Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience with Top Manager

Just for sh*ts and giggles I thought I would share with the DDP community my recent experience with a manager who is very well known. I'm not sure if my experience is unique but it just goes to show what an up and down business this is.

So I sent a few queries out on Virtualpitchfest.com and got a number of reads out of it. This manager got back to me very quickly, in fact the first communication I got from him was 7:15 am as I was pumping my gas. It said, "really into this so far." I was very excited, great way to start the day.

A couple days later he e mails and wants to meet my writing partner and I. We get to this place in West Hollywood and the guy is late, like really late. So late we just about left. Finally shows up. He's in jeans, a t-shirt, and a baseball hat. I treated this like a business meeting, he apparently didn't. No big deal. Just caught me off guard.

He starts talking a mile a minute how he loves the script. He goes on and on about the projects he's sending out right now. Then starts talking about how he loves to see his name in the trades, etc... I was able to get a couple questions in like, "Where do you see this landing ? You think it's a feature, streaming, or Premium Cable ?" He continues talking at a torrid pace, "Who the hell knows (he didn't use the word hell... but you get the idea)... I just stir the pot, where it ends up, we'll have to see."

My writing partner and I are just looking at this guy and wondering if all managers are like this or did we just catch the guy after a triple espresso. Seriously, are heads were spinning.

As he leaves he asks us to send him some of our other work. Great, we said. And when I got home I immediately sent him something else.

After about a hour and a half he leaves. We both look at each other for a couple minutes without saying a word. We had to decompress. We were both exhausted, yet excited about the possibilities.

On my drive home I was Jerry McGuire in that scene where he's driving in the car looking for the right song to play because he's so excited. I think I found "Free Falling" just like Jerry.

About four days layer I get an e mail about 10:15 at night from the manager. He says he's done some thinking and after talking with someone else in his office and some people around town he decided not take on the project. He said it wasn't his brand and thought it would be a tough sell.

To say I was stunned would be an understatement.

Since that time I have other people (producers, managers) like the script and are interested. We quickly signed with another manager and next week we will have polished it up and will send it out to the world.

Not sure how common our experience was but it was one to remember.

Re: Experience with Top Manager

Good Luck CC. I hope you hear good news.

Comment

Thanks. Will be in touch with you soon

Comment

So the flaky Bohemia guy fell through. Not surprised. Maybe the manager you met with was gauging your level of enthusiasm? Just a thought. At least you've got irons in other fires. All the best

Comment

If you said it was Brooklyn Weaver you met, I would not be surprised.

Comment

It was not Bohemia. I signed with Justin and Bohemia and couldn't be happier. It wasn't Brooklyn Weaver.

Comment

So happy you're taking meetings with other managers. Mkayyyy.

Comment

Not quite. I was taking meetings after I sent out my script. Was not signed with anyone.
                Last edited by CrissCross; 05-27-2017, 05:23 PM.

Comment

So, just out of curiosity ... was this manager someone who we might reasonably pseudonym xxx-xxx (edited out). (Would love it if you'd PM me the name, but understand if you don't want to).

This is a casual business. Agents wear suits. Managers don't.

The lateness is unreasonable. It happens occasionally. Responsible people call. Honestly it sounds like he might have been coked up - and certainly I've never had a meeting with anybody who was clearly on coke. So that's rare. This guy doesn't sound typical.

The fact that he doesn't trust his own judgement the moment he realizes it might be hard to set the script up, well, that's an issue, too. You want somebody whose enthusiasm doesn't wane when they hit a speed bump.

Sounds like the guy made it clear that he's not the manager for you. It's nice when people do that.
                  Last edited by Ronaldinho; 05-30-2017, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Pm'ed you

Comment

Working...
                    X