No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Abbot Management

Hi, Why One,

Just wanted to answer your last question on the other thread that was closed, and also Bono's as to the point.

Why, of course your logic is impeccable. And if I had a choice, I'd certainly choose the former. If you have any information, use it.

I'm just saying that research may not get you anywhere because it is more often scarce and lacking, and more often than not a newbie does not have a choice.

This Abbot rep firm does not give up much info; but if that is the only rep I had, I would have to use it, despite the info available.

Thanks for your input, everyone. We can lay this to rest now.

Comment

A little birdie just told me that Abbot is now open for biz to producers....
      http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
        A little birdie just told me that Abbot is now open for biz to producers....
        Yes. I got a message from them around 07 year-end that they had finished up the tech stuff with the website and were opening it up for a select group of producers to be able to view scripts. They will make it accessible to more as they work out any bugs that may come up.

They are a pretty cool, ambitious, little company. Their readers are mean though!

chip
        My first crack at a logline usually makes a great synopsis!

Comment

Saw someone was reading this, so I will toss in my 2 cents.

ABM "hires", "Development Interns" from a Craigslist.org posting in both the Los Angeles board AND New York board. These are NOT professional readers. I submitted my first script for S&G, and received excellent ratings in the coverage. However, since they have sent "Buyer Logins" to all of their professional contacts, not one person has sent me an email.

I asked ABM to take my profile down because it was worthless to me.

If you would like us to delete your script we will, that is not a problem.

That being said, if I do this there is no going back, so if I could first ask why?

We will need some time to get our buyers login going, however your script has scored very high and as such we are confident that we can get production companies interested in your material. We would never charge you a penny unless we were 100% responsible for initiating a sale, and would never share your script with anyone, without your permission. You are encouraged and allowed to pursue alternate routes of selling your script.

Best,

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by DBense18 View Post
            Saw someone was reading this, so I will toss in my 2 cents.

ABM "hires", "Development Interns" from a Craigslist.org posting in both the Los Angeles board AND New York board. These are NOT professional readers. I submitted my first script for S&G, and received excellent ratings in the coverage. However, since they have sent "Buyer Logins" to all of their professional contacts, not one person has sent me an email.

I asked ABM to take my profile down because it was worthless to me.
            I can say that from the writers I know, this seems to be the general conclusion, that no one has gotten any bites from this "buyers login".
            Last edited by LIMAMA; 04-04-2009, 11:56 AM. Reason: me

Comment

Re: Abbot Management: ABM readers

While I have no idea where Tim and the ABM staff find their readers, I have to say my experiences with them have been great. I've dealt with two of their readers on two different scripts, and while I didn't agree with everything they said (does anyone ever?) I responded to their coverage (directly to them) with very detailed and lengthy questions asking them to further explain their comments. Both clearly put a lot of thought and effort into their responses, which I found were lining up with feedback from others.

The result has been a page 1 rewrite for one of them, and being only half way through I know this will be a significantly better script when I'm finished. So, wherever they are finding their readers, they seem to have found some very good ones. Yeah, my experience in the business is shallow compared to some of you, but so far this company has been a good experience for me.

Chip
              My first crack at a logline usually makes a great synopsis!

Comment

Re: Abbot Management: ABM readers

Originally posted by ChipC View Post
                While I have no idea where Tim and the ABM staff find their readers
                Craigslist.org -- Writing Gigs. I've seen multiple ads at various times. They get flagged down because they expect the reader/intern to work for free.

Comment

From what I understand of the Abbott reader structure, they have an A list of readers, and a C list. If your script gets past the C reader, it's bumped up to the A list.

Comment

I was wrong -- They are called "Script Reading Interns".

http://www.mandy.com/1/jobs3.cfm?v=32731685

ABM seeks a Script Reader Intern to read screenplays and write coverage. Must commit to reading 2 screenplays per week and writing corresponding coverage. Responsibilities also include communicating with other readers and screenwriters.

ABM is a start-up management firm that specializes in finding producers and agents for high quality film and television scripts. After evaluating 3000+ screenplay submissions, we have placed screenplays with major production companies and talent. We currently represent 12 screenwriters, and receive ~10 daily submissions. As a script reader, you will help us evaluate these new writer submissions.

This is an unpaid work from home opportunity and is rewarded in experience and knowledge.

Applicants must have experience working with screenplays, preferably in an academic and professional setting.

Please e-mail your resume along with a cover letter detailing your experience working with scripts.

Comment

Did you guys know that Abbot wants 15 percent?!

Comment

I've also heard that Cody Cannell is no longer affliated with Abbott.

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
                          I've also heard that Cody Cannell is no longer affliated with Abbott.
                          Yeah, his name doesn't appear on the website anywhere.

Comment

Doing a search on coverage - advice, opportunities, stuff like that - and came across this thread. I've been writing coverage for Abbot for some months now and I'd like to add my 2 cents.
                            No, I'm not going to cheerlead for them, so don't mind my newby status. I'm only going to say they gave me a chance to develop a portfolio - above and beyond 6+ years writing notes via TrigSt, Zoetrope, Meetup groups etc. They helped me learn, grow and really develop my critical thinking where I needed it (like, for instance, structure). And yes, all for free. This goes for Tim, our director, and for the other readers on the team - we are required to review each others' work and come to a consensus if we disagree on a script.
                            Would I rather be collecting a reader's fees? Uhh...DUH. Everyone has to start somewhere. And studios want readers with experience, same as any other job. Now you tell me how one can get experience without a job.

So, that's my opinion. And Code7Films, I'm sorry if your coverage didn't pan out, but writing us all off as bozos because of this is a little unfair. Remember, you can always resubmit at no cost whatsoever for a second opinion or complain to management.
                            What I have crossed out, I didn't like. What I haven't crossed out, I am dissatisfied with.
                            (Cecil B. DeMille's notes to an unknown screenwriter)

Comment

Tim is a nice guy, that's true, but otherwise Abbot Management is just another Ink Tip (but for free).

Comment

Originally posted by Jhnnyferrari View Post
                                Did you guys know that Abbot wants 15 percent?!
                                Where did you read/hear that?

Comment

Working...
                                X