So I'm pretty sure I'm firing my manager...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm pretty sure I'm firing my manager...

... and I feel pretty sick to my stomach. I HATE confrontation, but I've pretty much already made my decision. I just can't bring myself to pick up the phone to do it. Any advice/pep talks for mustering up the courage to do this from those that have been down this road before?

Re: So I'm pretty sure I'm firing my manager...

Don't do it over email. Do it over the phone. Be honest as to why you're doing it, wish 'em luck, and move on. Everybody involved will get over it.
    "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Originally posted by Writer7 View Post
      ... and I feel pretty sick to my stomach. I HATE confrontation, but I've pretty much already made my decision. I just can't bring myself to pick up the phone to do it. Any advice/pep talks for mustering up the courage to do this from those that have been down this road before?
      If you've made the decision, bite the bullet and get it over with. Move on.

Comment

I've often wondered about this...

Since a lot of managers use contracts that guarantee them a portion of your income, would it be wise to get the termination of the working relationship in writing?

Yes, it's a dick move to dump someone over email, but is the paper-trail useful?

Just curious.

Comment

Doing it over the phone is the right thing, calling you now

Kidding, but, yes, do the right thing the right way. They will be fine with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunker View Post
            I've often wondered about this...

Since a lot of managers use contracts that guarantee them a portion of your income, would it be wise to get the termination of the working relationship in writing?

Yes, it's a dick move to dump someone over email, but is the paper-trail useful?

Just curious.
            You follow up by email.

Comment

Thanks so much everyone... gonna go ahead and bite the bullet

Comment

I love confrontation, I wish I could fire him for you.

In all seriousness best of luck. What made you come to this decision?

Comment

Today's Scriptnotes podcast touches upon the subject of firing your rep. Some good tips there if you need any.

Comment

Do you have another one lined up?
                    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

I terminated the relationship with my previous managers with a cold email, returning them the courtesy of not connecting with me on the phone again, despite prompting them otherwise on several occasions, since the day we shook hands.

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

I fired my manager with an email. Only because he wouldn't return my calls. Which is why I was firing him.

Comment

@Lauri - Its a small town (everyone knows each other) and I have some credits in which it'd be easy to look me up and see who I'm repped by. To avoid any messiness, I'd rather just make a clean break before looking.
                          @Connor - Trust me, lots of factors...
                          @Robert - Thanks, I've already checked it out, plus this board has lots of good info.

Again -- thanks for all the tips everyone. Much appreciated.

Comment

Good luck out there writer 7.
                            Twitter @CameronAlxander

Comment

To avoid any messiness, I'd rather just make a clean break before looking.
                              For me that's the best approach. Good luck.

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

Working...
                              X