Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Effect of the Coronavirus

Things are calm here in rural North Carolina. Last night I took on the shopping duties, as the wife has asthma, and although the store was crowded we all got along. I have not heard about any locals rushing out to purchase a firearm, most likely because most already have more than they can use.
    I did hear a stupid rumor about Budweiser being helpful in warding off the problem. You would have to be pretty dumb to believe that.
    But in these times, do we really want to take a chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
      Will this slow down during the summer? It's pretty devastating. People can't even go out, socialize, or do normal things. I don't know how the economy will hold up. And I am sure some people can't hold out forever financially, especially for those in the service industry that have to deal with people.
      Didn't see this post before, but the question of whether the Covid-19 virus will abate during the summer, as seasonal flu does, is still undetermined, according to the medical people I know. I realize this idea is now being pitched to the public by the powers-that-be in an understandable effort to keep them calm, and it that may come to pass, but there is no guarantee. Although heat has been a factor in restraining the growth of other viruses, Covid-19 seems to be spreading throughout Africa and other areas where the temperatures are well above the 56 degrees that has killed similar viruses in the past. Time will tell.

Comment

Like this octopus, I’m withdrawing from society and going into seclusion. Going off to to find my “voice.” Using the time to write and enter contests (first time out). Deadlines dead ahead. Tick tock. Best wishes to everyone. -30-
        Last edited by Clint Hill; 03-17-2020, 07:13 PM.
        “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by jmpowell7 View Post
          Things are calm here in rural North Carolina. Last night I took on the shopping duties, as the wife has asthma, and although the store was crowded we all got along. I have not heard about any locals rushing out to purchase a firearm, most likely because most already have more than they can use.
          I did hear a stupid rumor about Budweiser being helpful in warding off the problem. You would have to be pretty dumb to believe that.
          But in these times, do we really want to take a chance?

Mostly calm here too in Colorado. I have asthma as well so I have been taking advantage of the "order online and pick up outside" service at the grocery store. Less interaction with people that way. But when I get there I only get about half of what I ordered because they run out of things daily. (luckily they refund what you don't get)

Last time I was told by the store employee that some lady got attacked in another store by the customers because she shoved an older lady out of her way and the other customers who saw this ganged up on her and beat the snoodles out of her and she ended up in hospital.

I also read in another state that someone got stabbed at a walmart over a bottle of water.

The "hairless apes" (humans) are showing their true natures unfortunately. I have read in the past that humans are just a few meals away from complete and total anarchy.

Hopefully we can all just hold onto our sanity until this passes. It will pass...China has already started opening up their theaters and restaurants and they got it the worst so there is hope.

Comment

The news showed a man who had the Covid 19, but refused to self quarantine. Finally, the governor had to order some armed deputies to make sure he doesn't get out of the house. And some Nashville restaurants refused to close. Some people still wanted to party or enjoy themselves at the risk of everyone else.

South Korea was way more aggressive in their mitigation efforts, so they didn't quite have the spike in numbers as the European countries like Italy. I hope the US takes this thing very seriously. They really could have done more a lot earlier, like in January or even December.

Comment

South Korea was way more aggressive in their mitigation efforts, so they didn't quite have the spike in numbers as the European countries like Italy. I hope the US takes this thing very seriously. They really could have done more a lot earlier, like in January or even December.

Hello, newbie here: A Texan in Prague. I agree, it seems aggressive steps do work. We are not out the woods yet But it appears the measures have slowed down the rate of infection.

It is strange, it feels like the Ghost of Stalin is running amuck with martial law but really it is the Czechs and their outstanding beer heritage feeling disrespected by foreign-ass Corona!
              "I am an action-figure trying to scratch some things."

Comment

Man, I'm just looking to score some toilet paper.
                PuppyTummy.com

Comment

Originally posted by iknownuffin View Post
                  Man, I'm just looking to score some toilet paper.

I am already eyeing old t-shirts in case of shortages or the possible violence in procuring... Real shite.

Comment

Originally posted by The WayWard Uncle View Post
                    Hello, newbie here: A Texan in Prague. I agree, it seems aggressive steps do work. We are not out the woods yet But it appears the measures have slowed down the rate of infection.

It is strange, it feels like the Ghost of Stalin is running amuck with martial law but really it is the Czechs and their outstanding beer heritage feeling disrespected by foreign-ass Corona!

The countries that have been more aggressive seem to have been able to slow down the virus.

I don't know what's the people's deal with toilet paper. You see soaps still there, but somehow people ares stocking up so they can wipe themselves for 2 years.

Comment

You see soaps still there, but somehow people ares stocking up so they can wipe themselves for 2 years.

I was in the shop yesterday and yes, all toilet paper was gone but there were kitchen towels. Bounty was in full effect, But for some reason all the tooth-paste was gone. Is tooth-paste hoarding happening CONUS? I found it kind of odd. In lieu of Lysol bust the Colgate instead or what?

Comment

just for comparison the New Zealand experience of the 1918 "Spanish Flu"

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...black-november
                        I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The WayWard Uncle View Post
                          I was in the shop yesterday and yes, all toilet paper was gone but there were kitchen towels. Bounty was in full effect, But for some reason all the tooth-paste was gone. Is tooth-paste hoarding happening CONUS? I found it kind of odd. In lieu of Lysol bust the Colgate instead or what?

Not sure about tooth paste, but a psychologist said that maybe toilet paper buying is comforting. People have latched on to buying toilet paper. You will see the soaps are pretty well stocked.

Comment

Not sure about tooth paste, but a psychologist said that maybe toilet paper buying is comforting. People have latched on to buying toilet paper. You will see the soaps are pretty well stocked.

Shelves look like everyone is staying dirty But yes, there is Nothing like squeezing the Charmin...

Comment

For lowly Canadians on this board, another reason to be in a funk is what's happened to our miserable dollar, compared to the Yankee Greenback:

Today, it's barely 0.67 to the USD. Several years ago, we were at par.

Yep, like everyone else America needs to be careful about COVID-19, but it's still the world's leading economy against which everyone else's is compared.

Anyway, this means, for simple purchases such as these that might keep Canadians occupied as we self-quarantine, it's well-nigh impossible for low incomers such as myself (retired) to engage. Thus my reliance on plain old queries, if I want to reach out:

Nicholl entry: $48 would have cost me $71.28 (out of range, this year)
                              US Copyright (just went up): $65 would cost me $95.53
                              IMDBpro: $149.99, which would be way out of my league at $222.75
                              InkTip Newsletter: $60 would cost $85.11 (had to drop my subscription)
                              VPF: $20 pitch package would cost me $29.70

The VPF owner refuses to give me a 'freebie', even when he has specials on his other packages.

The worst news, the CDN dollar has been on a titanic slide for the last week, and every time I check the value to see if things are looking up, I only see that it's worse. This isn't the way to push some sort of 'buy Canadian' incentive!

Oh well, having said all of this, I still think that there's way too much general 'fear' being spread about current events, and not enough about 'coping'. Time to revisit FDR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amNpxQANk0M

Comment

When they say we are 10 days behind, this is what our next 10 days might well look like...
                                date....cases.......daily increase

3/8 7375..............................................Today 3/18 USA 7687 cases
                                ......................> 1817
                                3/9 9192
                                ......................> 957
                                3/10 10,149
                                .....................> 2313
                                3/11 12,462
                                .....................> 2651
                                3/12 15,113
                                .....................> 2547
                                3/13 17,660
                                .....................> 3497
                                3/14 21,157
                                .....................> 3590
                                3/15 24,747
                                .....................> 3233
                                3/16 27,980
                                .....................> 3526
                                3/17 31,506
                                .....................> 4207
                                3/18 35,713

An increase of 28,338 new cases in 10 days. The infection rate has doubled from the first date to the 10th. The next 10 days Italy could be at 70,000 cases, which it took CHINA exactly 9 days to go from 35,000 to 70,000+ before they totally shut down the country. I don't actually know what that date was...

Italy's population is about 66 million. We are more than 300 million. it's entirely possible for us to have days where there are 20k new cases in a day. I don't know why some people aren't taking this more seriously.

Do you see the pattern? The exponential increase? That's in a country that is in total lockdown.

The reason China has been able to almost stop new cases is because they had a "no threshold" policy in the affected region. That means that no citizen could cross outside their own home's threshold.

Their new cases are being blamed on travelers from outside the country, so beginning today, China will have a mandatory 14 day quarantine on anyone entering the country.

Why are spring break idiots gathering on beaches? Today we hear that the young are at greater risk than previously thought. A part of me wonders if they aren't saying that just to get these idiots to start taking this pandemic seriously.

19 days to go from 7600 to 70,000.
                                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                                X