Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Midpoint

I reckon 'midpoints' are only half the story.
    Last edited by Crayon; 06-14-2020, 04:26 PM. Reason: typo
    Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
    "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
      As I said, twice now, I was basing it on a recollection. I also stated that it was before I was interested in writing film, so maybe I misunderstood it at the time in my second post. Did you read that part, or just click on the link? I'm not sure what you expect me to say in response.

Um, I didn't say he revised Pulp Fiction into linear order.

I remember that there was this talk at the time, about how the editor had come up with a unique (significant) change during the editing process about the structure. Maybe I assumed that meant the overall structure. Perhaps my recollection is wrong. Perhaps I misunderstood all together. Perhaps someone at the time, did say that.

The point is, it's a recollection from 20+ years ago. There's no way for me to prove it to you, one way or another.

Congratulations on a long and successful career. If you ever want to share that practical experience with a writer very interested in the process, keep me in mind.

PE: I'm not trying to be controversial, simply made a statement based on what I recalled.
      I wasn't arguing with you - I was genuinely interested whether it could be true, as I find it very hard to revise Pulp Fiction's main structure in the edit.

Comment

Sometimes I like to make up really hard to pronounce last names and then have the hero have a nickname because how many times could you have a main with a one or two syllable last name?

Comment

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
          I wasn't arguing with you - I was genuinely interested whether it could be true, as I find it very hard to revise Pulp Fiction's main structure in the edit.
          Great, I'm glad to hear that. As I said, it was at the time and the reason I remembered was because it seemed to be unusual, but perhaps it had to do with her very unique style. Apologies for the confusion, and thanks for responding.
          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by tuukka View Post
            I use it simply to divide Act 2 into two parts. This helps me to make 2nd act more focused, and less meandering. Of course, every page in the script should be focused, and not meandering.

I think it's useful for inexperienced writers, if they still struggle with story structure. Otherwise, I don't see why it would be needed, except if you like it as a tool. I like it, so I use it.
            This is mostly what I was saying when I started the thread. It's a helpful tool -- especially when you are first starting out.

And I learned not having anything turn the story around by at least the MP is really going to your chances at a sale.

I had a spec go out and that's what we heard. We said we would rewrite it, some showed interest -- but the damage was already done.

We had a lot of important reps -- but none of them gave us the advice we needed before we sent out the spec which was to spice up the story as it's the same thing for too long.

Vacation movie -- it's always a vacation movie but then they learn they have to take Aunt Edna with them and that is what the midpoint would be to me. And then of course the opposite of the midpoint she dies.

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
              This is mostly what I was saying when I started the thread. It's a helpful tool -- especially when you are first starting out.

And I learned not having anything turn the story around by at least the MP is really going to your chances at a sale.

I had a spec go out and that's what we heard. We said we would rewrite it, some showed interest -- but the damage was already done.

We had a lot of important reps -- but none of them gave us the advice we needed before we sent out the spec which was to spice up the story as it's the same thing for too long.

Vacation movie -- it's always a vacation movie but then they learn they have to take Aunt Edna with them and that is what the midpoint would be to me. And then of course the opposite of the midpoint she dies.
              Surely adding an Aunt Edna, alive or dead at any point, isn't going to fix a 'vacation movie' script in which the vacation still hasn't started by the midpoint?
              Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
              "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
                Do you guys use the Midpoint as a guide when you plan out your next movie ideas?
                the character arc can be a decisive factor in planning the structure, I guess I think more about the opposition and how it promotes change within the protag for them achieve their goal.

Mostly because the opposition is directly related to the plot, so when you devise your first act you are going to reveal conflict in their ordinary world and that will be associated with the characterization of the protag and promote change
                Ricky Slade: Listen to me, I intentionally make this gun look that way because I am smart.

Comment

Working...
                X