Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex Machina

I thought it was really good. Kind of slow, but I was kept intrigued throughout and even surprised by the ending.

Re: Ex Machina

I kept thinking of unexpected things that would happen that didn't happen. For a "thinkie" it seemed to expect us not to think too hard about what might happen next.

I really liked the story of the black and white world and color world... and then the INT is monochrome and the EXT is luxurious color.

Bill
    Free Script Tips:
    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Is it worth going to see in the movies or waiting for Netflix?
      One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
        In the movies. Really rather liked it. Amazing, what one could do without spending millions on CGI, explosions, etc. One of the better ones I've seen lately.

Comment

Enjoyed it.

Good weekday daytime movie catch. No need to see it with a crowd to distract.

Essentially an update of FRANKENSTEIN themes with A.I.
          "I talked to a couple of yes men at Metro. To me they said no."

http://wagstaffnet.blogspot.com/

Comment

Pretty strong. Really a slow boiler and surprisingly spare, which makes the rare comedic or shocking scenes really that much stronger. A very manipulative film that so much as announces it's pulling a shell game (the sexy magician's assistant) but manages to pull it in a way that will take most of the audience in, since it plays on what you expect from characters in film and the ways they behave related to where they're supposed to end up.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
              I kept thinking of unexpected things that would happen that didn't happen. For a "thinkie" it seemed to expect us not to think too hard about what might happen next.
              Yes! I was thinking the exact same thing too.

SPOLIER

When the power went out the first time, and she said not to trust him, I thought it was setting up some amazing, sinister twist -- nope.

In the end, it would have been more memorable if the writer pulled a Shyamalan and Caleb was a robot. His memories being implanted the day he "arrived on a helicopter." And then at the end, Nathan would say something like: "The only way to know for sure an AI is conscious is if it believes it's a human being."

BTW. Caleb only has computer smarts. If he knew more about physics or mechanics, he'd know to use the razor to carve a circle in the safety glass, THEN smash it open with the chair. (I'm a real-life MacGyver).
              I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by Juno Styles View Post
                Theater, if only to support ambitious low budget filmmaking.

Interesting film!

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                  SPOilER
                  In the end, it would have been more memorable if the writer pulled a Shyamalan and Caleb was a robot. His memories being implanted the day he "arrived on a helicopter." And then at the end, Nathan would say something like: "The only way to know for sure an AI is conscious is if it believes it's a human being."
                  I had the same feeling while watching the movie. I was expecting a twist or something. Strange. But I thought it would be cool if Nathan was the robot. Ava fails the turing test and at the helicopter landing area, Nathan and Caleb talk about the failure. Then just as the helicopter appears and is about to land, Nathan turns to Caleb and says, "What about me? Did I pass?"

Comment

I'm late to the party here...

Just saw this last week - LOVED it!

Very thought provoking and well done.

Like an homage to a few different things, Blade Runner, 2001: A Space Odyssey, etc.

Really good.
                    "Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Comment

Saw it on VOD last night and really enjoyed it.

I think that we're trained to look for shocking twists in a movie like this. But I think that's besides the point. It gives you a lot to think about anyway. We don't need anything like one of the two guys is a robot. It's enough that its a movie exploring what it means to be human, sexuality, relationships. And also what it means to be a woman and man in today's society. I think any kind of twist ending would've cheapened it. But that's just me.

One thing I thought was a bit of a plot hole was for how smart and well prepared Nathan was, I would imagine he'd have some sort of kill switch installed in Ava in case she got out of control. My gf said maybe that was his arrogance which is a good point. But just a minor speedbump in an otherwise entertainment and more importantly, ORIGINAL scifi movie.

Comment

Originally posted by slupo View Post
                        Saw it on VOD last night and really enjoyed it.

I think that we're trained to look for shocking twists in a movie like this. But I think that's besides the point. It gives you a lot to think about anyway. We don't need anything like one of the two guys is a robot. It's enough that its a movie exploring what it means to be human, sexuality, relationships. And also what it means to be a woman and man in today's society. I think any kind of twist ending would've cheapened it. But that's just me.

One thing I thought was a bit of a plot hole was for how smart and well prepared Nathan was, I would imagine he'd have some sort of kill switch installed in Ava in case she got out of control. My gf said maybe that was his arrogance which is a good point. But just a minor speedbump in an otherwise entertainment and more importantly, ORIGINAL scifi movie.

UGH. Yes on the kill switch. That's the first thing that popped into my head. It was a good film, but I thought quite overrated. There were a number of plot/logic issues that vexed me a bit. There's simply no way he doesn't install a kill switch. I suppose I can buy him keeping the Asian Robot around simply because of his arrogance (but even that is a stretch). However, no kill switch, and not even a gun? (Keep in mind he's already a paranoid dude and by himself in an isolated area...) I also don't think the helicopter dude is just going to let some chick stroll up and get on when he's expecting Caleb. Nathan is a billionaire. Not the type of dude you just assume and take a story from a stranger at face value over. I feel like he'd at least try to confirm whatever story she pitched. Also, wouldn't her battery die soon?

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                          Also, wouldn't her battery die soon?
                          That was my question too.
                          "Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Comment

I really enjoyed this film. Great writing. Incredible performances. But in the end, I couldn't help feeling I wanted something more. It played out exactly as I had expected. It's still better than the vast majority of movies that I've seen this year, but with higher quality comes higher expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                              I really enjoyed this film. Great writing. Incredible performances. But in the end, I couldn't help feeling I wanted something more. It played out exactly as I had expected. It's still better than the vast majority of movies that I've seen this year, but with higher quality comes higher expectations.
                              I think great sci-fi's usually require a great story world to be memorable. I kinda forgot about Ex Machina a day after I saw it, but I STILL think about LOOPER to this day. It was just such a creative, bizarre, haunting dystopian world. But since Ex Machina basically took place in modern times, it felt a bit empty.

Self/Less had the same problem. I think it should've taken place in some dystopian future where mind transfer is common, and built a story around that. Instead, you had one cool 5 minute mind transfer scene, then 100 minutes of crummy gun fight / chase scenes in the modern world. YAWN.
                              I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Working...
                              X