No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Effect of the Coronavirus

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
    We had a virologist on the radio saying the transmission rate for the flu is 1.4 so after ten "generations" the possible infected number is about 15, the COVID19 the transmission rate is 3, which equates to a tenth generation of about 54000. So yeah every person holed up and not transmitting is a step to preventing this super spread is vital, especially at the early stages. I'm not a supporter of our prime minister but she's done the right thing and had enough guts to stare down the business's who intended on keeping trading throughout this mess

I wish the U.S. had treated it seriously like South Korea. They test aggressively; have available masks for everyone; quarantine everyone; check temperatures; have an app communication to alert people. It's scattershot here in the US. The LA mayor is doing some good things, but this will not work if all the other states are doing their own thing. The President should have aggressively shut down the borders temporarily around January when they had briefings that it was going to hit. Now, it's trying to contain a virus that's super contagious.

I was never that scared of the flu, since I can't even remember getting that many colds. But, this corona virus thing, I feel guilty going out because I don't want to be responsible for other people's health, including my loved ones. I am just wondering when this nightmare will end. Our lives are literally on pause.

Comment

The silver lining to be gleaned from this experience, if there is one, is that it's a fine time to hole up in every writer's real or abstract "Bat Cave- to craft some new projects or re-tool some old ones.
      “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Yep, polish polish polish. And if you're like me (my own biggest fan, since nobody else is), it's invigorating and even a bit life-affirming to evaluate some of these older scripts, to remember all the research and prep involved, and consider how they can and should be re-marketed today after (in some cases) years of inactivity on the shelf.

I usually polish annually anyway, but I've been putting off one especially big job on my 5-part low-budget Harry Potter type of series (it's different, but similar to HP, at about 1/10th the budget). So I'm into it now, on part 2 of 5, and man, am I happy to be refreshing it/reacquainting myself with it.

I'm sure we all have some oldies that we believe never quite got their fair share of attention. Go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
          I wish the U.S. had treated it seriously like South Korea. They test aggressively; have available masks for everyone; quarantine everyone; check temperatures; have an app communication to alert people. It's scattershot here in the US. The LA mayor is doing some good things, but this will not work if all the other states are doing their own thing. The President should have aggressively shut down the borders temporarily around January when they had briefings that it was going to hit. Now, it's trying to contain a virus that's super contagious.

I was never that scared of the flu, since I can't even remember getting that many colds. But, this corona virus thing, I feel guilty going out because I don't want to be responsible for other people's health, including my loved ones. I am just wondering when this nightmare will end. Our lives are literally on pause.
          I know some people here don't want to play the blame game, but in moments like this where the country's welfare is at stake, the President of the United States is supposed to step up to the plate and be responsible.

This particular asswipe hasn't done none of that with his ego and xenophobic animosity towards “the others” in his way. You can't put a “travel ban” on a pandemic virus (sounds like something out of a bad Saturday morning cartoon) because tourists move from place to place, country to country. You can't bargain with the virus, insult it or downplay it like the aforementioned asswipe did. https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/...612572162?s=19

It also doesn't help he let go of the pandemic response team at the CDC two years ago. https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-f...-idUSKBN21C32M

So, yeah. Life has stood still. I don't know when I'll get back to work as an background extra (I'm in the union). I can get freelance writing work, but it's touch and go. My elderly parents are currently healthy, but that CAN change. My nephew has to stay home from school and gets his education via a laptop. We have no clue when life will get back to normal (later than sooner is better), but what I do know is that four more years of authoritarian, bullying incompetence is no good and will rot this country's core even more.

Thankfully, my governor, Andrew Cuomo of New York State, is acting like an adult during this crisis. Other state governors are being adults. More of them should. We need that kind of attitude, not immature, cosmetic shallowness. As much as I, a black man, understand the historical importance of Barack Obama (voted from him twice), I terribly despise that he was treated more like a celebrity than less like a politician. That's the most prevalent reason why we have an abomination in the Oval Office. We have to learn from this. “Never forget” was the motto after the Sept. 11 attacks (my dad retired from the FDNY two years earlier) but it's sad that not enough people learned from it. Let's not do the same with this moment.

Take care.
          Last edited by Done Deal Pro; 03-27-2020, 05:35 AM. Reason: Fixed spacing of paragraphs.
          "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

This isn't a good time to be a politician.

The experts and medical people, yes, but no one who's at the top rung of political power is going to come out of this well. Only those in opposition will, because they can complain bitterly about incompetence at the top, without ever having to actually do anything about it. But even that is going to wear thin quickly, as we common-folk realize that even those pols are saying under their breath: "There but for the grace of God (the luck of the last election) go I".

This thing started you-know-where and you-know-how: To keep their masses pacified, the Chinese dictatorship turned a blind eye to those wretched 'wet markets'. For all the blame the Developed World takes for the current chaos, compare the Chinese approach to all the regulations and controls that we put on our agriculture. It'd never happen here, or would be contained almost immediately.

So in our part of the world, we're now taking a bruising, but nobody's to 'blame'. The worst (at least to this point) was unpreventable, given our open societies that we all cherish.

The only truly heinous actions things I hear now are continued calls for the fight against climate change at-all-costs, people in well-paid fields (CEOs AND union workers) demanding raises while this is happening (we in Canada strikes going on, who are now back on the full payroll to 'stay off work'), and when politicos continue their stupid leadership races (Dems down there, Conservatives up here - though the latter has finally postponed theirs).

Like anybody cares.

Meanwhile, with all the money being tossed around (all of it borrowed against tomorrow's generations) to help people stay off work, rarely do we hear anything about some, any, sort of danger-pay for those poor folks (hospitals, grocery stores, fast-food deliverers, not to mention those manning our utilities including our precious internet ISPs, ) who MUST continue to work... while we sit in abject misery at home, stuffing our faces, watching endless streaming movies, and not being able to 'go out' among crowds when we're bored.

It's sad, sad, sad.

The 'Greatest Generation' was called that for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
              I know some people here don't want to play the blame game, but in moments like this where the country's welfare is at stake, the President of the United States is supposed to step up to the plate and be responsible.

This particular asswipe hasn't done none of that with his ego and xenophobic animosity towards "the others- in his way. You can't put a "travel ban- on a pandemic virus (sounds like something out of a bad Saturday morning cartoon) because tourists move from place to place, country to country. You can't bargain with the virus, insult it or downplay it like the aforementioned asswipe did. https://twitter.com/joncoopertweets/...612572162?s=19

It also doesn't help he let go of the pandemic response team at the CDC two years ago. https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-f...-idUSKBN21C32M

So, yeah. Life has stood still. I don't know when I'll get back to work as an background extra (I'm in the union). I can get freelance writing work, but it's touch and go. My elderly parents are currently healthy, but that CAN change. My nephew has to stay home from school and gets his education via a laptop. We have no clue when life will get back to normal (later than sooner is better), but what I do know is that four more years of authoritarian, bullying incompetence is no good and will rot this country's core even more.

Thankfully, my governor, Andrew Cuomo of New York State, is acting like an adult during this crisis. Other state governors are being adults. More of them should. We need that kind of attitude, not immature, cosmetic shallowness. As much as I, a black man, understand the historical importance of Barack Obama (voted from him twice), I terribly despise that he was treated more like a celebrity than less like a politician. That's the most prevalent reason why we have an abomination in the Oval Office. We have to learn from this. "Never forget- was the motto after the Sept. 11 attacks (my dad retired from the FDNY two years earlier) but it's sad that not enough people learned from it. Let's not do the same with this moment.

Take care.

Agreed. Federal response would have been great in January when all the secret briefings said that it was going to hit the US. Instead, the Prez, with his ego, was more concerned about how it reflected on him. We, all can see the countries that handled the problem well and the ones that didn't. South Korea was on it from the start. I don't know how a country that is way less wealthy than the US, with way less political power can have ready masks for its population, testing to isolate the problem from the get go, and a response that slowed down new cases. While, governors are begging the federal government to give them basic things. If we're being frank, the U.S. is chaotic. Some cities and states are doing good things, others are not. So, the problem is not controlled. You can't have one section do the right things and another not. This is especially rough on people in the service and entertainment industry that requires interacting with people.

Comment

A brief lesson in writing impactful dialogue in these troubled times.

I had to scroll down the comments where people were deciphering some of it. "I'll knock yer father out in fronta ya" was quite hilarious.

https://twitter.com/Rubberbandits/st...94193630191618

Stay safe, everyone. Wash your hands.

Comment

Agreed. Federal response would have been great in January when all the secret briefings said that it was going to hit the US. Instead, the Prez, with his ego, was more concerned about how it reflected on him. We, all can see the countries that handled the problem well and the ones that didn't. South Korea was on it from the start. I don't know how a country that is way less wealthy than the US, with way less political power can have ready masks for its population, testing to isolate the problem from the get go, and a response that slowed down new cases. While, governors are begging the federal government to give them basic things. If we're being frank, the U.S. is chaotic. Some cities and states are doing good things, others are not. So, the problem is not controlled. You can't have one section do the right things and another not. This is especially rough on people in the service and entertainment industry that requires interacting with people.
                  Well, this is what happens when you elect a dumbf*ck game show host for president. Hopefully, it teaches us a lesson, but I doubt it.

Comment

Same kind of warning for us in Canada, electing a black-facing ex-bouncer born on Christmas Day who thinks he deserves the world. Don't get me into it... we've been stuck with him a year longer than the Yanks have with el Trumpo.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
                      Well, this is what happens when you elect a dumbf*ck game show host for president. Hopefully, it teaches us a lesson, but I doubt it.

It makes me anxious whenever they hand him important stuff to handle--national security, pandemic, etc. It's like handing the controls of a jet airplane to someone who doesn't know what they're doing and is too arrogant to admit it. Unfortunately, people do not seem to learn from history. These types of divisive figures have continually been elevated to positions they are not qualified for throughout history.

Comment

It makes me anxious whenever they hand him important stuff to handle--national security, pandemic, etc. It's like handing the controls of a jet airplane to someone who doesn't know what they're doing and is too arrogant to admit it. Unfortunately, people do not seem to learn from history. These types of divisive figures have continually been elevated to positions they are not qualified for throughout history.
                        In Texas they have a saying for this: "All hat and no cattle,- in other words, all "bluff and bluster.- That about sums it up.

Comment

For some reason, an ice-cream truck with its annoying music loop cruises our neighborhood the last few days. Why? It's non-essential, so by my reckoning, it ought to be "locked down.- People come out of their homes to buy from it, too. I've dubbed it "The COVID-19 Truck.-

Comment

I'd crawl over broken glass for President Palin right now ffs

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post

Time will tell, but I think, if the death toll goes up unfortunately, the people who voted for the dumbf*ck game show host will find either themselves in a hospital bed or learn their loved ones and/or friends died in one, and they'll learn the hard way.

One of my favorite movies, "A Face In The Crowd" is sadly prophetic. Andy Griffth (yeah, THAT Andy Griffth) plays a guitar-playing hobo who get plucked by an Arkansas radio show producer (Patricia Neal) and becomes a media sensation, but later a political demagouge. Here's the trailer: https://youtu.be/9lrmxkF-UKM

You can see the film on YouTube or DVD. Recently, the Criterion Collection gave it the "special edition" treatment and there's an accompanying essay written by April Wolfe that's very telling at the end. https://www.criterion.com/current/po...ican-character
                              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

I watched A Face in the Crowd like five years ago. It was really good. I watched it for a reason, but I can't remember it now.

Comment

Working...
                                X