When is the best time to enter a competition?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When is the best time to enter a competition?

Originally posted by Nostalgialover View Post
    Friday, here's the link for the GirlinGray post:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=82156

Thanks Nostalgia. I remember that thread now....just wasn't sure where it was - so, nice of you to dig it out. That site lists a few contests I'm not as familiar with like Finish the Line and Slamdance.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
      Thanks. What do you usually look for when you're reading for Austin? How do you grade the scripts you get? Does Austin have specific criteria they ask readers to look for?

I didn't see the GirlinGrey list...is that on this thread? I've never entered a contest, so I am only starting to read up on them. They seem intriguing, considering how some A list writers have launched their careers from them.
      When I read for Austin, it was just find the best material within the genre you're reading. I don't recall specific criteria.

Other contests I'd consider entering are Slamdance and Blue Cat.

Comment

Originally posted by lostfootage View Post
        When I read for Austin, it was just find the best material within the genre you're reading. I don't recall specific criteria.

Other contests I'd consider entering are Slamdance and Blue Cat.
        Thanks.

Comment

If your script is truly amazing, entering early also has an interesting effect that works in your favor. Once a judge finds a script they feel is "WOW" amazing, it will stick in their minds. But if another equally "WOW" script or better comes along later, they'll feel hesitant about knocking off the first "WOW" that they'd decided on.

It's similar to the human psychology of making a judgment within the first 10 pages and afterward finding reasons to justify their reaction.

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
          For most (all?) contests, I wouldn't think you'd get any more reads entering at one time than another. They have rules and guidelines set up about how many times a script gets read. Generally: A) you enter. B) Someone reads it and scores it (or does a Yes/No.) C) Then depending on the contest, maybe it goes to another reader-- sometimes this is at the same round, other times this is once you have moved to a new level. The Nicholl has their whole system explained on the website. Other contests might as well.

Like the previous poster said, it doesn't matter. HOWEVER, if you're a worry-wart and try to psych it out, here's my 2 cents:

I'd say that generally in the early days of contest reading, readers are bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. That's good because they aren't jaded. On the other hand, it could be that the last script they read was some Oscar-winning classic and your script could be one of the ones that jades them.

Enter in the middle and they've already read a bunch of okay scripts, some meh scripts, some good ones and some terrible ones. Yours will get a fair read.

Enter in the end and there is a chance you'll get a reader who has read a heck of a lot of scripts and might sigh at the sight of yet another zombie script or whatever. But yours could be the diamond in the rough that gives them that re-charge they need.

Readers strive to be as professional as possible and give the most fair read they can, no matter how many scripts they've read.

Just enter it when it's ready. I'd avoid the opening day in January and the last possible hour before the ultra-late deadline.
          Last edited by nguyensquared; 02-19-2018, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X