X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nicholl 2020

Originally posted by figment View Post
    35k, actually...

I guess I'll be buying a Tesla instead of a Honda with my winnings.

Probably this one.

Comment

Originally posted by DaltWisney View Post
      $25k aside, it would seem like the main value of the competition for entrants is the possibility for reads/exposure, and even the QFs/SFs might offer some opportunities, so it's not all about being the last survivor on top of the mountain.

Good call and what my hope is. I'm sure that winning is luck of the draw. Quality + luck + politics, etc.

Did I read right that if you make it to the QF or SF you have to submit longer personal documents like a bio and letter of intent and things like that? Or do I remember wrong? Is the entire process anonymous and only about the script? Or just the first round(s)?

Comment

Originally posted by Merrick View Post
        Good call and what my hope is. I'm sure that winning is luck of the draw. Quality + luck + politics, etc.

Did I read right that if you make it to the QF or SF you have to submit longer personal documents like a bio and letter of intent and things like that? Or do I remember wrong? Is the entire process anonymous and only about the script? Or just the first round(s)?
        Unless it's changed, it's only when you reach the Finalists found (usually 10 scripts, give or take) that the extra documentation gets submitted so the committee can evaluate and discuss while they are selecting and awarding the Fellowships. That's how it happened to me (as a Finalist) many years ago.

Otherwise, I reckon it's all anonymous until the Finalist round.

Comment

That's cool. I really like the way the competition is run, seems fair all the way around. Did you win the fellowship or just make it as a finalist? Either way, congratulations, that's incredible.

Comment

Seconding acquformosa -- I've been a QF and top 10% and neither placement asked me to submit anything else. That doesn't happen until you're breathing really rarefied air.

Comment

I was a semi-finalist in 2015 and again in 2016. I didn't enter anything else until this year. See what happens.

Comment

I got stressed when someone commented on this thread that they received a QF announcement (when I hadn't).

I guess we should expect announcements within the next 1-3 weeks or so?

Comment

Yes. That's about right. I think it was July 17 in 2016. Around the same time every year.

Comment

Originally posted by rs422a View Post
                    Yes. That's about right. I think it was July 17 in 2016. Around the same time every year.
                    I got 2019 email on July 20. For what it's worth.

Comment

Great. Holding my breath. Good luck to all of you.

Comment

Originally posted by ClintW3 View Post
                        I got 2019 email on July 20. For what it's worth.
                        Do you mean in 2018? I thought notifications were sent out late last year?

Unless they come in waves. Not sure if they email everyone on the same day.

Comment

Originally posted by averagezachary View Post
                          Do you mean in 2018? I thought notifications were sent out late last year?

Mine was July 25th last year.

Comment

Originally posted by averagezachary View Post
                            The last few years I was there, all emails were sent out in about two hours.

Suspect it hasn't changed since.

Comment

Check your inboxes, they're here.

... and, I'm out.

Congrats to all who advanced.

Comment

I'm in.

Comment

Working...
                                X