Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling Book and its Script Simultaneously

Hi, I'm a newbie here, and I couldn't find a thread about this. If there is one, can someone please direct me to it?

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if you stand a better chance of success if you try to sell a novel and its corresponding script (as did the author of a "Simple Plan") as a package deal?

No, it isn't. Best route is to sell the book to a publisher, sell the film rights, then negotiate to write the script.

Comment

In my case, I've been trying to sell my novel with zero interest from publishers, yet now I have turned it into a screenplay things are beginning to happen. Like everything else in this business, no one knows...

Comment

A rep who used to work with my manager repped plenty of book writers.

Unfortunately my sense is that buying the film rights to your book is a business decision that only makes sense if you're already proven as bankable business in the book industry or some similar medium (witness Neil Gaiman's continued ability to sell the film rights to his comic book works even though none as been filmed yet.)

Comment

S Queen.

Actually you could look at this whole thing backwards. If you sell the screenplay and the film is made you should be able to sell the book without too much of a problem. Look at it this way, ten of thousands of books published vs. how many movies. If the film gets made you've climbed the mountain, the book world is a hill. Good Luck

Comment

That is, unless the publisher hires Max Allan Collins to write a novelisation of your script. If you sell the book first you have a better chance of at least getting some serious looks at your script. If you sell the script first, unless the film is a huge hit, the book doesn't follow naturally afterwards. And if you put your book in the hands of an agent, he or she will want either to offer it directly to producers or (more commonly) have it co-agented in Hollywood. That's just how it is.

Comment

"And if you put your book in the hands of an agent, he or she will want either to offer it directly to producers or (more commonly) have it co-agented in Hollywood. That's just how it is."

Do you think that's how John Grisham got his book into the hands of Tom Cruise so quickly for "The Firm"? Although Grisham didn't write the screenplay for that movie.

And in Scott Smith's case, didn't he have the screenplay ready to go -- along with his book -- for the movie "The Simple Plan"?

Thanks to everyone above for their great advice.

Comment

Typically (and my literary agent, who handles a number of bestselling authors with film sales--one of which opened today--has told me this time and again; which is why my screenplays are handled by a Hollywood manager) the book rights are secured first. Then the MS. goes off to the co-agent in H'wood, where film rights are sought. I think, especially if you have no publishing or film credits to your name, that this is the route to take.

Comment

Thanks Jake, sounds logical to me.

Comment

Working...
                  X