No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE BUTLER #1 Movie (3rd Weekend)

http://www.craveonline.com/film/inte...els-the-butler

Wasn't sure if the thread should be here in this forum or in articles. Since it's regarding a specific script I posted it here.

I haven't read the script, but its development and the writing are covered pretty nicely in this article.
    Last edited by Ire; 08-23-2013, 08:30 PM.
    #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Re: The Butler - An Interview With Danny Strong

This is great. Thanks for posting.

Comment

THE BUTLER #1 Movie (3rd Weekend)

The director, Lee Daniels, went to Amy Pascal to get financing for The Butler; but was told by her that if he were Jewish, and this movie was about the Holocaust -- no problem. Well, it looks like Amy has got mud on her face. I think The Butler will get a Best Picture nomination, as well a Best Actor for Forest Whittaker; as well as Best Actress nomination for Oprah Winfrey. Also, Lee Daniels will be nominated for Best Director.

BTW, a Black woman multimillionaire, Sheila Johnson; as well as a Russian billionaire, Len Blavatnik....put up the bulk of the negative cost for the flick.
      Last edited by Kid Rasta; 09-02-2013, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Re: THE BUTLER #1 Movie (3rd Weekend)

That's odd. I read some articles that said Amy Pascal loved the project and brought the rights to Laura Ziskin -- and Lee Daniels had nothing but praise for Amy Pascal.

Comment

Originally posted by Pasquali56 View Post
          That's odd. I read some articles that said Amy Pascal loved the project and brought the rights to Laura Ziskin -- and Lee Daniels had nothing but praise for Amy Pascal.
          In an interview, Lee stated that he tried to get financing from a studio...but, no dice. If Amy Pascal was so high on it, then why didn't Sony finance & distribute it???

Furthermore, if you look into the financing of the flick, you will see that it was financed independently. The Weinstein Co is the marketer/distributor.

Comment

Is that the same interview where Amy Pascal told him that if he were Jewish and it was a story about the Holocaust she would have made it? Could you provide a link to that interview? I'd really like to read it.

Comment

Something else I should mention regarding your post, Rasta. What you said about Amy Pascal's statement to Lee Daniels implies that she is basically pro-Jewish and anti-black in the way she selects material. Again, I would really like to see the link to that interview with Lee Daniels.

Also, the Russian you mentioned is Jewish, as is Harvey Weinstein. Producer Laura Ziskin, who sadly passed away, was also Jewish.

Something else you should consider is that Jews were important players right beside blacks as Freedom Riders -- as well as through the entire civil rights movement.

Assuming you watched the movie closely, you'd have seen that the real antagonists were the bigots in the deep south in addition to bigots in the White House -- including the head of White House operations who never wanted to give black employees equal pay. And he wasn't Jewish.

Comment

Thank you, Pasquali 56!

And now could we focus on a discussion of this very powerful and moving film? I was personally blown away. And since I just saw it today -- three weeks into the run -- I was heartened to see the theater full. May The Butler have a long and lucrative run, and be recognized at awards time.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Working...
                X