever wanted to consider going that route.

Anyway, I guess we're supposed to feel lucky that our opposition parties get him to "settle" on just six months.

But can you imagine if Trump had asked for that kind of total control over Congress and the Senate? See, I'm ready to move to the U.S., in spite of Trump (I mean, why not a leaderly leader like Romney or somebody?) and in spite of the Democrats, precisely because there's always oversight and at least some way to stop such dictatorship. Canada? Forget it. Personality cult and power grabs beyond anything Yankees would ever tolerate.

They're all the same, and voting one out isn't going to magically cure our problems. It'll merely redistribute the wealth differently.

It's up to you and me and our friend and families. One good thing? A lot of the lobbyists and interest groups and other nonsense who've been on the payroll without much scrutiny in the past are going to disappear, or otherwise run for the shadows in the corner. No doubt, they'll be back, but a "reset" is always a good thing. And this event is one big reset if nothing else, telling us what's important and what's less so.

Comment

Working...
                                X