No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Effect of the Coronavirus

Originally posted by Darthclaw13 View Post
    ...Maybe what they should do when they reopen is with each ticket purchase you get a face mask to wear when inside the building.
    Not the same thing, obviously, but I remember in about 1967 going into a second-run release of "Dracula: Prince of Darkness", where they handed out phony cardboard cut-out upper fanged dentures. So we kids were all sitting in the dark with these stupid fangs in our mouths, as Drac got resurrected for the first of what was going to become about 15 times.

Talk about blood borne illness.

I was only 10-11, and how I and my pals were allowed into this flick, especially at this scene:

Gory throat-slitting scene, decades before it was done in Let The Right One In

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
      For one, I’d like to see Saturday Night Live get some skits together through Zoom or any other way. Maybe individual cast memebrs could use their iPhones and cobble together a history of epidemics and how each of those generations walked uphill both ways to endure them. Let them make their own costumes from whatever they have available—duct tape, foil, newspaper; it could be funny. I miss their show.
      SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE to Air New (Remotely Produced) Episode

'Saturday Night Live' is producing new original content remotely this weekend
      “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
        They're about to test this new drug that keeps the corona from attaching to people's lungs. Cross your fingers.
        Which drug are you talking about? They're testing many drugs at this time. Can you provide more information?

Are you talking about the 100 year old vaccine they were speaking about this morning? The one for tuberculosis?
        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Maybe what they should do when they reopen is with each ticket purchase you get a face mask to wear when inside the building.
          Masks would come off PDQ to get a mouthful of popcorn!

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
            Which drug are you talking about? They're testing many drugs at this time. Can you provide more information?

Are you talking about the 100 year old vaccine they were speaking about this morning? The one for tuberculosis?

The reporter rattled something "dd" with a bunch of numbers... I didn't really catch it. But, if I see it on the news again, I'll report back. This one sounded different. It's new. It has something to do with it making the virus unable to attach to the lungs. There seems to be many different proposed drugs that are attacking it in different ways. Some approach it by trying to help a person develop antibodies. Others try to help suppress the immune system from going into overdrive. Obviously a drug that's capable of rendering the virus unable to attach will be very helpful. We'll see.

Comment

I am hoping for packed theaters when they reopen. I saw a poll recently that stated that when asked when theaters reopen would people go back, 20% said they would go back immediately, 60% said they would wait a few weeks before going back, and 20% said they would wait a few months.

Maybe what they should do when they reopen is with each ticket purchase you get a face mask to wear when inside the building.

There's always a sector of the population that will be unconcerned and go right away. You saw those srping breakers, surfers, hiking trail people, and even families congregating despite all the warnings, so they'll probably still show up. I am sure when there's a vaccine, the theaters will be packed. People will need a release valve to go out and they'll want to flood the movie theater, amusement parks and restaurants...if they are still around.

Comment

This is an interesting read. I've been wondering if they might have to quarantine the entire production. If other countries can't or aren't willing to open their borders seem more production might be done stateside. It might also make sense to have production set in states less populated.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...r_breakingnews

Anyone hearing anything?
                Last edited by finalact4; 05-10-2020, 08:51 PM.
                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                  This is an interesting read. I've been wondering if they might have to quarantine the entire production. If other countries can't or aren't willing to open their boarders seem more production might be done stateside. It might also make sense to have production set in states less populated.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...r_breakingnews

Anyone hearing anyting?

I saw on the news they are trying to figure out how to social distance on set if they resume. So maybe love scenes are out or altered... Not sure how that works, since movies and TV involve people interacting with each other. Also, each production, there are tons of people on set who come in close quarters.

Comment

Also, I hope AMC and Universal squash their beef. The theatrical business is already pretty volatile with all that's going on. Don't need another war.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
                      Anyone got a good pandemic script...
                      Yeah... COVID-19: The Widowmaker
                      Last edited by Clint Hill; 05-10-2020, 05:38 PM.

Comment

blumhouse-plans-film-shoot-universal-lot-insurance-risks-1294936

I am really pushing my one-character psych-horror these days

Comment

Bet we see a ton of animation scripts soon.

Comment

Catcon, are you querying these days? If yes, any responses? Still deciding when's a good time to start again myself.

According to the latest deals on the homepage, there appears to be quite a few transactions taking place so some execs are busy... Will, spotting any trends on what's selling?

Comment

Originally posted by socalwriter1 View Post
                              Catcon, are you querying these days? If yes, any responses? Still deciding when's a good time to start again myself...
                              Not really plain pitches, no. Very few. But, I started a thread about "social commentary disguised as genre", or vice versa? My recent reads are coming from pitches disguised as something else. Such as LinkedIn connection requests, some introductory reach-outs via the DDPro producer list, IMDBpro, contacts found elsewhere, and some not contacted in years, etc. You really have to find out what they want or are looking for, and hopefully have something ready to fit the bill.

But there's no getting around it: I'm not talking major players here. Also, at one point last May or June I had 13 reads going on of about 9 different scripts. I hadn't anything like that since my second or third year of writing! But nothing of that level is happening now. (Still, you only need one, to kick start everything!)

My efforts consist of polishing (always a worthy activity) 1-2 scripts per week, and doing creative pitching/relationship building, as above. I have no time to write anything fresh, but of course that is always a worthwhile activity if you have a great idea for a new concept.

The thing is, from the responses I'm get, it seems like producers are using this time to reduce their reading piles and to prioritize development tasks that they may have already signed up for. It makes sense that no one is just sitting on their hands, especially if they have impending option expiry dates.

For what it's worth, I notice that our friendly old VPF (Virtual Pitchfest) hasn't had one of its sales on in over a week: You know, like 7 pitches for the price of 5?

For as long as I've monitored that service, he's had 2-3 'specials' a week. I don't know what this lack thereof means. Is he selling enough paid packages that he doesn't need to have promotions? Is the service dead in the water right now, because nobody's 'reading' or wants to receive queries? Remember, his selling point is that if his pros don't respond in a week, the writer automatically gets a replacement pitch. He won't make money that way.

I do know that just recently at least one of his LONG-time and more prominent pros has dropped off the system completely. Yet, I know that the company hasn't stopped business - I'd expect they're just getting caught up on all their existing reading/early development, and don't need new pitches (of which I'm sure they got lots, regularly, via VPF).

This is certainly an interesting time, but those who don't do anything will only fall further behind the competition. It's a business basic: The worst thing you can do in a slowdown is sit around and wait for things to get better. I've never been busier, myself, though I'm not overrun with responses so don't know if I have the answer, or jut one answer, or only part of an answer.

Okay... back to work with me...

PS. As for DDocs remark about animation "scripts", I take that to mean animation "film" and, yes, it's certainly easier to collaborate remotely and complete animation films as opposed to live action films. The only question is, since animation features by the big guys are destined for wide release too, they have to decide how to do it now without that theatrical income. Nice problem to have, if you have it.

Comment

[QUOTE (Still, you only need one, to kick start everything!)

How true!

Comment

Working...
                                X