Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Once the Heart Walk is over...

i hate to be the bad guy but this is getting out of hand. Everyone on this site talks about people taking advantage of immature wtiters and I prsonally think this is another example of it. When does it end? How many charities are there? Hundreds and hundreds of people donate with the pipe dream someone at Bendersponk will read, love and represent their script and that's just not going to happen. Yeah, this is for a good cause but it's for his cause. He knows by flashing around the name "Benderspink" idiot writers will dish out their money thinking they actually have a script that will make it. If you had a script that was good enough you wouldn't have to take this route. What makes this worse is that he extends the deadline like any writing competition. On top of that he's throwing in another charity because he knows he has a list of suckers that will keep reaching in their pockets everytime he does this. I do an AIDS walk and Cancer walk every summer in my city but he is clearly taking advantage of these people and he knows it. I know I'm going to get a lot of heat for this but I don't care. I read these posts with all these people praising and saying "how great this is" when it is not. I would like to se this guy ask for donations on this forum without offering this service and you'll see how many he gets, probably not many at all and that's why he came up with this. If they were really serious about this they would offer a guaranteed rep to a certain amount of people. I haven't read these posts in awhile but didn't only 2 people get repped or something out of a thousand. Not to good of odds.

Comment

DDP, where no good deed goes unpunished

Comment

[quote=streaker12345;823800]i hate to be the bad guy but this is getting out of hand. Everyone on this site talks about people taking advantage of immature wtiters and I prsonally think this is another example of it. When does it end? How many charities are there? Hundreds and hundreds of people donate with the pipe dream someone at Bendersponk will read, love and represent their script and that's just not going to happen. Yeah, this is for a good cause but it's for his cause. He knows by flashing around the name "Benderspink" idiot writers will dish out their money thinking they actually have a script that will make it. If you had a script that was good enough you wouldn't have to take this route. What makes this worse is that he extends the deadline like any writing competition. On top of that he's throwing in another charity because he knows he has a list of suckers that will keep reaching in their pockets everytime he does this. I do an AIDS walk and Cancer walk every summer in my city but he is clearly taking advantage of these people and he knows it. I know I'm going to get a lot of heat for this but I don't care. I read these posts with all these people praising and saying "how great this is" when it is not. I would like to se this guy ask for donations on this forum without offering this service and you'll see how many he gets, probably not many at all and that's why he came up with this. If they were really serious about this they would offer a guaranteed rep to a certain amount of people. I haven't read these posts in awhile but didn't only 2 people get repped or something out of a thousand. Not to good of odds.[/quote]

Pretty bitter dude! I think those of us who may take advantage of Joe's generosity are probably big enough to look after ourselves though thanks very much for your concern. Maybe you don't want to follow this path but why leave a big stinking turd here in the room that may foul the chances for anyone who wants to give this a try?

Seriously, how would they guarantee a certain number of people to get repped? A lottery maybe? The first ten to submit?

To Joe9alt; know you are doing a good, positive thing. I don't know if I'll get anything in this year but best of luck to those who have donated and submitted.
        I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

I think some people forget that there is an element of charity here.
          It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Mike, what is not trustworthy about any element of what I'm doing? How has anything I've done over the past three years of doing this (or a version of it, I think the first year was only for TV pilots) not established "complete trust?"

Believe me, the American Heart Association, is fully aware of and fully onboard with what I'm doing and how I'm choosing to do it.

Originally posted by streaker12345 View Post
            i hate to be the bad guy but this is getting out of hand. Everyone on this site talks about people taking advantage of immature wtiters and I prsonally think this is another example of it. When does it end? How many charities are there? Hundreds and hundreds of people donate with the pipe dream someone at Bendersponk will read, love and represent their script and that's just not going to happen. Yeah, this is for a good cause but it's for his cause.
            You're wrong.

It's for his cause...

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/1...or-pierce.html

And his cause...

http://www.tacomaweekly.com/citylife...on-prevention/

And countless others.

But if you want it to be for YOUR cause then go ahead and duplicate my efforts to benefit whatever charity you like.

And if you don't want to support the American Heart Association's cause then don't donate. It's as simple as that.

He knows by flashing around the name "Benderspink" idiot writers will dish out their money thinking they actually have a script that will make it. If you had a script that was good enough you wouldn't have to take this route. What makes this worse is that he extends the deadline like any writing competition. On top of that he's throwing in another charity because he knows he has a list of suckers that will keep reaching in their pockets everytime he does this. I do an AIDS walk and Cancer walk every summer in my city but he is clearly taking advantage of these people and he knows it. I know I'm going to get a lot of heat for this but I don't care. I read these posts with all these people praising and saying "how great this is" when it is not.
            How is it not? What's bad about it? What's nefarious or ill intended? If I'm "taking advantage" exactly what am I gaining out of this? Name one thing.

Writers who donate are getting a shot. Maybe they tried sending out queries for their script and got rejected but they believe in it and they're doing this to support a great cause and get a real shot in the process? Or maybe they're completely insane and have sent me a pdf of a script written in crayon on construction paper for whatever reason. I personally don't give a flying **** what anybody's motivation is in supporting this cause. I hope their motivation comes from a positive source but if they're some evil mofo saying to themselves, "I could care less about fighting heart disease and stroke -- I just want my script read in Hollywood" guess what, every cent of their money STILL goes toward the American Heart Association's cause and people like Jeremiah and Jon maybe get the help they need.

I would like to se this guy ask for donations on this forum without offering this service and you'll see how many he gets, probably not many at all and that's why he came up with this. If they were really serious about this they would offer a guaranteed rep to a certain amount of people. I haven't read these posts in awhile but didn't only 2 people get repped or something out of a thousand. Not to good of odds.
            What happened? Did you donate and got rejected and now you're convinced this is really some doomsday plot? Gimme a break. So for a $25 dollar donation a Hollywood manager is going to agree to rep you when they have not read your work and might not feel passionate about it or think you're talented enough to take on? That's downright moronic, dude, and you're declaring yourself by making a statement like that. It's dumb.

Look, nobody does anything for nothing. Life has taught me that. I learned at an early age that people like to get something out of any transaction. Am I kidding myself and saying that the primary motivation of people who donate is to support the charity? No. They want their script read by Benderspink (yup, I dropped the name again. What?) -- they want a shot -- and that's fine. Supporting the charity is just a cherry on top.

But I've had several people donate and not send ANY script -- they donated just to donate -- because they know it's a good cause -- because they know at this point this isn't some ruse.

I mean what's your theory, dude -- I'm some master villain trying to dupe new writers into supporting the American Heart Association.

You know what, I'm sick of dealing with morons. I'm sick of dealing with idiots. I'm nobody's white knight. If you come out like this guy with idiotic statements I will come down on you with an iron ****ing fist.

And Mike, the American Heart Association has already had to deal with a moron complaining to them that this was a "scam" -- they just assumed (probably rightfully) that the bitch was off her nut and carried on about their day. When they saw me they told me about it and we all had a good chuckle.

Do you realize how dumb it is to imply ANYTHING is remotely shady about this? You are donating directly to the American Heart Association via their website. You are getting a receipt emailed to you directly by an employee of the American Heart Association. What do you want - Mother Teresa to rise from the grave, give you a pat on the back and tell you good job? Gimme a break.

Extend the deadline? Dude, THERE IS NO DEADLINE! I have told people from the jump they can donate now and submit their script WHENEVER they want to...whenever they feel it's ready.

This is giving me a massive headache but I'm doing my best to not judge the majority on the actions of a few.
            "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

I don't speak from personal experience, but Crohns is a horrible, devestating illness that causes tremendous suffering to those who are afflicted by it. I think it would be an excellent choice.

Once again, kudos to you for helping us get our scripts read while supporting a great cause. In the past I've paid money to enter contests and, even if I made it into the finals or semi-finals, felt like I had flushed my money down the toilet. Not so with the $100 bucks I contributed to the Heartwalk. joe9alt, do NOT let the general negative vibe of some DD users get you down.

Cheers,

B
              SIX-GUN GORILLA: LONG DAYS OF VENGEANCE.
              http://www.sixgungorilla.com/
              https://www.facebook.com/SixGunGorilla
              sigpic
              "... (an) indie powerhouse of a book.- - AIN'T IT COOL NEWS

Comment

Don't let it get to you, Joe. I think anyone who's spent a lot of time on DDP could have predicted that someone would eventually accuse you of nefarious intent.

Keep up the good work.
                Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Are there REALLY people bitching about this? This is the equivalent of a talent scout from the Chicago Bulls offering to watch your next game because you gave him directions or changed his tire. Say thank you, write something, and see what happens.

Now, to Joe: Call me dense, but is there going to be a Chron's related donation window, or not? If not, I'll just hurry up and make another HW donation, but if there is, I might spread things out. Thanks!

P.S.: I recommend a pre-race Rocky-style training montage for optimum results.

Comment

i hate to be the bad guy but this is getting out of hand. Everyone on this site talks about people taking advantage of immature wtiters and I prsonally think this is another example of it. When does it end? How many charities are there? Hundreds and hundreds of people donate with the pipe dream someone at Bendersponk will read, love and represent their script and that's just not going to happen. Yeah, this is for a good cause but it's for his cause. He knows by flashing around the name "Benderspink" idiot writers will dish out their money thinking they actually have a script that will make it. If you had a script that was good enough you wouldn't have to take this route. What makes this worse is that he extends the deadline like any writing competition. On top of that he's throwing in another charity because he knows he has a list of suckers that will keep reaching in their pockets everytime he does this. I do an AIDS walk and Cancer walk every summer in my city but he is clearly taking advantage of these people and he knows it. I know I'm going to get a lot of heat for this but I don't care. I read these posts with all these people praising and saying "how great this is" when it is not. I would like to se this guy ask for donations on this forum without offering this service and you'll see how many he gets, probably not many at all and that's why he came up with this. If they were really serious about this they would offer a guaranteed rep to a certain amount of people. I haven't read these posts in awhile but didn't only 2 people get repped or something out of a thousand. Not to good of odds.

Hands down the scummiest post I have read on DDP in years.

You don't speak for anyone here but yourself, and, judging by your total lack of command of English and grammar, you should probably give that up too.

I donated money to the 2011 Heartwalk, even though I had nothing ready to submit, because it's a good thing to do and a great cause and everyone's family has been touched by heart disease.

I donated money again last month, because I am almost done with something I am satisfied with enough to submit, even though Joe assured me that I didn't have to re-up, that last year's contribution was good for a read indefinitely.

You have to expect to attract a fair percentage of assh0les on the internet, and even more than that when you're drawing from a pool of wanna-be writers, but good god some of you deserve to have your teeth knocked out (and I don't just mean the people posting here... I mean the one's trying to do the end-around with Dan or making accusations and trying to spoil a good thing because he didn't respond to your (probably crappy) script).

I hate to waste my time by even posting here at all, but something about being called an idiot and a sucker for doing something charitable really sets me off.

Whew..... I feel better. Thanks again for doing this Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by omdufro View Post

Now, to Joe: Call me dense, but is there going to be a Chron's related donation window, or not? If not, I'll just hurry up and make another HW donation, but if there is, I might spread things out. Thanks!

P.S.: I recommend a pre-race Rocky-style training montage for optimum results.
                      I don't think so, man. I'm sorry but I probably need a break. I shouldn't be letting this crap get to me like this.

I'll have to figure out not being a fat ass on my own.

You can donate to the AHA up until the date of the heart walk (oct 6th) then submit your script whenever it's ready.
                      "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Wow. Definitely a STFU warranted.

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
                          I don't think so, man. I'm sorry but I probably need a break. I shouldn't be letting this crap get to me like this.

I'll have to figure out not being a fat ass on my own.

You can donate to the AHA up until the date of the heart walk (oct 6th) then submit your script whenever it's ready.
                          Dude, don't worry about it! I totally understand. You & Daniel have done a great thing. Take some time to relax, and don't let the haters get you down. I'll shoot you an email when I make my next donation in case Dan needs a release for every script or something. Have a good day!

Comment

Joe: "I will literally cut off my left arm if it'll help someone get a read at Benderspink."

Random DDer: "Yeah, but you're right-handed, dude, so it's not really a big commitment on your part."

Comment

Originally posted by SuperScribe View Post
                              Joe: "I will literally cut off my left arm if it'll help someone get a read at Benderspink."

Random DDer: "Yeah, but you're right-handed, dude, so it's not really a big commitment on your part."
                              LOOOOOOL

Most excellent.

Comment

No race-day singlet??? NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! And I was oh so ready to sit on my stump, snap sweaty images and photo-shop Jessica Alba's face so I could add you to my next youtube dance mix... partypooper.

Comment

Working...
                                X