Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Effect of the Coronavirus

I hope one of those doctors who say they think they have a cure comes through soon...like in the next few months, so that maybe it's mass available this year. I can't imagine what would happen if this drags on for years.

Comment

Re: "this drags on for years"

Now that's really scary.

Re: Christmas movies -- I prefer the "features" type ala Bad Santa vs. the MOW/Hallmark types although I will watch em' if they sound interesting/different which many do not.

Comment

Originally posted by socalwriter1 View Post
        Re: "this drags on for years"

Now that's really scary.

Re: Christmas movies -- I prefer the "features" type ala Bad Santa vs. the MOW/Hallmark types although I will watch em' if they sound interesting/different which many do not.

I've actually never seen a Hallmark Christmas movie. There's just too much content out there and I can't keep up. I even liked the movies that aren't necessarily Christmas movies but are watched during Christmas or have it as a setting: It's a Wonderful life, Love Actually... is Diehard a Christmas movie? Liked the seasonal setting of Diehard. A lot of stuff I didn't actually see when they first came out, but discovered them on streaming. A lot of old classic movies that pop up as suggestions I end up seeing and thinking what a great movie.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
          But one of us is in the health industry and comes home every night and rushes to the shower before she speaks to any of us. She's exposed to the people in the nursing homes, so she's worried about herself and coming home and possibly exposing us all.

I watch Governor Cuomo's update every morning. I can't even image how any of the New York shows will even be able to restart by June-July-- it seems impossible, there's so many people getting sick.

Also, when they say "mild" symptoms, I'm pretty sure from Chris Cuomo's experience, "mild" is a euphemism for, you feel like you "might die."
          You never can tell who might be susceptible to this. It's partially age, partially underlying medical conditions, partially random genetics, and partially who knows what.

I probably cried for half an hour the other day (I'm not an crier) after hearing about Adam Schlesinger's passing. I can count on one hand the number of people I would label a 'genius' in this world, but he was one of them. To list his accomplishments in music and film and TV and Broadway would take up more space than this entire thread. And he was only 52.

Stay safe.

Comment

Press Conference

VP is looking good. Working on his guns.
            Free Script Reads and Notes

​
            ​

Comment

List of Postponed movies

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/entertainm...118aW0#image=1
              I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
                ... is Diehard a Christmas movie? Liked the seasonal setting of Diehard.

I totally consider Die Hard a Christmas film. I also consider Gremlins a Christmas movie.

I feel films shouldn't be put in a box with a label slapped on, break that box wide open.

Comment

Originally posted by Darthclaw13 View Post
                  I totally consider Die Hard a Christmas film. I also consider Gremlins a Christmas movie.

I feel films shouldn't be put in a box with a label slapped on, break that box wide open.

Forgot about Gremlins. Are Love Actually and It's a Wonderful Life Christmas movies? They seem to replay those movies every Christmas at select theaters.

Comment

As far as postponed movies, I was kind of looking forward to the Bond movie, Wonder Woman and Fast 9. The others look interesting. I also think there were some other indie movies that were supposed to come out.

Comment

Originally posted by DDoc View Post
                      ^I don't disagree with any of your points. On average most of that is probably true...

I won't paint all boomers as the same, but that generation is probably one of the most privileged and lucky (at least in the US) in the history of our species and it took ONE generation for them to **** it up for their children. I appreciate the advancements in technology and the sciences (I'm just old enough to have had to use a road map) but overall the standard of living has probably declined for us compared to boomers. You get screwed financially from every possible angle now. Everything is way more crowded. Importing millions of third worlders over the decades while simultaneously outsourcing jobs benefits some (landowners, businesses who want to suppress wages and skirt regulations) but it doesn't benefit the average citizen. I sincerely don't blame some young people for saying **** it and checking out. I wouldn't do that myself but I see where they're coming from. Perhaps their hyper-individualist parents share some of the blame.

And I'm way ahead of you on the crime prep. Go back through the thread if you'd like. I'm grateful that I have a good dad.

Edit: I was a bit hammered when I wrote this so my bad if it came across as crude. Also off topic I guess. I won't take back anything or delete it though cause then I'll look like a chicken ****. If anyone wants to talk in pms or something though I'm game.
                      Yup. They call Corona "The BOOMER REMOVER."

At age 65, with COPD and scarred lungs from two previous almost-lost battles with "the dreaded pneu-" I may soon fall under that caption, as I have so many captions before.

Yesterday's Master of the Universe, Today's Landfill....

Comment

Stay safe, Max. Probably a good idea to hunker down like Tigerfang said. My mom's basically in hospice and my old man is going through chemo so things might be a lot different when this is all over with. We were supposed to visit in a couple weeks but decided against it for fear of accidently infecting them (we don't feel sick but who knows?).

And for what it's worth I often think about what the world might be like when millennials become the Masters of the universe. It's a little concerning. Maybe this situation will help us grow up, like Jm said.

Comment

Did my best to get prepared. Masks (though not too many!). Surgical gloves (though I gave half of them away to a crippled lady 20 years older than me who lives with a daughter who still has to go to work at city hall). Stock up on medical essentials. Put off the visits to WalMart for as long as possible.

But later this month I'm supposed to drive my 91-year-old Mother to Amarillo for shots for macular degeneration. Looked on her ophthalmologist's facebook page and he doesn't seem to be doing anything to prevent crowding in the waiting area -- where we sometimes end up spending half the day.

Two hours drive back afterward. No chance to change clothes or thoroughly wash up.

If it comes to a choice between taking a chance on our lives, and my Mother's eyesight, what am I going to do?

These are the kind of stresses -- and worse, much worse -- that everybody either is facing or will have to face the next few months.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Otto Schrenck View Post
                            Did my best to get prepared. Masks (though not too many!). Surgical gloves (though I gave half of them away to a crippled lady 20 years older than me who lives with a daughter who still has to go to work at city hall). Stock up on medical essentials. Put off the visits to WalMart for as long as possible.

But later this month I'm supposed to drive my 91-year-old Mother to Amarillo for shots for macular degeneration. Looked on her ophthalmologist's facebook page and he doesn't seem to be doing anything to prevent crowding in the waiting area -- where we sometimes end up spending half the day.

Two hours drive back afterward. No chance to change clothes or thoroughly wash up.

If it comes to a choice between taking a chance on our lives, and my Mother's eyesight, what am I going to do?

These are the kind of stresses -- and worse, much worse -- that everybody either is facing or will have to face the next few months.
                            I have an 84-year-old mother so I understand your anxiety. But to be blunt: your mother won't need her eyesight if she's dead from Covid-19.

Take charge of the appointment situation. Call the doctor's office and say you will call when you arrive outside the building and you want them to call you on your cellphone when they are ready to see you. Ask to be admitted through a back door so you don't have to walk your elderly mother through the waiting room. Better yet, have the doctor give her whatever shots she needs in your car. She should have a mask on; so should you; so should the doctor. Bring hand sanitizer. Use it immediately after your appointment. People are very understanding about the susceptibility of the elderly to infectious diseases. Just speak up. They will do their best to accommodate you. If they won't, don't risk it. You only have one mother and one life.

No offense intended whatsoever, but milk toast is one dish that shouldn't appear on the menu during a f-ing pandemic.

Take care of yourself. Take care of Mom.

All the best to you out there in Cadillac Ranch country.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Otto Schrenck View Post
                              Yup. They call Corona "The BOOMER REMOVER."...
                              I was told by one of my teachers never to use "they" in my logic - that it's a cheap way to avoid quoting actual sources and that it perpetuates stupid idioms. I'm not picking on ya'; I'd not seen or heard this one, but in a quick check I see that this particular phrase is indeed floating around the Internet.

Obviously, we're talking about a virus, not something with a perverted sense of justice. Besides, the same thing might be said about cancer, or heart disease, or heck old age itself.

However, it's just another in a long line of ludicrous idioms that get invented and perpetuated for people to retweet or whatever, even long before Twitter and social media was around.

I'm old enough (a late boomer, actually who ofttimes resented those who were 5-10 years older as having gotten in on more of the gravy) to remember the early 80s, when "they" said "we're straight so have no reason to worry about HIV."

Young people and COVID-19

Comment

"But to be blunt: your mother won't need her eyesight if she's dead from Covid-19."

Yeah. Like my Mother says, "Better my sight than YOUR LIFE."

We have about two and a half weeks to organize a plan, if a plan is possible. I don't think there's any approach we can come up with on our own, without major input from the doctors' shoppe. There are no back doors that I'm aware of at this place. It's like a medical factory. You go through an atrium-style lobby, sign in, wait, get called to one of three waiting areas, wait, go in, have your eyes dilated, go to another waiting area, wait, go get tested and sent to the last waiting room where you wait one last time to have your appointment arranged for the following week, in which further tests may or may not occur before the final shot.

The shot, incidentally, is nowhere near as bad as one might think. It's over in seconds with some possible visual after-effects (a single distracting floater has occurred a couple of times, in the thirty or so shots she's gotten) but no pain.

So what to do? A good seventy five to eighty per cent of the other patients are elderly -- over sixty-five. Are they all going to take a chance coming in? When the flu was in the area, sometimes the place would be half empty. How about now? What is the place even doing open, with local cases surging past triple digits and the first deaths being reported?

Dunno. Facebook ain't talking, and the medical outfit I'm speaking of hasn't given us a heads-up on the phone or by e-mail, to reassure us.

Looks like we may roll the dice on the fate of her eyes for a couple of months, and hope she doesn't fall that far behind....
                                Last edited by Max Otto Schrenck; 04-05-2020, 12:11 PM. Reason: Because, that's why

Comment

Working...
                                X