No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recommendations?

Originally posted by streaker12345 View Post
    I don't have a manager but I have a samll number of contacts that will take a look at loglines I send them and if interested will take a look at the script. I'm all for helping each other and working together. It's hard enough to break into this business alone. That's me, but what from I've read on this site most people won't lift a finger to help someone else.
    I don't think that's entirely true. But there have to be reasonable expectations.

Yesterday I posted publicly, requesting a manager's email address. I had responses in seconds. And it's an address I couldn't find via google.

A small thing? Sure, in some ways, but they could have read my post, turned off the computer and opened a beer.

But referring to a manager... that's much bigger. That's as dangerous as setting two friends up on a blind date. It could jeopardize all kinds of relationships. Even if they hit it off at first. Which isn't to say that you shouldn't do it, but it requires an intimacy that few people can develop online.

Personally, I'd have to know:

a) The person's talented
    b) In need of actual help
    c) Not a pr1ck.

Those would be my requirements. And then I would happily refer. But being sure of (c) is very hard to do online, so when I WAS managed, the one referral I made was for someone I knew in real life.

Comment

Originally posted by Farnsworth View Post
      You have to realize, streaker, that aspiring writers are not in a position to recommend others. Even professional writers usually don't make recommendations. Why? Because hustling for yourself is job number one. A writer has no financial incentive to hook you up.
      The first part about aspiring writers is true. But the second...

I know many, many, many, many, professional writers who refer people they know.

Thank goodness that everyone on Earth does not mitigate their actions on the basis of financial incentive.

Comment

It was Steve Oedekerk at a writer's conference who said that screenwriters have no incentive to make recommendations on the behalf of other writers.

Comment

Originally posted by Farnsworth View Post
          It was Steve Oedekerk at a writer's conference who said that screenwriters have no incentive to make recommendations on the behalf of other writers.
          Well, I can understand why he would say that. Who wants more competition, and it's not like you make any money from it.

But -- lots of people do things with no obvious incentive. Some people actually like to help their friends, and even more shocking is that some people actually LIKE to see other people succeed.

Comment

Yes, people do it. But my own cousin didn't refer me to his manager/agent UNTIL after I optioned a script. And I understand it. He didn't want to put his neck out for me, but after I proved that my writing had some merit, he did.

I did recommended a friend to my last manager and I do help people when I can.

But with my new manager, I wouldn't recommend anyone until after we have some success with him. It just feels like I need to have a leg to stand on before I recommended a writer to them.

Everyone has their own thing, to each his own. I like to help other writers, it makes me feel good. But also realize I'm still a nobody, so most people don't care about my opinion.

But hopefully soon, I'll have success and have the power to help others.

Comment

And since I know who your manager is, Bono, I wouldn't do anything like that either. You worked long and hard landing that rep. You've got to look after yourself and nurture your relationship. As a writer you are competing for a limited number of writing slots. Why increase that competition?

Comment

Hi, everybody.

Sup, big Farns?

Corona
                I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
                I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

What up, J?

Should have seen the post that said I must know how Rhianna felt. Priceless.

Comment

I seen it.

I know what Chris Brown feels like.

I'm just playing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corona
                    I love you, Reyna . . .

Brown-Balled by the Hollywood Clika

Latino Heart Project's MEXICAN HEART...ATTACK!
                    I ain't no punk b1tch...

Comment

There seem to be two levels here and in general.

The more successful/pro writer and the less successful/aspiring writer. It's been my experience that the aspiring writer is far more generous with their time and help. The interaction I've had with most of the pros (CERTAINLY not all) is that once the words rep, manager, or "hey, would you mind..." are uttered, you're dismissed.

It's totally fine with me. No one owes anyone else a damn thing and if you're relying on someone in the game to reach down and pull you in out of the clear blue easy, you're a major idiot with serious flaws in your business plan.

It's tough to get to know someone enough in an online community to comfortably refer them. And no one in any business is going to roll the dice to help someone they don't even know with nothing more than downside if they're eventually embarrassed by the referral. That's not just HW, that's anywhere.

Nothing here we all don't already know. But If there is a pro writer out there who's reaching out with altruistc intentions, just to help the struggling writer get into the game, I've yet to meet him/her.

Cue the "your stuff must suck" and the "Pros are too busy" responses.

Comment

I've had pros send my material to their reps. One has been an executive producer on numerous hit TV shows was incredibly gracious with his time and advice. In turn, I have recommended other writers to my reps, though I am not a heavyweight by any means. If I read a great script, I'll pass it along to whoever I can, especially if I like the writer. No reason not to.

The idea that you're just creating more competition for yourself doesn't really hold water for me -- there will always be a vast, insurmountable mountain of competition. Tossing one more writer into the mix isn't going to tip the cosmic scales against you. Also, it's good for your soul to try and help others.
                        "There's one way to guarantee something won't be in the movie: put it in the screenplay."
                        -Dan O'Bannon

Comment

I understand that Rhianna recommended Chris Brown to an agent in the industry, and look where it got her. (That's a joke. Had to stay on topic.)

Comment

I hope you don't write comedy.

For everyone's sake.
                            @PatriotFrames

Comment

Originally posted by Shot Across the Bow View Post
                              I've had pros send my material to their reps. One has been an executive producer on numerous hit TV shows was incredibly gracious with his time and advice. In turn, I have recommended other writers to my reps, though I am not a heavyweight by any means. If I read a great script, I'll pass it along to whoever I can, especially if I like the writer. No reason not to.

The idea that you're just creating more competition for yourself doesn't really hold water for me -- there will always be a vast, insurmountable mountain of competition. Tossing one more writer into the mix isn't going to tip the cosmic scales against you. Also, it's good for your soul to try and help others.

Thank you. this has been my experience as well.

Comment

But there is really no reason or incentive for doing so.

If you want to be helpful to others, on Thanksgiving you can serve turkey dinners to the homeless.

If you are in a race for a limited number of prizes, why would you recruit another runner?

Comment

Working...
                                X